• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New STA record attempt pending

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Please note that Stephane Mifsud does not ask for a world record holder title. He asked AIDA France for a National Record, only some of you are asking for it.

Please note that Stephane Mifsud does not ask for a world record holder title. He asked AIDA France for a National Record, only some of you are asking for it.

... and showed directly after his surfacing a big picture with "record du monde" and sent a press release with the new world record???

If he did that ...it's really a bad thing to do.
Why didn't he just invite AIDA judges and made an official WR attempt?Then no one could question his WR......

... and showed directly after his surfacing a big picture with "record du monde" and sent a press release with the new world record???

It was a question. I was not there.
But I saw many newsticker and the video at channel tf1 in the french tv.
I cant believe that is comming without assistance from stephane.

Actually I agree with Trux. WR should be stricter than NR and that is the really powerful thought to support the current system.

So he is some kind of World record holder (at least in France). But he is not an "Aida world record holder". Can we sort of agree on that.

The guy is pissed of at Aida and from what I hear he has good reason. Just shake the mans hand and give him back the 500 usd or offer him a test for free. The current Aida board are in a way responsible for what the earlier have done. At least they have an option to be constructive. Review the case, swollow the pride and send the man a nice email.

Sebastian

PS World records judged by the same nationality - not a good idea.

All,

Good to read the spirited discussion of AIDA and records. One thing that I have not heard mentioned at all is safety and how AIDA has been very very successful at enforcing safety at events all around the world. With the exception of no limits attempts I don't think anyone has died in an AIDA sanctioned event in years (would be nice to know how long?). The thing that Grant Graves passed on to me (in an AIDA judging course) was that the power that AIDA judges have to enforce safety comes about entirely from their ability to grant records and rankings and sanction competitions. Grant gave some examples of competition defects from a safety standpoint that he as an AIDA judge has had to insist be fixed before the competition went ahead. The AIDA judges of course cannot stop the competition, they can only say, if you don't fix these things we AIDA judges are leaving and whatever competition you do won't be AIDA sanctioned. So in this way the "controversy" over whether the rules are followed or not and if the performance results in a record or ranking is the force or energy for AIDA to help the sport grow both in safety and fairness. Safety and fairness in turn seem to be the essence of what everyone wants in freediving competitions. So then the question is what price do we pay for this safety and fairness, well the answer is a bit of money every time we compete, the judges volunteer though their lodging and travel is paid for, and also some worry about following all the correct rules. Seems like a great deal to me and if we hear some people grumbling about all the rules they have to follow and some people grumbling about how expensive the competitions are (it costs $75/day to go to disneyland) and no one dies then I would say everything is working perfectly. Cheers Wes

Stephan posted some info about the attempt and about his training on the forum of Esprit Apnée: Esprit Apnée :: Voir le sujet - tentative de record

Some of the details he speaks about:
  • Besides others he confirms the record was intentionally made with AIDA France only because he is pissed off with AIDA International since his record of 8:28 and won't communicate with them (post 13106).
  • He tells that for the first time he experienced some kind of contractions - but he felt them more like abdomen than diaphragm contractions (post 13283).
  • During 8 weeks before the attempt he trained 2 hours static per day and did three to four times per week 100 to 185 km bicycle trips (post 13289).

OK a lightbulb went off in my head and I think I understand more why Stephan did this French National record and not full AIDA international world record. Several people have said it was because Stephan was pissed at AIDA international but this doesn't explain why to do it only AIDA French. Why would he do it AIDA anything at all.

Think about this, what if next someone does 9:38 static at a world competition. Now this clearly breaks Tom Siesta's current WR of 9:08 (this from AIDA international website) and would be legitimate AIDA WR. Of course then you have a legitimate AIDA French National record that is 10:04 or 34 seconds more than the official AIDA International WR. This would make AIDA International look pretty stupid (for some people anyway) and I think as well as stimulating discussions like this, is partly why Stephan did the 10:04 as French National record only to make this point.

Cheers Wes

no, this statement is too simple.
stephane knows that the executive committee has changed 3 years ago. he knows there is no way to get a refund for his money...
tom sietas, sam still and a lot of other freedivers had the same problem. - tom has paid more than 1500 euro... for nothing! and kept all his attempts with aida nevertheless.

this is the only way and this is accepted from martin stepanek, herbert nitzsch, carlos coste, tanya streeter etc... and all competive freedivers in the world. stephane is alone! nobody will recognize his record.

it is a shame for him and us.

"it is a shame for him and us." SO AIDA, GET IT SORTED!!!!!
I am pretty sure than neither AIDA nor Stephan will do the first step and approach the other side. Both Stephan, and the AIDA leadership are pretty proud egos and would feel it as personal defeat if they did so. Though someone who knows both sides may try to contact them separately and try to find out if they are willing to negotiate some compromise and under which conditions. I am sure that both sides would be quite happy (and we the community too) if it got sorted out. So if there is anyone among you who knows Bill and Stephan personally, this may be a good opportunity to try solving this situation.

Bill Stromberg asked me for contact details about Mifsud, so I guess he contacted him already..

I don't think that he is problem is 500 euro refund. Standard of leaving in France is very high and if you are trying to set a world record you will have a sponsor to pay for all of this. So it is possible to be something else something to do whit the doping tests. He is the only one how has problems whit the international judges .

Well 500€, it is a lot, believe me... I was was not on his precedent record attempt, so i may have missundertood what "really" appened, but the problem may be quite simple... If you pay thousands of Euro to make high level judges travelling to your attempt from abroad, if they say "white card", why has it been charged later (point 1.30 of the rules) by people who were not present during the attempt ?

I am pretty sure than neither AIDA nor Stephan will do the first step and approach the other side. Both Stephan, and the AIDA leadership are pretty proud egos and would feel it as personal defeat
Lovely, as if I had written it myself:)
So if there is anyone among you who knows Bill and Stephan personally, this may be a good opportunity to try solving this situation.
I suggested just this when meeting Bill in Maribor (where he did a terribly good job without any proud ego involved). He was not familiar with the "whitecard/500Euro" incident. But I suggested humbly taking a bow and publicly apologize and give Mifsud a free doping test or something (I dont think anything less will do since Mifsud is not only a proud ego (which I also would be if I could hold my breath for 10 minutes)) but he is also french...

Sebastian

PS What a lovely little soapopera

If Bill were to make strident moves to resolve this matter, on what is seen as almost a personal issue, he gets loads of house points from me at least. Being Aida president provides him with authority, power and choice. We voted him in to represent the freediving community, and that community includes Stephane, the French, the Italians, everybody. If we see a problem, then we fix it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT