• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Mini Mid-handle + Fabrication

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
Hello All,

Here I sit. It is a beautiful day in Wisconsin, sunny and 25 C, and I'm sick as a dog :(. [Like a royal idiot] while feeling my illness overtake my body, I neglected the warning signs and went diving with Jon yesterday. Mistake! Equalizing was a joke. I barely got down 20 feet. So today, I've been keeping this chair warm and putting togething a little something for you all, while nursing my convalescence.

My new gun arrived last Wednesday. It is very similar to the first model http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=34933 (same length and handle placement), but is now perfected (IMHO :eek: ).

1. The shaft groove diameter was reduced (since I only use a 9/32" or 5/16" Hawaiian. The original shaft groove was designed for a shaft of 3/8" or larger diameter. When a small hawaiian shaft was used, the shooting line would pull it to the left of that groove. Now the shaft stays centered when the shooting line is wrapped over the top.

2. The band slot was reduced to hold 3, 9/16 bands (originally 5,9/16" bands). The most I ever used was three, and the smaller slot keeps things much neater; not to mention gives an extra 1/2" of band-pull.

3. The muzzle reinforcement was changed from using a washer to a custom-cut piece of plexiglass. I don't know if this is stonger than the original design, but it does help to keep the milfoil from sticking in the muzzle. It also looks cleaner.

4. Pertinent trigger assembly (Riffe Mid-handle) parts were coated with teflon, effectively stopping any/all rattling noises. You can now grab the stock and shake it, and it won't make a sound.

5. The original wood backplate was changed to a piece of black plexiglass. This makes the back of the gun less bulky, and looks to be more durable.

6. The stain and epoxy coating were changed for asthetic reasons (I prefer the lighter stain and not-so-glossy finish).

7. The wooden butt of the gun was streamlined, and the curve was adjusted to better fit my chest.

8. The ballast of the gun was greatly improved (weight brought to the rear), and was designed specifically for fresh-water use.

This past weekend I tried the new gun and was blown away by these improvements. It is the perfect gun for my hunting style and water conditions. I put dinner on the table every night.

The designer/fabricator of the gun also included a series of photos with dictation that I have made available for you all here:

www.geocities.com/unirdna/Speargun_Fabrication.html

Since I know less than most of you when it comes to making and tweaking your own gun, I won't be much good if you have any questions. I simply made this site to be a source of information and discussion.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ted

Last edited:
Reactions: Amphibious
Sweet Tool, open invite to come out and test it on some Ling Cod. Looks like the perfect size....

Willer

Purty neeeice there, fresh water boy!

Certainly being if fresh water doesn't help the bouyancy issues. The guy that made it for you must have really taken his time as mounting a Riffe handle has always been a monumental pain in the ass for me and the plexiglass pushrod cover is kinda nice as well. The Wood butt plate seems like it would get kinda old on the chest pad, but then you're one of those burly types... Nice job.

Thanks guys. Just wanted to share how this was done (especially with any newbies) as I was fascinated by the whole process.

This little bugger is super easy to swing. And with a 9/32 hawaiian and three bands, I never need to use two hands to fire it. It's basically an underwater pistol. The butt doesn't bang up my sternum because it's designed to be place under the right pectoral (my preferred area). The large, flat surface keeps things gentle and sturdy, and is easy on the suit.

Ted

Last edited:
Ted, who took that picture? :yack

I guess we need to take some shots of your new gun in action. All of the shots that I have of you are with your old JBL. THis was the only one I could find that shows what your gun looks like.

Jon

Last edited:
Jill took it. Next time she needs to make sure that the sun is behind her, not in her face.

I think you may have posted that photo in an older thread.

Here's a better shot of the crappies I got from that same day. I was telling you about how I'm no longer going to load less bands, even if the fish are smaller. Because as you can see from the mangled back on the one crappie, a slow (one stretched band) moving shaft does way more damage than the pin-hole created by a shaft with three stretched bands.

Last edited:
brauts

Sven,

That's spelled brat, not braut.;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT