• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jon305

Jan 21, 2020
Hi everyone, im trying to find some good fins for spearfishing, im 6ft 220lb and hold a 12lb belt with a 3.5m suit. I was initially interested in the innegra diveR's do to them being super robust but i have heard their medium blades are too soft and can give a hard time when diving deep, my question is should i still go for the diveR or go for something like moana or the c90 fins? Im currently using mares razor pro plastic fins, thanks

Last edited:
Stay on the soft side. With your weight, I would get medium stifness blades. Also, get the footpockets that fit well to your feet. Wearing uncomfortable footpockes all day long is a nightmare.

Reactions: flaco and Jon305
Stay on the soft side. With your weight, I would get medium stifness blades. Also, get the footpockets that fit well to your feet. Wearing uncomfortable footpockes all day long is a nightmare.
Hi thanks, the foot pockets i use are pretty comfy i feel, im thinking id just swap the blades, and ive heard yeah to stay soft as possible, im thinking mediums would probably do fine i was just afraid the medium dive Rs would be too soft, i dive in heavier currents sometimes. Ill be doing research on some more blades like the ones mentioned above, thanks for the info

Hi everyone, im trying to find some good fins for spearfishing, im 6ft 220lb and hold a 12lb belt with a 3.5m suit. I was initially interested in the innegra diveR's do to them being super robust but i have heard their medium blades are too soft and can give a hard time when diving deep, my question is should i still go for the diveR or go for something like moana or the c90 fins? Im currently using mares razor pro plastic fins, thanks
Finding fins that's right for you can be quite difficult. Just know that the stiffness (soft, medium, stiff) is different from brand to brand. I've had it where one company's soft was still stiffer than anothers stiff. The frustrating part is some companies will also NOT accept refunds even if you don't use them in the water. Furthermore, how do you know what's right for you if you can't test it out?

On the other end, some companies will allow you to test them out, but those are rare I think, unless they have a test pair for people to use.

While I haven't tried the Innegras, I've read they are quite soft as blades. I too fight current and there's no way I could use soft blades practically.

Regarding Moanas, I've use them for years, but the new ones AREN'T made how they were. Meaning, they're much softer now ways. New owner and new direction in blade stiffness. That said, they are still very quality fins and one of the few companies that had great customer service when I was on the hunt for fins.

Bottom line is, if you know generally what stiffness you're looking for by feel (comparing your Mares), you can get pretty close to getting what you want. The only issue is getting the blades in your hand to feel.

For your size, I'm thinking you'd want to stick with something with a stiffer profile. Examples are like the Cetma Edge in stiff or Meadros in medium or stiff.

The best is to find a local shop to feel the blades. Unfortunately for me, I spent a lot of $ and time ordering and returning fins to find what I like now.

Fins are expensive. Don't settle.

Reactions: Jon305
Finding fins that's right for you can be quite difficult. Just know that the stiffness (soft, medium, stiff) is different from brand to brand. I've had it where one company's soft was still stiffer than anothers stiff. The frustrating part is some companies will also NOT accept refunds even if you don't use them in the water. Furthermore, how do you know what's right for you if you can't test it out?

On the other end, some companies will allow you to test them out, but those are rare I think, unless they have a test pair for people to use.

While I haven't tried the Innegras, I've read they are quite soft as blades. I too fight current and there's no way I could use soft blades practically.

Regarding Moanas, I've use them for years, but the new ones AREN'T made how they were. Meaning, they're much softer now ways. New owner and new direction in blade stiffness. That said, they are still very quality fins and one of the few companies that had great customer service when I was on the hunt for fins.

Bottom line is, if you know generally what stiffness you're looking for by feel (comparing your Mares), you can get pretty close to getting what you want. The only issue is getting the blades in your hand to feel.

For your size, I'm thinking you'd want to stick with something with a stiffer profile. Examples are like the Cetma Edge in stiff or Meadros in medium or stiff.

The best is to find a local shop to feel the blades. Unfortunately for me, I spent a lot of $ and time ordering and returning fins to find what I like now.

Fins are expensive. Don't settle.
Thanks for the info i really appreciate it, i agree i wish i could have them at hand to feel them, unfortunately around here (north jersey) theres no good dive shops, i travel to miami often so maybe on my next trip ill be able to get more hands on, unless i go the other way and see if a place would let me feel them and return if not what i want, ill take a look at those brands u mentioned as well, i definitely dont want anything too soft due to the currents i deal with sometimes, thanks again for the reply

Also, do you guys think regardless if how stiff or soft the innegras or other brands mentioned are, will they still be an upgrade over my plastic fins?

Also, do you guys think regardless if how stiff or soft the innegras or other brands mentioned are, will they still be an upgrade over my plastic fins?
Not necessarily. I mean, let’s just say the new fins are super soft. It helping you less in current than the plastic fins would not be an upgrade. I’d say composite or carbon fins are more efficient in comparison to plastic. They’re better at transferring energy into forward propulsion. That’s said, you still need the stiffness to be appropriate and effective for you.

Another type are fiberglass blades. They’re a bit more robust, but heavier than carbons. Cheaper also. I think Spearmaster is one brand. I bring it up because they’re on the stiffer side compared to carbons. It would be good to feel these too. I have a couple buddies that prefer them.

Not necessarily. I mean, let’s just say the new fins are super soft. It helping you less in current than the plastic fins would not be an upgrade. I’d say composite or carbon fins are more efficient in comparison to plastic. They’re better at transferring energy into forward propulsion. That’s said, you still need the stiffness to be appropriate and effective for you.
I see, thanks for the input, im gonna try to contact some people, see if maybe i can get some hands on and do some research on some other fins too

Well, I have to disagree with Musubi. Comparing carbon blades with plastic is like night and day. You really notice the difference when you have been using carbons and for whatever reason you wear some plastics; it's like riding a bike without chain! You feel that you don't move! Do you think people would pay up to 10x the cost of plastics if there was no difference?
And again, stay in the soft side. The softest that moves you in the water. Europeans are 20 years ahead us in spearfishing and that's what they do. You are a "medium" stiffness kind of guy.
If you come to Miami, check the Carbontek brand at Spearfishing World in Hialeah. It is an excellent Spanish manufacturer of carbon fins. Don't rush buying them. It's worth looking for options.
If you want durability, just don't jump feet first in the water from a boat and don't push yourself from the bottom with your fins. Those are the most common mistakes that break composite blades.

Last edited:
Well, I have to disagree with Musubi. Comparing carbon blades with plastic is like night and day. You really notice the difference when you have been using carbons and for whatever reason you wear some plastics; it's like riding a bike without chain! You feel that you don't move! Do you think people would pay up to 10x the cost of plastics if there was no difference?
And again, stay in the soft side. The softest that moves you in the water. Europeans are 20 years ahead us in spearfishing and that's what they do. You are a "medium" stiffness kind of guy.
If you come to Miami, check the Carbontek brand at Spearfishing World in Hialeah. It is an excellent Spanish manufacturer of carbon fins. Don't rush buying them. It's worth looking for options.
If you want durability, just don't jump feet first in the water from a boat and don't push yourself from the bottom with your fins. Those are the most common mistakes that break composite blades.
Ill be down in miami pretty soon ill definitely be swinging by, the only dive shop ive been to in miami is the one up the street from latin america, i think its nautilus if i recall correctly on 57th ave, thanks for the input mediums are what im aiming for provided theyre a true medium if that makes sense? Thanks also for the boat tip, i had heard of the pushing off the bottom but didnt know feet first would damage them, although i feel like i flop side ways off boats anyways like i have issues lol

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT