• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mt 4

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
PHOTO SIZES

What I learnt from posting a few photos here from my scanner is that I have to tune down the resolution to a maximum 100 dpi or the picture will come out DAMN big in the thread.

If I steal photo from a www, it comes out the same size as original.

I think once SA Spearo or Anderson have tuned down my photo size once. I am lousy with computers so I stay away from photoshop or a like.

IYA

as far as differences between the JBL and the Riffe...
1. The Riffe is so solid it makes the trusty JBL feel like a toy!
2. The thing is so quiet shooting that my buddies have no idea when I have shot.(everyone knows when you shoot a JBL due to the loud slide ring.)
3. The quality of this gun is exteremly high...and is overly apparent.:D

as for the shaft...that thick one is perfect for rig hunting. Distance here is not our primary concern as most shots are quite close...penetration is key. I will be getting a thinner shaft for more open areas and the occasional weedline. I didnt notice any recoil when I shot the gun and have not missed YET with it...6 shots=12 fish fillets!:king

Taken from one of my earlier post ...........

Our JBls were breaking apart then, XHD plastic muzzles were broken from its own rubber sling hitting home. Non XHD triggers were jamming up, all of the shaft slide ring hitting the shaft stop broke or jammed up. The Woody Magnum trigger pins were breaking the plastic pistol grip. Only my friends Riffe No Ka Oi was doing well, we can't even hear him shoot. He kept puching thru the GT gills without problem. That was when we decided we must buy the Riffe, it will not only improve the catch but it is cheaper to maintain in the long run and much more silent too, it was proven.

I just love my Riffe:p :p

IYA
Jay Riffe is a perfectionist ( boy, I said this twice already ) and he is also a world-class hunter, everthing he design and manufacture has always been over built. Why, because he knows that you and I will one day want to put as much power as possible in our guns because we want to pursue bigger fish or want to shoot a stealthy fish from far away, this is part of a spearo routine "growing up".

Last edited:
Yeah so nothing new. We always want mre powerfull, lighter,compact and reliable guns.

Murat,

So u decided that Riffe is ur next gun ?
Come on man, Rigdiver is a life testimony .........what more can you ask.

If is quite a surprise that in a forum this big, there are actualy not many Riffe owners ( I am assuming ) .........where are they ? Are they just casual non-participating readers.....or that they are already satisfied with their Riffes and they don't post question for review anymore ??:D :D Just kidding.

Looking at the Riffe Album at www.speargun.com, OK Ok some photo not that great...............it seems many are proud/satisfied owners and the best part is...........it is world wide. It is like you can see from a parrot fish to marlins and giant tuna and so on. If those happy owners are not enough to prove (generally ), I am wondering how more does a spearo need to be convinced.

It is only logical supply and demand like any other business, something selling at a premium can do so well............quality and owner satisfaction must be the key. Like a Lexus and a Benz.

Paying double for a speargun that is built triple quality/strength than most spearguns ( especially aluminum ones ) is sure a cheap long term investment.............something I learnt of late and after getting broke :head

Before I get flamed by others............bye bye.

IYA

I didnt know if the riffe would be worth the investment but now I can wholeheartedly say(about the MT 4 at least...) that it is. This gun will last a lifetime if cared for and I venture to say that it will cost me less in the long run than some of my other less expensive guns. However I am still interested in some other guns and will be adding to the collection sooner or later. I still have plans for a Wong mahi before winter tuna season arrives. You see if I power up the riffe i would need to add wings and the aluminum muzzle which would lessen its rig prowess. Guess you cant take your turkey gun deer hunting...rofl

I'm in the process of building a set of wings, ala the stabilizers that Riffe puts out, but rather than being made of wood, they are fiberglass-covered Klegecell, a foam not unlike that used for surfboards.

The aluminum muzzle will let you load the beejeezus out of the thing but the extra six ounces at the nose makes it a bit much to expect to swing around. I'm still trying to figure if it's worth it over the original configuration.

sven

Riffe Riffe ! ! !

Yes Iya as you and others know i am a great fan of the riffes too. But the problem is i live in mediterenian there is not much pelagic that worth Riffe.In order to see some big fishes in mediterenian you must have a boat and ability to dive at least 40-50 meter deep. Here is not like Florida or any other oceanic country.In there you just enter the water and smaller fish that you will find at the coast is at least 10 lbs.In here no wayy ! ! !. If you come here and dive with me you will see what i mean.But if one day i had an enough experiance to dive deeper and have a boat, the first thing that i will buy is a Riffe.Until that day i will continue with Euros. BTW i decide to sell my OMER MB 30/86 and buy OMER Alluminium 90 but the god damn dealers don`t export OMER Alluminium:vangry :vangry :rcard

Rig,

YEP, if finance allows speargun poligamy is good:D :D .
The more the merrier.

Before you spend on a Wong, I think in the mean time play with ur MT4 a bit. At 56" it is only 6-7 inch shorter than the Wong Mahi. At 3 x 5/8 bands ur getting 330 pounds of rubber pressure. The Wong Mahi at 4 x 5/16 bands put ur at 340 pounds but with longer stretch and thus better power ratio. However, you can power up the Wong more according to the spec.

Get urself a Riffe 7mm Hawaiian shaft with 3 wraps of shooting line for ur MT4. This could be a back up gun or fun-to-shoot alternative. Maybe shorten the shaft like Uncle Sven,he knows best. With 7mm (9/32" ) you will feel a world of difference is swinging compared to ur 3/8" shaft ( this I know well & tested on my #4 Baja ), muzzle being heavy also greatly reduced. Significant recoil reduction plus warp speed shaft.....impact wise not that great but the easy penetration of 7mm should compensate actual flesh-2-flesh penetration......a calculated guess :D :D.

All for less than US$80. I just get so much fun playing with the shaft diameter.

If you stoned and bag say a 100 lbs Tuna on this 7mm shaft, this is exactly the proud & satisfied feeling a Euro gun shooter get....:D :D.......SA, Griff and Abri where are you ??????? He he he he.

How come I have the guns and don't have the tuna ? :duh
Wha ha ha ha.

Enjoy Rig,

IYA

Originally posted by Iyadiver

Come on man, Rigdiver is a life testimony ...

or he is the only one on the forum who seems to be shooting any fish at the moment :hmm

i also have a question. why the aluminium muzzle? my uneducated guess is that the wood splits if there is too much rubber pressure (ouch!). am i right? if it is, is there not the option of fiberglass, or carbon fiber etc to give the tensile strength?

just a thought

mark

Iya , since I have never had the opportunity to use anything but Euro guns , I can't make any objective comparisons . I can only say that I prefer the simplest setup in a compact package that's light and manouverable and rely on breathhold , skill and fish knowledge , (not that treetrunk users dont have those abilities in abundance too ) . Fish I can't target with a 145 with twin 16's I am happy to see swim away .
Talk about pressure , weights , diameters ect. goes over my head :eek:
Talk about shooting fish and I'm there :D

these standards are way too high

Originally posted by Iyadiver

If you stoned and bag say a 100 lbs Tuna on this 7mm shaft, this is exactly the proud & satisfied feeling a Euro gun shooter get....:D :D

i'd be more than proud and satisfied if i landed any sized tuna with any gun using any size shaft
:)

Mark

My Fellow Euro Lovers,

I owned a few Euro guns, gifts from friends, so I have a reference to compare.

Anyway here I am emphasizing the quality of construction and material used. Honest, a Metal Tech is reasonable priced if u consider how they are built. You must see it to appreciate. I stayed away from all aluminum guns but when I see MT, me fall in love......Ok ok I know there is a hole near the but that is not a reason ....:D :D

The design is plain genius.

I wish I can "beam" one to you ( like Star Trek ) to hold it for 10 minutes and have a look-see.

"Scotty beam the Metal Tech to Abri and Griff "

Of course overall result will eventualy be how good the spearo is but we must appreciate the advantage of leverage from a well built and powerful gun.

Also this is one gun you can take to a bar fight to break windows (without the shaft)...he he he he.

Sad to say my MT #0 is still stuck till today, been a month already in exile. :waterwork :waterwork

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT