• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Products Ahead.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
or sompin like dat.

42# is a big fish for Hawaii. period. Thing with the hoo's is their never being at a right angle to you. About every one that I've got was from above and behind, always a smooth place to be in my book. :p

sven

Thanks w3ac.
I don't know when I will ever see a wahoo in the water, never ever seen one. Wahoo is not common in my water, they only come when the water is super clear, that's what my charter captain told me. In the mean time Spanish Mackerel is the closest similiarity I can get to a Wahoo but as per all the videos I seen looks like wahoo has a higher initial burst speed.

With that kind of speed and soft flesh, I will need a reel or else torn flesh ( unless stoned ). I guess u shud know that I am on scuba and don't use a float. My hunting video collection seems to potray all friendly wahoos...they don't mind getting close to spearos ( of course those are good and stealth spearos ). Shooting a fish accurately is not a problem for me and my gun, I take decent size ( 1-2kg ) Rainbow Runner when they are around. My main fear is my excitement. Everytime I shoot a "wanted list" fish, I get nervous and that cause me to shoot too far (especially blue water ) or too soon. If I ever see a wahoo, I am sure my heart rate will be so pumped up...........:head

20-30# wahoo is what the trolling boys been getting in my area. I don't expect any bigger. Even the national fishing record is only like 40# or something. I'll be happy to get a 20#.....:p

upgrade on C3X

any suggestions on upgrading my c3x? I want to "beef it up"

The Lump is loaded with fish. the water is nice and blue. Get off your butts and get down to Venice, La for some really large fish.

Laters,
Chaumont

not sure who lied to you about the blue but it is a clean green for a change...it is loaded though but last week it was day to day. One day they would hand pick the tuna from the back of the boat the next they were few and far between...like on my last trip, thank god for the hoo's.

Who are you going diving with? Charter or own boat?

Hope it looks as good following this front...let me know if you need another diver.

Last edited:
sure, just 86 the C3 and

get a MT 4 with the wings and a reel.

Oh alright, here's the skinny on the upgrades: order a muzzle reinforcement kit, it's only a bolt and nut with a couple washers, a set of 5/8" bands of your choosing lengthwise and a 3/8 shaft, one size longer. Get a no BS tip, like an Icepick or a Kitto and a floatline/bungie/float setup. You're looking at about a $300 dollar outlay.

Add another bone and a half and get a MT4.

sven

then once you get the MT...upgrade to an aluminum muzzle and a 4th 5/8 band:cool: the fun is never done...

lets just go!

MT no thanks!!!!

Already packing the 4 bander( JBL Gulf Mag w/slip tips, running line and tractor tire tube for a float. Dont need more power just want to spruce up a gun the old lady picked up while flea market shopping in New Orleans. As far as the blue water, I was south of Moxie diving a wreck and the rip was just North of us. Of course I know people in Mississippi have trouble with colors. I spend most of the winter diving from my Shamrock which I keep in Venice. Sven has already voiced concern over rig diving and the whole dike thing last summer so he is not invited, hehe.

Shoot straight

Huh? I'm down in the Gulf at least twice a year, if not for a dive job then to just shoot protein about the the legs. Maybe your refering to my distrust of riding rigs- the looped handle at the end of the shooting line that drags you into the murk with a sharp pair of dykes ? Look back at the threads... :head

sven

I was at the Moxie last Friday hunting. The water looked blue from the surface but had quite a bit of particle matter in it. It was actually cleaner at the 93, which happens to be where we took a 42 and 83# hoo and saw 90% of our fish that day. There was a rip running right through the middle of the 93 later that day.

The anglers were ranting and raving about "cobalt blue" water on the lump so we headed that way...dont get me wrong, it was NICE but definately not cobalt. Easier to tell once you jump in. Just a slight bit of the river water around.

So Cjn, how was your recent trip? Been doing any freediving for hoos and tuna? Sounds like you hurt Svens feelings..:waterwork
Anyway, good luck and safe hunting.

moxie

Yep, I was last in that area on the weekend of the 17th of Jan. Like you said, water was pretty down to about 20 ft or so with lots of particles(little to no current). Mostly AJ's on that trip with one at 58lbs. yum yum. Got 2 hoos and a king (yuck) trailing flashers from floatline. I dont really care for fooling with attractors ie flashers and spoons, they seem to always distract me from my surface hunting. I guess I have a fish iq. We mainly target AJ and snapper(when in season) and the wonderful Cobia. Getting geared up for a trip to Bonair for Mardi Gras.

watch your floats! Big mako afoot. Some guys brought a huge shortfin to the dock a couple of days ago. Wasn't as big as last years 700 but it was big enough.

Al Walker was filming his Mako at the Moxie...saw a sneak preview of the footage. Scary stuff, she was 500+ lbs. They were hand feeding it!:naughty

The one at the dock was about that size too. As bad as it sounds that is one less that I have to look for;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT