• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New World Record for Great Whites

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Sven,
That was a cheap shot, but man, it was such an opening I couldn't resist:p

We managed to dodge the worst of the storm activity . . .a few trees and branches came down around us, but nothing through the roof! I've got to check in on Anderson . . .he was near landfall on a couple of those.

Oh, to make this relevant to the thread, we don't great whites here in FL to enjoy dangerous encounters . . .all we have to do is ignore evacuation notices and we get all the action we need.

Last edited:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by icarus pacific
I carry some means of protection with me when I go in and it's between my legs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, not meant to offend you, but this was sort of given away.

Aren’t they attracted by little Wieners? :rcard

Or...

Has it successfully been used as a repellent before?

Respectfully Brutta Borsa:eek:

Headlands

As you are discovering, DB is an unusually polite place, especiallly when compared to many other sites on the internet. It is polite on purpose, we like it, are proud of it, and are quick to protect it. DB is also full of phenominally skilled divers from all over the world who are willing to share their expertise with us. Stick around, you will learn more than you can imagine. Just think carefully about the words you post.

Connor

Great whites

Originally posted by cjborgert

Oh, to make this relevant to the thread, we don't great whites here in FL to enjoy dangerous encounters.

Sorry to break the news to you man but there are great whites in the atlantic and yes they do come as far south as Florida. In fact
there has been over a dozen sightings within 30 miles off the coast of Jacksonville :(. I've talked to several offshore fisherman and one guy had a good theory(at least to me) about them.He said they come here every year when the whales migrate here with there calves
looking for an opportunity for a meal.In the gulf of mexico about 4
years ago there was an estimated 12footer that was traveling from dauphin island Alabama to panama city FL searching for food.

From what I heard they only attack men with small spears so I don't think I have anything to worry about:)Just kidding !!

Anybody watching the presidential debates?

I think a few GW's should be kept in captivity for study (if they can safely be kept) and if it's necessary or useful, which I would guess it is, given how elusive they are in the wild. In Southern California at least, I question whether Great Whites are still "endangered." I know many scientists and studies have declared them endangered (at one time), but from what I'm hearing, encounters are increasing, as is the pinniped population.

Here is the link to the graph showing shark attacks vs activities, as you can see spearfishing is actually about equal to other forms of fishing. I'm gussing this is surf fishing. It looks like I may need to paint a spearo on the bottom of my surfboard with big eyes looking through the mask.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/sharks/incidentactivity.html

Speaking of Great Whites and freediving, have any of you seen these pics of Ralf Kiefner. I am assuming he is the one in the water with the sharks. I think this might be same guy that I have seen on Discovery or NG channel, doing similar dives. Just goes to show you that your body language and understanding of the animal goes a long way. Other wise this guy would have been gone a long time ago.

http://sharkdivingunlimited.com/gallery/ralfkiefner.html

i wonder if his balls set off metal detectors? major kudos to him and all the SA boys for getting in the water with those babies around.

Re: Great whites

Originally posted by ajwaverider
Originally posted by cjborgert

Oh, to make this relevant to the thread, we don't great whites here in FL to enjoy dangerous encounters.

Sorry to break the news to you man but there are great whites in the atlantic and yes they do come as far south as Florida.

I typed too fast . . ."need" should have appeared between "don't" and "great" . . .so my point was that regardless of whether we have them, we don't need them to be manly men who conquer danger every day (this is important on such a polite freediving site, where testosterone is measured in outlandish tales).

But thanks for the info aj. . .that's interesting stuff. I did not realize GWs were more than a once-in-a-blue-moon novelty in FL waters. I just returned from surf kayaking off St. Augustine beach, and probably poked a few of those bad boys with my paddle without even knowing it!!!

By the way, where do you freedive off the JAX coast, . . . or do you? We frequent the springs in central FL, but would love to know of decent ocean diving closer than the Palm Beach area.

PS: I assume by your reference to the Presidential debates, you meant the two with small spears (?)

Last edited:
Well, Californa has had a abalone hunter death by GWS attack this year. This kind of makes me nervous, but I guess those events are rare. Nonetheless, it reminds us that these events do happen, and its good to be aware and have a good alert system.
Is there some sort of outlet for people to report shark sightings?

Also, those figures are astounding when you consider that the figures for spearos are a fraction lower than for other fishing types. If you consider that spearos are actually in the water with their prey (and their predators). Why this is e may not fully understand, but it is comforting.

Aquatic ape, Thanks for the link, those were great pics! That guy has big brass ones.

chalk up another

Lending further credence to the adage about not going where you shouldn't, a surfer got hit the other day here in No Cal in the Pt Reyes area. A white of about 6-8 feet took a liking to the dangling leg of the surfer and needed a fist to the head to let go. The guy made it back to the beach and is recovering.

What this demonstrates AGAIN is that at this time of year especially, Whites are in close and searching for the pups delivered the previous spring. It's no new news that the area that the surfer was in is "sharky" and also that bait, seals, were in the water.

That a guy chooses to jump into a area widely recognized to have more whites than Austrailia, Africa and the Northeast, that area being a triangle from South of San Francisco in San Mateo County out to the Farallons and back in and up to Tomales/Pt Reyes, continues to confound me and asking me to feel bad for the guy is a waste of time.

I'm sure not saying the guy deserved it, but he sure wasn't making it easy on himself either. :head

Fortunately this area is to the South of the 2004 Ab Grab being held in an area less sharky. Sometimes. ;)

Reactions: mishu1984
I subscribe to their news letter. Not only did I miss the GW but now they have 13 Mahi. Maybe next time.

1. EXHIBIT NEWS: WHITE SHARK UPDATE, MAHIMAHI, LEAPING BLENNIES
AND MORE
Our young white shark continues to do well in the Outer Bay exhibit. She doesn’t feed every day, but when she eats she often consumes between two and four pounds of salmon fillets and mackerel, with vitamin supplements. Look for online updates with the latest white shark news.

Also brand new to the Outer Bay exhibit are 13 mahimahi, collected by our husbandry staff off Southern California. They range from two to three feet in length, but based on past experience they’ll grow larger over the next few years. They’re all feeding and doing well. We’ve also added another 1,000 sardines to the exhibit, where they are schooling and surviving.
They school now numbers about 2,000 individuals. They’re most often visible at the lower exhibit window in Vanishing Wildlife, but occasionally venture up to the second level.

The site also explains what happened to their ocean sunfish. It was one of my favorites. Thanks for the link.

Mola mola is not considered good eating at all. Maybe that's a good thing, since it wouldn't be terribly sporting to hunt them. They're funny little creatures though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT