• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

MT3 or MT4

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My 20mm OMER bands are 65 kg and RA might be harder.
They is some band info somewhere on the net.It may be in custom internet spearguns site.

Don, I have 2 ways I load my gun...
1. Grip band w/ both hands with gun butt in your hip(like scuba guys) stretch band to the rest tab. Take one hand from the tab and move the gun butt to chest(dont take both hands off as it is a pain in the ass to get a good grip again)and load to the tabs.

2. with one hand on the butt and gun under your body grip a band with the other hand. In one motion I move the gun from parallel with me to butt on chest position while I hold the band. Once there use your other hand and finish the stretch.

I tend to use method one when I am tired as I can rest better between steps if I need to but #2 is faster when I am fresh as I dont stop at the rest tab.

Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by bluewater
Sven, do you think I need an MT4 for white sea bass? They are spooky but I should be able to get at least within 15' of them shouldn't I. I've only seen them while not hunting and fish can usually sense when you are so I wonder..
-Chad

I won't say that you necessarily need the extra length and capacity of a #4, but as in so many other things in life, having a little extra length is sometimes appreciated. :hmm Given that you're going to be going off the shore most of the time (?), I'd be fine with a #3 and the floatline thing. Pass on the aluminum muzzle and the enclosed track is up to you. The stock 9/16 bands are fine and plenty for developing some smoothness in your stalking and the eventual pulling of the trigger.

I'll cop to being just a wee bit hesitant when I've got the 3/4" bands on, as when it happens, it has a tendency to really happen. :blackeye That's why I'll ordinarily use all 5/8 or a couple 5/8 bands and a couple 9/16 or when I'm feeling really relaxed and want to go the smooth route, a full set of 9/16 bands. The trigger will just loft that bad thang out there at the moment I see what I want to haul in it seems... always a good thing.

And that you've seen the fish when you're not hunting is typically the way it goes. :head And then there are the times when they'll seem to know the model of your gun, how old the bands are and just stay beyond that distance. That's what builds character and respect, the patience to stalk or wait and leave 'em be for next time.

If I were you, I'd start looking for some people in need of companionship, with a boat and the time up at the Ranch and Coho... Beaut spots. :inlove Head down to Andy at the Harbor and pick his noggin. He's got a little booklet there and has time in. Tell him he doesn't hook you up, you'll let me know.

Being able to deal with a butt on your chest while you have a hand on your butt is going to make you fast friends w/Anderson, Rig... Mail the shekels for a single room at the kk03 digs to him quick to ensure your sound snoozing. :D

sven

Last edited:
Riffe V Rob allen Loading

Iya

I have loaded 2 different riffes 1 was the riffe Baja plus or 5# i think thats what they call it and one was the Riffe blue water the one with the breakaway rubber and that all ready on it. I have also loaded a collins blue water. The Riffe blue water was the only one that was a bit hard in terms of reach not pull. Compared with the pull of my 110 in was easier. The riffe Blue water is something like 172cm i think. Remember I have a Ra150 as well, this gun has a 150cm barrel but if you measure from front of muzzle to back of handle it is just over 170cm so same size roughly as riffe blue water. My 150 is easier to load then my 110 even if the rubber is hard to reach I have developed a special technique that is very dangerous for loading the 150 when using a single 20mm band.

Oh on the subject of these guns my uncle recently turned on our very Euro gun dominated family when he bought a collins blue water he is copping a ribbing about changing from euro to woddy.

cheers

Ivan,

If u can load a #5 Baja and a 172cm Blue Water consistently in the water say, 4 times target shot in a span of 10 minutes, without trouble.......you must teach some of us how do to it with ease. At 167cm my body height, Blue Water is surely out of the question for me. :D :D

Loading a 150 RA, I think I pass, those kind of butt can kill me. He he he. I did recall a guy who can load just about anything and he tells me, RA is a bitch to load......you must be right then.

What' ur body height by the way ? I know Murat is 180 cm something. Shorter guys seems to have "shorter" luck with long guns.

Murat,
I have seen the Kitto website on the rubbers spec but honestly I do not understand much about it, it is confusing for me. Can u explain to me what exactly it means , all of it ?

Iya , have you added an extra loading pad to the chest area of your suit ? It's a must for chest loading , takes some of the bite out of loading my 145 . Don't know how long the rubbers are but I am pretty much on the point of fouling my suit when I load ...:eek:
Guess that the number of bands used on woodies is one of the reasons I prefer a Euro gun .
Used to load my old Arbalete Champion barechested , still have the scars to prove it ...:duh

hi

Nice one abri I too have scars and bruises on my stomach and chest as well. does your 145 have a loading pad my 150 doesnt.

Iya im a very small guy as well, at 179cm, 63 to 65kg im very skinny and very small compared to my mates. Ive got to go now I will be back tommorow to share some info.

cheers

Murat,
I have seen the Kitto website on the rubbers spec but honestly I do not understand much about it, it is confusing for me. Can u explain to me what exactly it means , all of it ? [/B][/QUOTE]

I didn't understood it ver well.I hoped you will got it.
Just kidding mate :D....Let me explain if i can.

Power Potential: Potential power of the gun.How much power the band has.Higher numbers are indicate more powerfull bands

Recoil/Release:Recoil per release.It indicates the recoil ofthe band per shoot.Low numbers mean lower recoil with that band. If you nottice few top listed bands you can see how are they powerfull but has low recoil.On the other hand look at the RA bands. hehehehe :D. I am really wondering about that guys whose saying that RA bands are best.

Initial Modulous @ 250%:No sure but it may be band's initial thickness at %250 strech.
Modulous After 1 hr. @ 250%:Thickness of the loaded band after one hour period.

Sorry for the rest...:D :D

Abri,

I never have a spearo wetsuit with pad. All my suits are always Polartec type cause I get clausterphobia when I wear neoprene even at 2mm.

Somehow my skin is NOT those "rich man" skin that develop rash or bruises from loading a gun, some of my friends do develop some bruises but not me. The Riffe butt is also very comfortable and I load at my tummy where my belly muscle can assist a 4 cm projection.........aka...beer belly :D :D Wha ha ha ha.

However, if after fighting a fish, I sometime get tired loading all the 4 bands on my #4. U know how we bubble blowers are, heavy exertion at 100 feet is not something we enjoy too.
So far so good but I just can't imagine RA butt at that kind of rubber pressure........uuggghhhhh...painful Mom !!!

Murat,

I thought you are smarter than me in the Mori rubber test chart but.............u are not doing any better than me.....:D :D
This chart confuse me cause it does not have any unit of measure, I know what the Initial Modulus means but not the power potential.

That Initial Modulus (stretch ability ) and 1 hour after that tells u how much power is lost after the rubber get cocked for an hour. Rubber loose power when cocked too long. I am just trying to read the pound/lbs measure, maybe they are talking of some other measurement in Newton or something, sorry way out of my scope. I am just confused, why bother to prepare a chart without a legend which will guide readers to what numbers they represent.

However there is one point u must remember which is true but not many people realize. Rubbers maybe powerful, say 50 kg pull. We assume that when a shot is made, that 50kg thrust is available to push the shaft. What we must know is that how fast that 50 kg of trust is being given out, how snappy the rubbers are, how fast does it return back to its original non stretch shape. This will define the speed of push available to the shaft. The only way to tell accurately is to chronograph the speed of the shaft when fired or shoot into a ballistic putty to read the penetration.
I used to have a digital chronograph but not for underwater use, it was for my airguns or fire arms. Without a chrono, u can't tell improvement in the speed of the projectiles. Penetration will depend on the spearhead design too, so can not provide accurate data.

There was a case that I had heavier springs for my spring powered airgun. It was a brute to cock but the result was not good on the chrono. The science lies in how fast the spring re-coil back to its shape and generate that thrust. Without a chrono, all I could tell was the amount of recoil on the gun and falsely felt that it was more powerful, but actualy no power gain over the original softer spring.... :confused:

The new Air Arms custom spring by a British genius proved this, he made such a wonderful spring, soft to install and low recoil but the power it produced is amazing. Science my friend science.

Originally posted by Iyadiver

Murat,

I thought you are smarter than me in the Mori rubber test chart but.............u are not doing any better than me.....:D :D

Come on man ! ! !....

I had seen more complicated things than Mori's test.Problem may cause from Mori's silly test or its just my english.

A mouse pad makes a nice chest pad to put inside your suit.

My wife, who just took ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY in nursing school, says the gut is the safer place to load from. She gave me some medical reasons, that I don’t remember. Maybe one of you knowledgeable ones can expound on this.

BTW is there any link for Alexander,Heindrich,and Collins spearguns?

Other than the sternum not having a lot of padding, from meatball sandwiches or muscle, I'd have to say the abs won't suffer from the eventual hematomas and deep bruising as the chest.

For the life of me though, I can't see loading from the chest as if the butt of the gun should slip and head North, there goes your jaw :blackeye and as the chest is usually straight rather than being in an inward bend like the gut when loading, the butt is likely to take out the guys to the South...:crutch

sven

I've tried loading to the gut , but the angle feels all wrong and it HURTS :hmm
Pulling straight back to the chest feels easier to me . If it slips though ...
Tried the foot grab as well , ended up with a barb through my footpocket :duh
It missed my foot by that large amount of numbers behind the decimal point , still not sure how the butt missed my face ... perhaps thats why my face resembles ... anyway ; came to the conclusion that I had used up my quota of gun loading luck .

Last edited:
hi

I dont load my guns right up in the chest, I load them on the top two ab muscles or if you would the top two muscles of the six pack, my chest is far to weak to handle the pressure of loading.

cheers

Like Abri I have a tender stomach and prefer to chest load. Rather than placing it on the sternum I put it slightly offcentre onto the edge of one of my pecs. That way its cushioned a bit bit still held securely.

Still without a cushion of some sort you end up with scars. Funnily enough I find it easier to load my 130 RA than my 110... :confused:

And without a chestpad to provide friction you will end up smacking your armpit a few times. :eek:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT