• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

My dive this morning, Manta Point, Maldives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
the current was a little strong and so was the surge, but managed to get a couple of pictures...

Attachments

• diving 18.6.04 010.jpg
    diving 18.6.04 010.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 424
some more

the photos didn't come out as good as the last time i dived this site.. lots of plankton, water movement, and couldn'get a good position but here we go...

Attachments

• diving 18.6.04 008.jpg
    diving 18.6.04 008.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 410
and me

looking extremely happy after seeing mantas (photo with permission of dive buddy)

Attachments

• manta point 18-06-04 (12).jpg
    manta point 18-06-04 (12).jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 401
majestic majestic

mantas... accompanied by shark suckers

Attachments

• diving 18.6.04 004.jpg
    diving 18.6.04 004.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 400
WOW !!! Beautiful pics !!! I was down below Rooikrans Ledges spearing when a huge grey shadow loomed over me, my first reaction was to prepare for a meeting with a GW, but it turned out to be a giant ray. They have subsequently become some of my favourite creatures, so really enjoy your pics - thanks for posting !!

Jeff

Really nice pics Sara

It looks like you have something in your mouth :D

The second manta looks mean

Did you piss it off?

nooo.... in any case these mantas are the same mantas every year... their markings are recorded. (perhaps they know us) :)

they come really close, they are so curious.

are you jeering at my scuba dummy? :)

Hey Island Sands

Just a quick question : what camera/film are you using ?

(Mantas are probably one fish that Shane hasn't shot at ! [thank goodness] - I saw the monkfish photo earlier, looks like an extra from star wars)

Ed

EDIT : << ... looks like an extra from star wars >>

The monkfish - not Shane.

HAHAHAHA

No worries Ed.

I would have liked to have been in star wars even as jabba the hut

So you guys know, I only shoot fish for my families consumption.

I have a big family ;) but would never shoot an endangered species

The monkfish is one of the best eating fish in the sea. The reason I never order it in restaurants is that the fishing methids used for these species destroys the seabed and many other non-commercial fish.

At least I know that the one I caught was the only fish that died in the process.

Mantas!

Great Pics, Island Sands! I haven't seen a Manta up-close and personal since snorkeling in Fiji a few years ago: jumped in with some scuba divers and looked down--- a Manta was within 6-7 feet of the surface right under me. Startled for a second, I was so glad I had reviewed my 'flora and fauna' before going in and knew what it was.....they are so impressive. Graceful movements...majestic is just the right word, like you said...to describe how they swim...

Nice piccies :) the second one is spectacular but I do wonder what you and Shane chat about in Spannish ;)

I use a Sony P10 and don't understand sh1te about photography (that's why i use digital and a red filter.. and Adobe photoshop!)

jeff, thanks for the comments. what kind of ray did you see?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT