• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Forum - Who is from Wisconsin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

For future Wisconsin Freediving/Spearo activities, would you:

• I'm a loner, I don't want to participate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dang, thanks for all the advice! I really, really want to attend the palooza, unfortunately I will be gone for a month for training for the Air Force, only thing is they don't let me know when it is til April at the earliest.

I found this- he's offering it for free right now.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/beginn...ere-have-my-free-ebook-about-free-diving.html

Took a quick read through it, and seems to have some great advice. I might start working on this stuff on my own while I'm at college, as I want to start working on my breath holding, and water confidence.

Would you recommend me workin with this book for now? The deepest I could go is 18' as that is as deep as our pool here goes, my thought is just to work on the dry land stuff, and start to go into the water after awhile, pretty much as the book recommends.

Last edited:
I would think the book is a help for beginners. Just some tips: don't practice in the water-ALONE. You should try to make sure someone is at least keeping an eye on you in the event you blackout or have issues. The TABLES are a great way to build up you CO2 tolerance.

My assumption of why you have pain at 18ft is because you may not be Equalizing properly. There are different techniques to Equalizing. Some that are blessed, can do it 'Hands Free' and others -like me- have to pinch our nose and go through the act of blowing your nose softly. Of course you aren't actually letting air out your nose- this, if done properly is just equalizing your ears. Which is why you are having pain. You may have to do this every 5-10 feet, you should feel the pressure build up. When you feel the pressure, that's when you want to equalize.

Feel free to practice and read this book. Just be safe and the more you know- the better. Remember that the CLASS will teach you Everything you need to know in 2 days. Teachings that will last a life time.

Thanks whopper head- oh and in case you haven't figured out I'm jake del Ponte on Facebook haha.

As far as the course goes, i want to go, but unfortunately I don't get to decide when the air force ships me off to training, they just tell me haha.

As I reevaluate my budget.... I think spearfishing is going to be a goal for next year. I simply can't see getting it in my budget over the next few months. I'm going to start savin now, but I just don't have the funds atm and wont for awhile.

Last edited:
Also, I'm thinkin about making my own reel for my speargun, so well see how that goes.

Don't even bother with a Reel. You won't need it. The biggest fish we shoot is a Carp and you should be able to hold onto it. Nothing in the waters of Wisconsin is big enough to take you down under the water. Plus you can do what a lot of us do, clip our float line onto our gun. Then if you did shoot a big Carp - you could just let it drag you and your float around. It usually doesn't have the strength to pull for long.

I wouldnt put it off for a year just because you cant afford the "right" equipment, I mean you can get a mask and snorkel and fins for fifty bucks at leisurepro.com and make a pole spear or buy one for thirty at makospearguns.com and just hit the water when its nice. Oh dont forget a fishing license but being airforce I think you get a discount. Also you can hit up craigslist for used scuba stuff really cheap, scuba is something a lot of people fully outfit themselves for a one time trip to the tropics and then never use for five years and decide to get out of the basement. Thats how I started with scuba and then I went to carp-a-palooza last year and had a blast just basically snorkeling with my scuba suit and fins and now Im slowly acquiring more gear specifically for freediving as I am taking the class in July.

Hi im fairly new to this whole thing. i was acctually brought into this mess by a friend (kraftyjack) summer 2011 and ive been loving it ever since. i have the gear i need etc.
i dont have any formalized training but i can hold my breath pretty well (3+ min) and i dove to 100' once at lake wazee (that was stupid :/ ) so im definatly looking forward to any opportunities on training.

Im a FF/EMT intern with Mount horeb and im from Monticello. i plan on stayng in the dane/green county area.

Reactions: Whopperhead
Hi im fairly new to this whole thing. i was acctually brought into this mess by a friend (kraftyjack) summer 2011 and ive been loving it ever since. i have the gear i need etc.
i dont have any formalized training but i can hold my breath pretty well (3+ min) and i dove to 100' once at lake wazee (that was stupid :/ ) so im definatly looking forward to any opportunities on training.

Im a FF/EMT intern with Mount horeb and im from Monticello. i plan on stayng in the dane/green county area.

DUDE! First off I love the name! :friday

2nd - I'm also a FF/First Responder

3rd - Diving to 100' with no formal training was stupid!!!!

4th - we are having a Level 1 Class coming to Wazee on July 28/29 - it's only $295!!! It's ok if you claim you already have a breath hold of 3 mins- they will teach you the proper way and maybe you can get to 5mins. They will also teach you proper diving technique and more importantly SAFETY!!!! I have the information on the class under the THREAD for FREEDIVE-A-PALOOZA 2012 - there is a link. You should most def sign up- especially if you see yourself doing this for years to come. Here's the link if you can't find it: F.I.I. Freediving Instructors International - from the beginner to the instructor
I also want to add that you get a LEVEL 1 FREEDIVING CARD - which if you ever take a charter, they may require you have some sort of training - this is proof of that training.

Tell them Scott Otey sent you.

Welcome to Deeperblue and enjoy the site - it is loaded with useful information! :friday

Last edited:
Hi everyone, Im new to the sport. I live in the south central part of the state. Im looking forward to meeting new freinds and learning everything I can. Ive snorkled and swam all my life and now I want to take it further and deeper.

MKeen - Think, I've talked to you on other sites also. You've found the right spot for Wisconsin Spearing and diving. We have a class coming up in July - it would be a great kick start to your introduction into the sport.

Welcome to Deeperblue! :friday

Yes, I will be there. If you have any questions or are looking to buy gear. Post... We can help.

just so all know that on April 9th there will be the spring meetings with the DNR and one issue is No. 76 a vote to stop the spearing of panfish by divers I have organized a large group going to the meeting at Bristol elementary here for the kenosha area but we need everyone to go to there counties meeting and explain why they should still allow us to spear panfish go on the DNRs website and find your counties meeting address and vote NOand stand up and tell them what it does for us and the waters. PLEASE GO

Reactions: Chris W
I will be getting some info and stats on what little affect Spearfishing of Panfish there really is. I will share this info and findings done by Marine Biologists with people that are going to these meetings. You can share the numbers with them and they can see that Spearfishing for Panfish has no affect on the fish population. I'm not sure if it's Effect or Affect? but you know what I mean.

We should also find out who is at the head of the movements both for and against spearfishing panfish. Then send letters to them directly and hopefully we will both show initial resistance to the proposal and hopefully gleen information about the topic itself. If we want to counter any arguement against it we need to understand EXACTLY why they want to get rid of spearfishing and then base the bulk of the research off of that.

This how the topic is worded in the Questionnaire on the DNR website

"QUESTION 76. Prohibit the Spearing of Panfish by Divers (# 500211)

Presently, skin and scuba divers can spear panfish in the State of Wisconsin waters. Panfish daily bag limits have been reduced on 40 individual water bodies statewide and in St. Croix County over the past several years to protect panfish species. There are some who feel that it is relatively easy to spear panfish while diving and their ability to remove the largest of each panfish species has had a negative effect on panfish populations and size structure.

WARM WATER STUDY COMMITTEE ADVISORY QUESTIONS
76. Do you support modifying the fishing regulations to include “panfish” as a fish that cannot be taken by spearing in all Wisconsin waters?
76. YES _____ NO _X_ "

Chris,

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to freediving and still have yet to try it, but i am really excited about learning how. I am wondering if anyone knows any details on the Fii training for beginners in the wisconsin area? I don't see any info for 2013.

It's very cool that there is a forum for the Wisconsin/midwest area. I am looking forward to participating in these forums.

Thanks,

Seth

Hey Seth- As in regards to our emails. I plan on having a Level 1 at the Palooza the last week/end in July.

So is the freedivapalooza always the last weekend in July? im assumeing that there will proabably be another post for tha palloza for 2013 BUT im just trying to plan ahead because this is gonna be a crazy summer for me.

So is the freedivapalooza always the last weekend in July? im assumeing that there will proabably be another post for tha palloza for 2013 BUT im just trying to plan ahead because this is gonna be a crazy summer for me.
yes. I will be posting details shortly.

Greetings Everyone,

I'm new to this website and am basically trying to find out a few things about spearing in the WI area. First, let me introduce myself...

My name is Nate, I'm 26 and have spent the last 2 years living in Saipan CNMI. If you don't know where that is, it's in the middle of the Pacific Ocean near Guam. I had some friends out here introduce me to spearfishing about 3 days after I got here and have been in the water as much as possible since then. Recently I got PADI certified and have been enjoying SCUBA as well, though I only spear while freediving and never intend to spear on SCUBA. The water here is immaculate. On a good day I have about 150+ ft of visibility, but on average probably about 100 ft. I usually fish at about 45-75 ft though I have done some deeper and some shallower. Most of the fish I go for here are different species of reef fish, (parrot fish, goat fish, unicorn fish, grouper, trevally, snapper etc.) though occasionally I get the chance to go out on a boat and go for larger pelagic species (Mahi, Tuna, Mackerel, Wahoo etc.)

I currently have two main guns. A Cressi Geronimo Pro 95 cm set up with a reel for reef fishing and a Rob Allen 130 cm, also set up with a reel, but heavier duty for blue water fishing.

My reason for posting here. My wife and I are having a baby in August and she has decided that she would like to live closer to family. This means moving to Wisconsin. We'll be living in the Kenosha area, and before I found this page I had thought that I'd be selling all of my dive gear and guns before moving back. Now I have hopes to continue diving and spearing in WI.

What I'm looking for specifically.

1. DIVE BUDDIES!
I'm not sure how many people in WI are into spearing, but I'm hoping to find some good dive buddies on here to teach me the local ins and outs of spearing in cold fresh water.

2. Advice on gear.
At this point I think that I'll keep my Cressi and probably sell the Rob Allen (maybe use the $ for a nice thick wetsuit!) Is there any reason I'd need a gun that big for fishing in WI? Please let me know. Also, I've become a huge pansy down here in the tropics. I typically dive with a 3mm wetsuit in our 79 degree water and come out cold after 3 hours... How do you guys deal with the cold lake water?

3. General Advice and Local Knowledge
I'm unsure of the regulations in WI, though I've heard that we can't spear gamefish :( I'm more than happy to spear carp, as I've heard those are quite a problem up there, but are there any tasty fish we're allowed to take? Also, will I need a floatline and a dive buoy? I'm assuming the waters may be a bit more crowded up there and I'd like to avoid any accidents with boats.

I'm sure there are many more questions I should be asking, but this is long already. Thanks in advance for everything. I look forward to hearing from you soon and likely meeting some of you later this summer. Thanks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT