• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monster Sharks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Loopy, dont you sleep bud?
it seems like you're online 23/24 hrs.

Ah bite me :p

My computer in my room is on the Uni LAN so it's always on the net... been working flat out to knock over some of my thesis before I go diving for the weekend :) ANd yeah... DB is so much more interesting than uni :)

hi

Griff Loopy and Shadow are online on our Oz spearing forum 24/7 alright everytime I log on I see there names down the bottom. :D

And Griff you gotta agree with me bud that 24C is not exactly warm :D I remember reading Jimmy Uys story about his record black marlin in SAfrica he said he jumped in and the vis was incredible over 50m he says, So there must be some clear water there eh.

Loopy your parents are moving here thats cool, does your dad spearfish. I'll have to think about giving you my precious marks maybe I will give you the one in 130 ft with lots of sharks Ha HA :D

Seriously are you moving here as well, only thing is I mainly spearfish I dont do the freediving stuff like Wal does so you may be dissapointed.

cheers

tiger shark

hey everyone
on the subject of tiger sharks,i live in central florida on the west coast.back in the mid 80's some people were out fishing in 20 fsw when they hooked a 14 ft. tiger.
when they drug it into the marina it was still alive,it was by far the biggest shark i have ever seen.
spearfishing being my main enjoyment i have never seen a tiger but the bull sharks show up and run me back to the boat occasionaly.i love diving to much to give up because i might see a shark;i just hop back in the boat when they do show up.
any dive trip beats work
aquadog

hi

Yeah that works 90% of the time the other 10% is when the shark attacks from behind with pure aggression then you got NO chance but anyway thats the risk with spearfishing and it will always be there.

cheers

loopy, so you're also doing a thesis on spearo chat forums, or so it would seem looking at how much time is spent on what.

Ivan, we do get good viz, but good is 15-20m. very rarely its over 20m. where jimmy shot his fish is where abri spent his time diving, sodwana, and its clean there most of the time. further down the coast we have bigger rivers which dump tons of silt into the water, then our north easterly blows it along the coast, so shorediving is very rarely clean. we usually make do with 5m.
as for water temps. in summer, if the ocean currents come in close we get to about 25 deg, but in winter, we get cold inshore currents (during the sardine run) and it drops to about 17 deg.
when i dive in summer in my 2 peice 5 mil i have to keep the hood down, and pump cold water through my suit every 5 mins, otherwise i'd die!

Hi

Glad to see I'm not the only one who is sh*t scared of sharks.

Evil things hey ?

Cheers Reinier

Nah, my thesis is basically a mini remote controlled submarine... the forums just keep me awake :D

what the!?

What the hell man! That is one big frickin shark. I'm talking about the dead one. The head alone must weigh close to 50 pounds. So how big do they think that tiger was? 20 feet, bigger? Makes me glad I didn't dive blue water alone last Thursday. Got some new toys to try today so that picture is regretably forever burned into my memory. Next question, what is the biggest/baddest shark anybody out there encounter. Watch yourselves gang, don't want to hear some tragic story about fellow divers.

Brad :martial

hi Brad

The biggest shark ive seen is a 14ft Tiger, but I tell you the shark that ate that hammerhead in the photo would have been well over 20ft.

Griff as long as your country keeps producing giant marlin I reckon I could almost handle those summer conditions but 17C in winter BRRRRR.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
hi Brad

but I tell you the shark that ate that hammerhead in the photo would have been well over 20ft.

cheers

This is freezing my blood.
I can not understand why experts didn`t guess the length of the shark from the bite, did they?

hi

Every time I look at that photo (I've put it on my Desktop) I get scared to even frikkin bath man!!!!

I saw this one program on the telly about the anncectors of the GWS. I think it they called it a Mastedon or something like that. They said it was between 10 and 15m long and the teeth were about 15 - 20 cm. Every time I dive I think about that damn program. In it they say all might not be extinct...

Cheers Reinier

I think the name of that GWS ancestor was carcaradon megladon, sp?. Yeah a friend of mine has some fossilized teeth of one. I truely hope those guys are extinct. Think about it, a shark that hunts and eats 15 foot whites and tigers. I think I would hang up my fins and learn to hunt on land.

Brad :martial

Wow! I had heard the story, but that's the first I'd seen the picture. Definitely makes you think twice. But, just in case you thought you were safe with smaller sharks, I can relate a similar experience here in Fla. During a fishing outing last summer a eight or nine foot hammerhead was being brought in, but it wasn't putting up much of a fight (of course at the time no one had seen it, so it wasn't known yet that it was a hammerhead). When it was brought up it was still barely alive, but nearly decapitated. Two bites on either side of the head. Prime suspect, a bull.

Makes you think twice, but can't stay out of the water because of that.

-m

SAFishShooter and w3ac:

The shark you're talking about, the Megalodon, is most definitely not extinct. They're bottom feeders and scanvangers, but usually in really deep water (ie kilometers deep). There's some really good underwater footage where some scintists set up a video camera on a dead whale on the ocean floor. Not much happens for a while, bu after a few days, this huge shark comes up and gobbles it down... that's a megalodon. From memory, that footage is in the DVD set 'Blue Planet'.

Thanks a lot Loopy! I was just getting comfortable with my false sense of security. Where can I find that DVD? I wanna see this beast of a shark. Yeah, I do like horror flicks.

Brad:martial

Hahaha

Grab it from a video shop first, because I'm not 100% that that's the right movie (even though it is one the best, if not the best, underwater film I think I've ever seen). Ummm, try Amazon.com? Two seconds, I'll look it up for you :)

Wow, you guys get a 4 DVD set!! The one I saw was only 2 DVD's... hmmm, now I wanna buy this one :D

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069HXC/qid=1048025054/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-9384850-8703121?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846"]Amazon.com: The Blue Planet - Seas of Life Collector's Set (Parts 1-4): David Attenborough, Alastair Fothergill, Andrew Byatt: Movies & TV[/ame]

hi Loopy

I saw some of the teeth of that Megaldon ast Rodney Foxes shark museum in South Australia they were big but fairly blunt.

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT