• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

new sporasub ONE Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I would buy the Omer sporasub ONE, everybody is telling you the gun is great!
I would then set out to buy, or even better, build a purpose gun for the big bass.
Jkwest on the site might make you a gun at a good price but in the meantime get the Omer, it looks like a superb piece of kit.

I had a look in on this thread a few times but I have only just studied it properly. Very interesting.

When did Sporasub become Omer? Has Omer carried on marketing Sporasub products as Sporasub or will they be renamed Omer? Who developed this gun? Does it come from the Omer line or was it developed by Sporasub?

No mention of price. How much does The One 90 cost in Europe?

Looks too big a gun for most UK species but game fish in the 20 odd pound range are more likely the target. As such using it in Ca for yellows, callicos etc seems good and the double band 105 would probably take WSB up to 50lb (using a slip tip).

Were you impressed by that? It's probably b*ll*cks. I have been to California but only as a tourist and I wouldn't know a WSB if it bit me in the arse. However, I do sit on said arse quite a lot and surf the Net.

One last point. I'm suprised a major gun manufacturer doesn't use some of this new barrel shaping technology to build lifters into the front end. The ones I made and fitted to my Omer XXV Gold 90 have made a big difference to my aiming, especially for quick snap shots. Maybe not so good on multi bands but on euro's with a single loop band I rate lifters.

Dave.

Reactions: Mr. X
Dave, it's impossible to explain in short. and anyway...
Sporasub has no more any relation at all with old Sporasub you used to know till a couple years ago. Till a couple years ago, the Sporasub brand belonged to the multinational Head/Htm, that owned (and still owns) the Mares and Dacor brands too.
At one point, a couple years ago, the Head/Htm group dumped the Sporasub brand, as they felt they didn't need two brands for the same type of products and the same target category (i.e. Mares and the old Sporasub).
That's when Omer came with a good idea: they bought the brand Sporasub (but only the brand, not the product line) and started a totally new line of new products under the resuscitated Sporasub label.
Now Sporasub is the luxury brand of Omer (same as Lexus for Toyota or Ferrari for Fiat) for wetsuits, fins, mask and accessories of superior quality and advanced design(suppossed to be, at least).
The One brand, instead, is a new luxury brand of Omer for bandguns: indeed the One speargun is a luxury version of Omer Caymans (stronger build, more metal parts rather than plastic, better shaft, better reel et cetera).
Nothing to do anymore with the older Sporasub products.

Thanks mate, I think that you have explained it very well.

I am about the most boring dive gear person. I have just about what I need and no more. Couple of guns, one suit, couple of sets of fins, one custom boat etc. However, what I do have, be it standard or modified, is I think top notch, very heavily used and exactly fit for my purpose. The new Sporasub/Omer One range might suit me.

Dave.

I went to my local dive shop today to buy a shaft and bands for my beloved 20 years old ivory handled Omer Model 86 that's in my DB avatar.

The guy at the shop had a One 80 on the counter, and freezed me with this question: "Why do you still shoot that old piece of sh!t???!", he said, pointing his forefinger to my beloved Model 86. "Look how fantastic guns they're making today". And started to show me the marvels of the One.

He spoke in exaltation of the hydroformed barrel, the solid undestructable assembly based on aerospace technologies, the perfectly hydrodinamics of the shape, the sensitivity of the trigger...

I replied that he was right, oh soo right, but that I already own some fantastic guns: my Seatecs, my C4, my Masters, and that no matter how good or revolutionary any new one can be, I don't actually need a new gun.

His final word was: "Maybe you don't need a new gun. But if ever, the One would be the only one really new. All the other guns you have are old technology, 10 years old or 20 years old technology. Only the One is something really new"...he said...

I didn't buy it finally, and maybe never will. But this got me thinking.

Just brief real life story telling from this morning.

Good story mate but have you seen any on line bargain priced ones for sale?

The One does very little for me. What am I missing? Is it just the build quality - more metal parts than usual? Camo is nice (as long as you don't drop it) but Omer offer that on some models too. The muzzle looks good but simple/robust, nothing fancy. I guess the open muzzle & shark-fins on the spear are fashionable - presumably it has a rail too? Pity they didn't use, say, a 3mm Dyneema wishbone instead of those metal articulated one. It looks very Omer-ish to me (which is not a bad thing), like a Cayman with HF/HF2 bulges. I prefer the look of horizontal reels - but then I never use a reel (does one work any better than the other?).

I'd be comparing prices with Rob Allen/Rabitech/Mako railguns, and chatting with Bill McIntyre about Daryl Wong spear-guns. Perhaps even look at the Beuchat Marlin. But I might still at the end go for the One (or a similar Omer Cayman) -- after all, I'm really happy with my super slim Omer XXV 75 and those Cayman handles look just the ticket for a longer, heavier gun.

Reactions: strangelove
X

Those are very good points, I have both guns and reels for that matter (HF, HF2 and One), I think I prefer the horizontal reel but the vertical one is less prom to bird nest. I am yet to get used to the drag control on One reel.

I would have to say my favority gun today is the HF2, I am planning on getting an HF2 90 for my trip to Brazil at the end of the year.

Reactions: Mr. X
I have now had the chance to personally use and test the One 105... Its a great gun handles like a European sports car and is priced, much the same. very accurate very sleek, but as far as performance i see little to no difference compared to my new Mako Oceanic 110. Great gun, but overpriced, might as well by the HF2...same gun almost

Reactions: strangelove
... I have both guns and reels for that matter (HF, HF2 and One), I think I prefer the horizontal reel but the vertical one is less prom to bird nest. I am yet to get used to the drag control on One reel.

I would have to say my favority gun today is the HF2, I am planning on getting an HF2 90 for my trip to Brazil at the end of the year.
Thanks for answering so fully strangelove. What is it that you like about the HF2 - the balance in the water - which I imagine is exceptional/perfect - or just the whole package?

I have now had the chance to personally use and test the One 105... Its a great gun handles like a European sports car and is priced, much the same. very accurate very sleek, but as far as performance i see little to no difference compared to my new Mako Oceanic 110. Great gun, but overpriced, might as well buy the HF2...same gun almost
With the various western currencies racing themselves to new lows, perhaps the exchange rate will help with the price at some point in the near future? But perhaps the prices are set marketing determined price points? I notice one of the wackier Sporasub floats (the inflatable catamaran) has been reduced from £165 to £110 on apnea.co.uk - although I would have though £24 might be a more appropriate price for it :(; nice idea but just didn't seem to work out right. Sporasub's big, solid, kick-board style float looks good too :) but again it is just extraordinarily expensive for something pretty basic/ordinary:(.

Despite their relative wealth, I found American's are often more demanding of value for money than their more sedate European brethren.

In fairness, I guess spear-fishing is not a real high-volume market and they are looking to squeeze maximum profit out of at least every sale from their premium range. There are probably enough folk about for whom this is chump change & money is of little consequence (many of Britain's top civil servants:duh, judging by the newspapers this week).

Last edited:
X
What I like about the HF2 is the slimmer barrel, it is a really pleasant gun in the water, it moves really well from side to side as well as up and down. I did not like the balance with the stock 6.5 mm shaft, IMO it is best with a 6.75 and a circular band. So I am using the 6.75mm One shaft with my HF2-100.

The HF and One are a little more bulky, I am sure my HF2 is not as moveable as your XXV but it is a very nice package. I am planning on getting a HF2-90 to kill mullets in Brazil.

If you want to double band I think it is best to get an HF or One.

All of them have the same problem of being lound, but I've patch that by wrapping vynil tape on my barrels.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about this new Beuchat?
It's very expensive (around £600) but it looks fantastic.

http://www.beuchat.fr/index.php?id=35&cat=2&sscat=13&prod=657

image2_1265194898.jpg

I'd forgotten that thread, just got carried away by the pictures and the price!
Good job we have on the ball db staff :) .

Regards,
Dave.

saw this thread, one of few, related to sporasub one..
i have a 105, and would like to see anyone played with the original setup? i am thinking about switching to double bands, 2x16... any experience?

saw this thread, one of few, related to sporasub one..
i have a 105, and would like to see anyone played with the original setup? i am thinking about switching to double bands, 2x16... any experience?
I'm picking ONE up this week(ordering it). I'll talk to my contact there and see if he will toss in the additional pair of bands for comparison. I have shot double and triple in the past. Personally, I liked having the option to 'adjust' the power depending on the distance of my shot. There were some tight places that I had ran 1 of 2/3 bands so I wouldn't burry my shaft in the rocks.

Really, I would say - do what works for you. If you prefer to load 1 band at a time and use less strength... 2 band system might be the thing for you. I have long arms and enough strength to keep using singles for multiple hours of hunting. Is it the best thing to do? Maybe not, but locally it works fine. In the warmer southern waters to me, I don't know... I'll see when I get there.

Well Mine is in transit and I'm told it will be here tues/wed... Mark wants me to give him a call when it comes in to go over the gun with me. I'm really impressed with the customer service thus far. Really if nothing else, Id continue to purchase from them for the customer service alone.

My One came in and I had some thoughts...
First. _ I couldn't find a "Included' list anywhere on the site or in the box.
2. _ Was hoping for a 7mm Shaft/ arrow/ spear but it is a 6.75 140cm - No biggie, just need to try it in the ocean
3. _ my line has some weird plastic like hard stuff on it. Almost like what you get when you burn synthetic rope. Some comes off but there are clumps in various places.
4. _ Sticker/ barcode on the spearshaft - Just one of those things, buying a premium product, you expect to not have to tinker with trivial things such as this. Goo Gone to the rescue
5. _ Handles are great - But for myself - I like a full sized handle. Having 2 to choose from is nice but my pinky is under the handle.
6. _ went into the pool and loaded the One. No suit or anything else on, just a rash guard. Got a nice layer or two off my chest from the plate. Might have to put a piece of 1mm silicone tape on the end. Having a second longer plate included is nice as well
7. _ comes with the hookup for a second spear (line and clamps)
8. _ good quality OMER nylon tip cove included too. We shall see how long before I loose it.
9. _ Already see a scratch on the bottom of the gun where the "95" is. I think it was just the swivel bouncing around in shipping. I think a drop of nail polish to cover up the exposed metal will do the trick. Might put a piece of the 1mm silicone tape to protect from further wear n tear from transport and use.
10. _ The bag you get included... Yeah, NO? Toss it or use it for anything other than a bag for your gun and spear.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT