Sunday, August 18, 2019
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New LG

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
This new "Black Head" muzzle and nose cone is what I had been expecting on the original LG-SUB gun as hydraulic lock makes it near impossible to push sealed sliders into the muzzle unless you simultaneously move the piston back a little or tip some water out first or the vacuum cuff has a one-way valve action to let water out, but not in. All the rubber conical nozzle seal guns have this valve feature, which is the system used by the majority of pneumovacuum guns. LG-SUB needed an underwater loading capability, especially on their longer guns and now they have it for all of them with the new longitudinally ported muzzle using a ring of forward facing outlet ports just rearward of the muzzle nose.

Last edited:

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
The new muzzle (testata) will be featured with other new LG-Sub product releases here:

European Dive Show Bologna
Date: March 1st to 3rd, 2019

The Italian Dive Show takes place every year in Bologna and is already in its 26th edition. This event primarily targets scuba diving, sport fishing and freediving fans. This show, less known to the international general public, is still one of the major European events. For this new edition, which will take place from March 1 to 3, 2019, the organizers expect around 250 exhibitors and 11,000 visitors.
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52893254_1231615100336829_7491027837353197568_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=4c3518365287b8e6f0a3d061f9c01582&oe=5D242962

Last edited:

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Also being announced at the show are these new integral tip spears with black plastic flow cones forwards of the flopper.

Personally I would like to see removable points with built in flow cones that screw on just forwards of the flopper for quick replacement when the shaft hits a rock after passing through a fish that is backed up and stays with cover.

Here is one from Pelengas, it looks like the extreme point itself is replaceable.

Last edited:

Diving Gecko

shooter & shooter
Jun 24, 2008
Shanghai
Yeah, the need to tip the gun out of the water before inserting the spear is kind of a deal breaker for me - and I didn't even know that the LG was like that until you posted that video. I hope many spearos wont mind, but if it was me, I might forget from time to time and that might lead to troubles down the line. Good to see they thought of a fix. I hope they wont price it to high as honestly, I feel a gun of that price should have had one from the very beginning.

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Yeah, the need to tip the gun out of the water before inserting the spear is kind of a deal breaker for me - and I didn't even know that the LG was like that until you posted that video. I hope many spearos wont mind, but if it was me, I might forget from time to time and that might lead to troubles down the line. Good to see they thought of a fix. I hope they wont price it to high as honestly, I feel a gun of that price should have had one from the very beginning.
I don't know if there is a connection, but a month or so prior I had written to them about replacing the rear inlet valve cap, which was missing, and queried if the water had to be tipped out of the muzzle before reloading and speculated here on small bores running rearwards in behind the muzzle seal with a rubber annular ring valve to eliminate any hydraulic lock, a system we had been speaking about some years back when the "Tomba" was being developed. Here the small water escape bores would have to run rearwards rather than radially because the LG muzzle is very short. Now it appears that they have actually made it! However I don’t see the rubber ring valve in the new “black head”, but something must do that job to prevent water sucking in as the spear loads into the inner barrel.

Just checking back this is what I said to LG in mid-January (actually 9/01/2019).
I watched the video, the muzzle loading is as expected and very familiar to me. Did I notice the rifle was reversed to run out of water, to avoid hydraulic lock? For this rifle it is held above the surface. Otherwise the line slide cannot seal in the head, is that the situation?

Last edited:
Reactions: Diving Gecko

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Here is a video showing how the LG-Sub handles are milled out of Delrin. Much slower than injection molding, however changes can be made by altering the cutting program and sections can be thicker as there are no cooling time restrictions or mold filling considerations.

LG-Sub handle milling.jpg

Now you can see why the guns are expensive!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar