• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Movie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
For some reason Salma Hayek doesn't really do it for me as Audrey. I think it's the difference in facial structures. Both women are very beautiful, but Salma's face is more round, Audreys was more angular, Gallic perhaps. Which got me thinking of who (a big name) in Hollywood, might be a better choice and I'm realizing that Hollywood doesn't really have a lot of brunette female stars. The industry is dripping with blonde ones, but few willowy brunettes, which is how Audrey struck me. Sandra Bullock perhaps?

But Vin Diesel definitely as Pipin.

(Just thought I'd try to resurect this not so old thread!)
:)

Originally posted by Roan
For some reason Salma Hayek doesn't really do it for me as Audrey. I think it's the difference in facial structures. Both women are very beautiful, but Salma's face is more round, Audreys was more angular, Gallic perhaps. Which got me thinking of who (a big name) in Hollywood, might be a better choice and I'm realizing that Hollywood doesn't really have a lot of brunette female stars. The industry is dripping with blonde ones, but few willowy brunettes, which is how Audrey struck me. Sandra Bullock perhaps?

Eh? Courtney Cox? Jennifer Garner? Catherine Bell? Natalie Imbruglia? Carla Gugino? There are tons of brunette actresses in Hollywood that fit that description. If there isn't one right now, they can always find another pretty face. I just hope it ends up being a great movie.

Reactions: thud
Guess I better get up to speed on a later generation of Hollywood actresses! Courtney Cox was the only one I did'nt have to look up on the internet to see who they were.:confused:
I was thinking more along the lines of someone who could open a Cameron film, not on-the-cusp of stardom (maybe) T.V. actresses.
Courtney Cox? Too ol.. ERRR I mean "seasoned." Audrey was 28 when she died; Courtney was 28 when she was cast in Friends.
Jennifer Garner? She's got the right look and roles in some recent major movies, but were they starring ones? Still, Jennifer doesn't need an Alias (TV series) to be obscure to most Americans.
Catherine Bell? Trendy TV actress. If I can't stomach watching more than 2 minutes of JAG, why would someone want to bank the opening weekend of their Cameron film on her?
Carla Gugino? My question exactly. Who is Carla Gugino?
Natalie Imbruglia? I can't see her headlining a major Hollywood studio movie... Lillith Faire maybe.

:cool:

....Seems the general consensus is it will take quite a movie to satisfy our many (and varied) views of Freediving.

--To put the tragedy-aspect in perspective, freediving isn't the only sport with a risk of injury and death. Knowing what our sometimes jaded (popular) tastes require, it could go either way as far as being a good flick....or a farce.

Roan, I hope the scriptwriters manage to put Pippin's life into perspective when writing this. As you point out so eloquently, there are a wealth of themes to be explored. Didn't know you admired Classic Greek Drama. I like your summary.

I also like Adrian's opening shot sequence! ---Very nice!

Hadley, thanks for the link.
I hope the film is fair to all who lived the events. Without doubt Pippin has survived a huge loss, one that I cannot imagine.

As a child I saw 'A Night to Remember'---and had nightmares a long time after. Declined 'Titanic' for different reasons.

Hooch-- tell us about Carla Gugino!! Roan, I like the pic of Vin Diesel; unless Pippin is cast as himself. It could happen...

Eric, Jon, where to find the Norwegian film you mention, 'the Dive' ?

I hope Pippin gets some recognition for his successful dive to 170m. I pray his success brings him some shred of inner peace. I wish him well.

OceanSwimmer: Carla Gugino is another one of Hollywood's new pretty faces. She's had some minor roles (Spy Kids...real Oscar material), but she recently got a break in a new TV drama called Karen Sisco.

I haven't a clue where to find "The Dive", sorry. It is worth finding though...emotional and powerful.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Hey Oceanswimmer,

you can find copies of "The Dive" if you go search for the vhs on amazon. They don't have new copies but you can buy a used copy there. Or you can go check ebay. I know they have one but don't bid on it cause I just did!! :) and I might be getting a real sweet deal $0.01 and after I watch it I could send it to you or something like that if you want.

I only editted due to my incredibly bad spelling :duh

Reactions: thud
Which got me thinking of who (a big name) in Hollywood, might be a better choice and I'm realizing that Hollywood doesn't really have a lot of brunette female stars.

What about Penelope Cruz?

She gets my vote to play Audrey.

Jon

Last edited:
The dive

Thanks for the heads up guys. I just ordered a copy of "The Dive" off of Amazon for $3.25. There is another one there for $.84. I look forward to watching it!!

Thanks again!!

Reactions: donmoore
Originally posted by Jon
Which got me thinking of who (a big name) in Hollywood, might be a better choice and I'm realizing that Hollywood doesn't really have a lot of brunette female stars.

What about Penelope Cruz?

She gets my vote to play Audrey.

Jon
I had to do a double take for a second. I met Audrey in person last year and the resemblance with Penelope Cruz is eerie...

:) Penelope Cruz! Of course! She's got the right look and star cache.

Looks-wise satyamma called it: Natascha McElhone and Audrey almost look as if they were seperated at birth.
After all is said and done I'm sure Salma will be fine in the role; when I first posted my doubts about the resemblence (or lack of) I had just finished watching Frida... maybe the whole uni-brow thing was throwing me off!

OceanSwimmer: say it ain't so! Please tell me you have not heard or read anything about Pipin playing himself in this movie!:confused: Unless Cameron plans on just making this a semi-documentary, that would be a bad idea.

:cool:

p.s. Wish I could find OceanMen somewhere. I missed it when it was out.

Natascha McElhone could do it, she's also a very good actress. But she's probably not 'big' enough to sell the project as good as Salma Hayek can. That's the movie business. Salma Hayek as Audrey is not a bad choice in either case, though...

According to press releases, pre-production will only begin in the spring of 2005.
Could the revelations (if any) of the HBO Investigative program and the follow up by the hispanic broadcasters Univision and Telemundo, alter the script?
Will it be reality based?
Perhaps the actual and real story will be a much more coveted film.
Ricardo.

Reactions: thud and donmoore
THE FREEDIVER is not a B movie. Its actually an A movie although the budget was only 5 million dollars the actual production values are much much higher.

Its premiering in Cyprus at the World Championship in June and also at the LA film festival also in June.

Stunt Divers were Fred Buyle - who also appears in the movie
Kike Curovic - also appears
Hannah Stacey and Zoe Hall
Also Pierre Frolla helped organise the Monte Carlo Shoot

It looks like that there is a confussion in here.
I never said anything about the potential movie in question being a "B" movie, no idea where this came from
Quite the contrary, it MUST be an "A" movie (which, by the way, made by Cameron could not be any other way).
The point is, will it portray a " a white knight in shining tank" rescueing his damsel in distress (by the way a mortal one...) quite possible by his own fault wheter implicitly or expllicitly(enphasis in "possibly" for you lawyers wanna be out there...) OR..
Should it be a reality based film, as the legal case transcriptions, videos, and testimonies of Wicky, the falsely blamed 90 meters divers, and Serra who is quite honorably telling the truth, and as well as other indeniable witnesses, will show thar REALLY happened. Well that is wquite clear to any one who has EYES and waw the osriginal, uncut underwater video provided to the media by Serra...
That was what I meant.

Ricardo SAFER

The Dive... the tentative title for Cameron's film is not due for release till 2005... though insiders say that might be a long shot too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT