• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New to spearfishing from Brighton

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi captain j , i also have recently bought a 75 venom and had some decent fish with it this year. I mainly fish Seaford (splash point) or Newhaven arm both good for Bass Mullet or flaties along the shore 7-10 meters out, have u tryed these areas yet?

Tried the arm this Saturday and got a Bass and a couple of Pollack.

I need to ditch the scuba gear though. At best I get about 1 hour underwater, and its heavy, long walk with all the kit!

I notice that the further you go out along the arm, the bigger and more frequent the fish. Didn't get more than 2/3rds of the way along unfortunately.

Where is splash point?

Head east to the end of the road that runs along the seafront in Seaford, park in the end car park and splash point is to the left of the jetti that runs out into the sea. the water is about 5 meters at high tide and if u head along the coast there are string weed beds good for Bass . Im heading down there this weekend weather permitting

Tried the arm this Saturday and got a Bass and a couple of Pollack.

I need to ditch the scuba gear though. At best I get about 1 hour underwater, and its heavy, long walk with all the kit!

You use scuba gear to spearfish?:rcard

You use scuba gear to spearfish?:rcard

Its strange I'm going full circle! I'll explain..

I have a boat in Brighton Marina. For years and years I've dived free dived under the boat to scrub her clean. Used to take about 40 minutes by myself which was fine. I managed to stay under for about 45 seconds scrubbing the algae.

A couple of years ago I bought a much bigger boat. For the last two years I have continued to scrub the bottom by freediving. This is where the story changes, it now took close to 2 hours. I'd also feel very dizzy! I now know why. Too much hyperventilating.

From this point I decided to do a PADI course so that I could clean the boat without killing myself. Needles to say I learnt on the course that the hyperventilation I was doing was extremely dangerous. Anyway I got the PADI and cleaned my boat in no time at all. I thought it a bit extravagent doing the PADI just clean my boat so decided to jump off the side along the coast to see what was about.

As a keen airgun hunter I thought a speargun might be a good idea so invested in a Venom 75. To my suprise on my first descent I speared 5 pollack.

I'm enjoying the spearfishing more and more!!

So I'm now back to the point where I feel that I might as well ditch the scuba gear in favour of freediving - especially since I'm quite well practiced.

I've got a nice 6mm Elios Black Shadow ordered so I'm on track for freediving!

Just need to buy a float.

I have a full set of dive gear too. Never use it now as you see more fish life freediving anyway. The only bubbles i blow these days are out of my a*# !:t

oh right i did not realise you meant scuba diving captain j, what was the vis like at seaford, have you tried those rocks along the edge of the long arm at newhaven, they look quite good, found that out from spaniard but have yet to dive them.
oh and thanks for the help spaniard, i will pm him.

Anyone from here spearing from Brighton Marina this morning at about 7.15am ?

Looked like a nice Bass!

Water was good by the look of it.

well dont worry just got back and you did not miss much, water was really clear but only saw wrasse and some very small pollack went near the brighton marina. you scuba diving at newhaven or spearfishing. do you use a boat when you go there or shore dive.

well dont worry just got back and you did not miss much, water was really clear but only saw wrasse and some very small pollack went near the brighton marina. you scuba diving at newhaven or spearfishing. do you use a boat when you go there or shore dive.

Shorediving from Newhaven arm tomorrow at high tide.

I think I met Paolo there the last time,not sure if he frequents this forum though?

I will probably play it by ear with regard to scuba or not.

Agood friend of mine will be with me and I know he's itching to get in and try out his new Elios suit.

I'll probably go for a scuba and then try some free diving.

Got to try my new Beuchat!

Sounds like you met Paolo de Michelis, a London based Italian spearo who is a member of the London Club. Paolo is a great spearo so learn from him!! He has had some fantastic Bass from Newhaven and is always keen to help fellow spearos. Good luck!

hello i would like to get into spearfishing but i don't know who to speak to please help. thanks:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT