• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to freediving Want information on how to do statics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ruhl

Jan 3, 2005
I have tried doing dry statics, 3 full breath holds every 2 days until contractions start but my breath hold times did not increase. Is my volume to low? Do I need to do more statics in my workouts? How much volume do you guys put in your workouts?

Also, what is the difference between full breath holds versus empty breath holds on physiological adaptations to apnea? Is each an equaly feasible means of developing breath hold times?

If you want to improve at doing statics, by only doing statics (and no other cross training or juggling of variables), then you will need to push the static right to the limit (almost to the point of samba/LMC). Although this can be safe when done 'dry', it is very dangerous if done in the water or even the bathtub, so be sure to have someone watching if you do it in the water (and that person should be educated on what to do in the case of a samba or blackout).

Holding your breath only until the contractions just start will not produce much (if any) improvement.

Why not try the new method discussed in thread "Static with no warm-up". Laminar has some great suggestions for beginners.

How a pure beginner could start to use the "maximum stimulus" method of static apnea training and progress to be doing maximum 100% statics on the first attempt:

Phase 1) "Maximum effort" means no warm up and going as far as comfortable, not as far as is possible. Beginner here learns how body reacts, how to hold breath despite contractions or suffocation feeling, when contractions will come, how it feels to keep going. In this stage, it is useful to perform 3-5 statics in a row, but it should be emphasized that adequate recovery is useful, but not a breathe up. The goal here is consistency, and establishing the idea that while no warm up is needed and indeed, is beneficial, frequent PRACTICE is paramount.

Ruhl, what are you doing aditionally with practice apneas?? Are you running, swiming ....?? The practice of aerobic and anaerobic training will help you to improve your Cardio Res System more than if you practice only apneas. If you are training try to do apneas while. I´m sure you will see improvings quickly.

Bye

Do you know for sure that experiencing sambas does not cause brain damage? I have read of people on these forums who say they don't think as well as they used to and add the possibility that this could be due to undergoing hypoxia training.

Well, when I checked my Iq at Mensa, it was in the intervall 140-150, so it cant be too destructive:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT