• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need some advice guys* spare air*

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Check this out , htis pony bottle here can keep the same amount of air as that sapre air tank i posted here.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COMPLETE-SCUBA-PONY-BOTTLE-RIG-BEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQitemZ130101414625QQihZ003QQcategoryZ16057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]eBay: NEW COMPLETE SCUBA PONY BOTTLE RIG BEST AVAILABLE (item 130101414625 end time Apr-25-07 16:02:34 PDT)[/ame]

You certainly don't want that last one you posted! That thing has a crappy bite valve on it and is WAY overpriced! I would also avoid the first one as it has extra parts that aren't needed- that little extra hose.

Mine is only 2 cuft. I have never had to use it and ONLY carry it with me for freediving. I have played around in a pool and got about 20 breaths off of it in 12' of water.

As far as pony bottles go, anything less than 30 cuft. and your just kidding yourself. 40cuft. shoud be the gold standard and they will work as a stage bottle if/when you get into technical diving. I would never strap one onto my main tank as they get in the way and it limits their use. If you sling one, under your left arm, it floats nicely and you don't know its there. If you need it you have it and you can even ditch all of your other gear, in case of an entangelment, and escape. If your buddy has a problem you can take it off and hand it to them while you help them ot of what ever jam they are in. The reason you need 30-40cuft. is so you can pull your safety/deco stops on your way up.

Having said all of this, if there is ever a time where I think I mightneed a pony I go straight to doubles with an isolation manifold.

A "stick" is a blending stick made out of PVC and has baffles in it. It allows you to safely add 02 into the air intake of your compressor so that you never have more than 40% 02 going into your air compressor at any time- you need to stand next to it and watch your 02 meter while filling to insure that it doesn't go above this. Most compressors can't handle more than 40% 02, unless it's somthing special like a RIX, and some compressors can't even handle that- it depnds on how clean it is and what kind of filters it's running. We've been pumping mixes up to 40% fthis way for a long time without any problems. On dive trips to the islands I see dive operators mixing this way on a large scale without any problems.

Partial Pressure mixing is where you mix your gas in the tank itself. I use this method for deco mixes (50%) and trimix- varies depending upon the depth. The man problem with this method is that you must 02 clean the tanks and valves and should use hyperfilter air, although I've read that 85% of the compressors out there can be used without any problems in this area. To get the most out of a tank, as Riverdiver mentioned, you need to have at least 3 bottles of any one gas to rotate through to get the most gas for your money.

The only people I know who have ever had an 02 fire where using this method- partial pressure blending. It turns ot that they had a 90 degree bend in their piping system and that created enough of a heat build up that they had a flash- everyone survived and they have since rebuilt their system. This event also happend 15 years ago, before there were any course to teach you how to do this stuff, and they have since gotten a lot better at it. ;)

The rule of thumb when PP blending is to go slow. The slower the better to prevent heat bulid up and fires- as well as to get a more accurate mix when your done.

Jon

I found some photos to illustrate what I' talking aobut. A good source of info, and to see how I rig my gear when scuba diving, go here: gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

As far as the photos go here they are:

1- proper pony/stage bottle set-up

2- valve/gauge view on the stage

3- how it floats along side of you when swimming

4- a shot of a friend of mine swimming with his bottle (40cuft.)

5- a shot of my carring along a couple of 80's the same way- since these tanks are all made out of aluminum they float quite nicely along side of you.

Another reason to sling your pony/bailout bottle, instead of strapping it to your main tank, is that in case of a freeflow/freeze-up on your bailout regulator you can just open and close your tank valve when you need to breath so you don't waste and precious gas. All tech diving students practice this skill as part of their classes and it's really quite simple to do when your tank/valve/gauge/regulator are all sitting there right in front of you.

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...real good information. I'm beginning to rethink my 6cf EAS and may opt for a bigger bottle. However I still think the redundant air supply is a big safety factor.

Safe diving all.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT