• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monster Sharks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My dad has one over his desk. 5.5in from tip to tip along the side of the V.

big fishy....

Willer

hi

Willer is it sharp or blunt all the ones I saw were much blunter than the Tiger and White teeth.

cheers

I really don't care how blunt those teeth are, they are still triangular shaped and embedded in huge mandibles, powered by even bigger maseters. Hopefully they stay in those mandible and not in then through my thorasic cavity.:blackeye

Brad :martial

Andrew, you also have to remember that the teeth are fossils and are probably worn down quite a bit :blackeye

AFAIK charcarodon megalodon IS extinct . Don't confuse it with the megamouth shark ; another monster of the deep is the six - gill shark

That hammerhead cut up like that by a tiger did made me a little nervous last Saturday dive on a new location. Since my area is the Indian Ocean some might sneak in to the shallows where I hunt ......:confused:

Anyway I believe death is fated, so I'm still diving....:D Lucyk me never even get any of fish taken by a shark....touch wood...touch wood.

hi

Iya you have never had a shark take your fish, holy bejesus thats lucky man not only do the mongrel sharks give our fish a flogging but so do those pesky barracuda. You have a shark pod on do ya :hmm

cheers

Originally posted by loopy
SAFishShooter and w3ac:

The shark you're talking about, the Megalodon, is most definitely not extinct. They're bottom feeders and scanvangers, but usually in really deep water (ie kilometers deep). There's some really good underwater footage where some scintists set up a video camera on a dead whale on the ocean floor. Not much happens for a while, bu after a few days, this huge shark comes up and gobbles it down... that's a megalodon. From memory, that footage is in the DVD set 'Blue Planet'.

i believe there is still speculation about the extinct state of the megalodon - i also remember seeing that footage from blue planet, and it was a 6 gilled shark that feasted on the whale, and it didn't gobble it up! - it was just scavenging.

Ivan,

With not much sharks around it means there are not much fish to shoot too, I guess that's a normal eco balance.

I don't have problem too with Barracuda here, most fishes here fear people.

One thing for sure since I do not use a float line, the distance between my fish and me can't be any longer than my shooting line. I guess the shark find me too close to grab my fish or my bubbles looks un-delicous...he he he.

I hope & pray I will never see any sharks other than white and black tip....... :D :D My balls are rated only for them species...

Reactions: loopy
hi

He He Iya when you come here or Sa will have to break you in on some real shark action eh :D

cheers

Ivan,
You seem to have the most 'shark' experience on this forum.
So is there any chance seeing GWS in GBR, gold or sunshine coast?
I'm going 3-25 April. I find sharks to be the most incredible animal in the ocean (except for taking fish on the float, I've had more problems w/ dolphins than sharks i've been lucky). To date the biggest have been a 12' Mako (his head was 3X as wide as my fins are!) and a 17' tiger (it went from on bow to the other which is 17'). Too bad I was so excited I only got one ok shot using a disposable one of my passengers had. The rest I was cuting off half the body (I was a little excited :eek:

The only shark that's on my list to swim with is a GWS, I don't want to pet it or ride it...just look and go home whole:duh

Aloha Chris

Chris - What types of problems have you had with dolphins. I'm curious about that, before I get in the water with them.

I've seen a six gill

Yeah I got to see one and it was wild. I convinced my wife to get in the cold water here for the first time and she asked me if there were any sharks in the water. I told her that there was nothing other than mud sharks or spiny dogfish. We were freediving with no guns. We were diving at the same time same depth simultaniously and leveled off at 10 metres with the bottom some 5-7 metres further below. We were looking at the sandy bottom on that late spring early summer day when what I thought was a dogfish of whacking porportions passed below us. It was nearly 3 metres in length but I can't be certain, because I was distracted by my wife sprinting for the surface. I tried to follow the shark but it slid out of vis before I could get some bearings :waterwork I surfaced quickly to check on my wife. I got hit with her snorkel for being a lyer(read Italian wife);) For a long time I thought I saw a record size dogfish but an old salt here on this island told me I saw a six gill. The thing that I remember the most was the shark I saw had only one dorsal fin.
Brad I guess I actually saw a real shark and I didn't even know it untill today. As I have been told the record six gill was 4.7metres, 590kg for a Pacific specimen and they are non aggressive scavengers. Are there any Canadian divers here who have seen the same(scuba or free)?

& if you'd like to save the vid from Amph's link straight to your Hard Drive:

Here You Go!

Right Click & "Save As"

;)

Short, but cool.

hi

Ahinalu I dont think I have much experience with sharks compared to the guys in South Africa. We dont get Great whites up here in the tropics but down in the Gold coast there surely is the threat of a GW. We mainly get all the annoying sharks that hand around in packs and take fish ie Grey reef shark but also all the big ones like the Tigers etc but they dont really take fish as often as the Grey Reef sharks cos we get out of the water quicker then that shark can think of dinner :D

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT