• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Are you ready to rumble? Suunto Dive-Off 2010

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
You might call it "Clash of the Titans" or the most anticipated freediving competition we've seen in years, but either way William Trubridge's annual apnea affair -- Vertical Blue -- promises to be a fantastic gathering of world-class athletes.Free...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.com News Item...

PFI used to film thier events and release a dvd it would be great if that was done with this event. Could even do it through i-tunes and not even have to manufacture a cd

GREAT! - I love to see the top athletes really push each other! - Please, can we expect some youtube reporting, video really brings the event to life for us over sees! - Guilliaume Nery's telephone video's were already fun to watch, but I just love to see you guys go down, swim, and come up from these incredible depths!

There is always a dilemma with these events: while it would be nice to edit together video updates to post to the official site, YouTube etc, the actual number of people following these sites (other freedivers and family) probably only number in the hundreds. So during the event our priority has to be to supply raw media to TV channels and newspapers. Since our media crew have limited time, it is mostly spent, ripping, sorting and uploading this footage so that it can be accessed by the media - very little time remains to edit together videos to post on the web.
It is very unfair, as our most loyal friends and supporters (you freedivers) don't have the chance to follow the event as closely. We are looking at ways of amending this, and if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post them here.
William.

Reactions: Kars
Will, try speaking to Jorg Jansen at Shark Freediving - he works a lot with media, so if you give him the same material you are giving to the TV outlets, or some other raw video material (such as the judge videos), I am sure he'll be happy compiling an online version and posting it on his website.

I wish there were live cameras! It would be amazing to see them competing live!

Have a News FTP server.

Remote (Deeperblue?) reporters, can from this 'raw' data compile a nice daily video report on the basis of what you catch and put on your local FTP server. From this server not only the Deeperblue reporter but all the other news agencies can download the raw stuff your guys collect and put out. Every day a new directory, with raw rough or unedited video, your written press report, interviews, photographs. You can strike deals with news agencies for access too.

Since at your location the internet is not super fast, you may want to strike a (sponsor) deal with a local ISP (internet service provider), setting up the FTP, making sure it's easy and fast enough for your international event. Maybe your local government can chime in this one as well, since this event will put the Bahamas' on the international news, "diving is extremely good in the Bahamas'! " Good PR, good for tourism. Maybe government wants to help you with a nice intro video. Some aerial footage of the Bahamas and the blue hole, some UW shots with scuba divers and lot's of fish and some local cultural street/ beach scenes for portraying the Bahamas' and an introduction of the event.

I hope this idea can alleviate your organisation and still get video to your loyal worldwide freediving and extreme sports crowds! (Maybe inform Reuters and Associated Press as well as some sports TV channels such as Eurosport.)

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Reactions: kelp princess
Oh Kars, I wish it was that simple!
There are no fast ISPs on the island, local government is a stonewall, and our sport doesn't involve a ball...
We are trying, and have already had some offers since my first post, so keep your fins crossed.

In case of a slow connection I recommend you compress the video with FLV or WMV, or some other widely supported MPEG4 codec and upload it to a server outside of your 'slow' area. Maybe Trux want to offer you some space? Alternately you can rent a cheap server, with large capacity in the USA.

Selling Freediving as a Team effort.

In terms of selling it to your local government, your government likes control and money, just like any other government. Spin the perception in such a way, that it appeals to those kind of people. You can offer as a bonus to have the local lord do the 'honours', pleasing his - huge inflated - ego! - Having big camera's around helps too.

Maybe invite Umberto and Enzo with the Italian media to raise the event's "charisma" with the presence of historic figures.

Focus on team-sports.

True enough, in this time of communitarian-ism, our leaders want to promote the group efforts. Individualism is considered to unpredictable and even a tread. So keeping this current political wind in mind I would sell the event with a slogan like:
"NEW GLOBAL FREEDIVING COMMUNITY on new path of evolution to NEW WORLD RECORDS".*

To communicate this 'message' I think the very sportive freediving community always had this fairly unique trade of divers supporting each other, even be supportive to divers who in other sports would be considered dangerous opponents. Filming top freedivers communicating, smiling and congratulating each other after success will help to make the whole event look like a team effort, a work of 'united nations' in pursue of a co-creative exploration of the human depth.*

* Notice I used many political correct buzz-words on purpose acting a key to get support and media attention.

I hope this post did bring to you some 'new' ideas, and I hope you keep us posted how the organisation is coming along.

Personally I love individualism, as new ideas and actions always come from the individual. I love the individual differences and unpredictability, as they seem to challenge me to seek, be creative, experience, have an open mind and explore it's deepest depths to find out for myself.

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

compressing that much video and uploading two different batches (high and low res) is, again, a prohibitively protracted process.
Unless there is rivalry or at least one or two from blood/sweat/tears then the press won't be interested: "communitarian sport" only sells in mountain climbing, where there is a good helping of all three.

Will, as I wrote, try contacting Jorg - I think he may be interested taking care of both parts, so you'd only need to send the raw material to him, and he could make two different versions, one for media, and another one for the web.

And if Jorg shows no interest, I know also a Czech and a French media company specialized in freediving who can be interested in helping you out. And there are certainly others. Well, they are professionals, and make their living with it, but perhaps there is a way to make it interesting for them enough without you having to pay too expensive for it. Let me know if you want the contacts.

I reckon that it doesn't have to be full HD quality for the initial TV media, the more common 720 format will do. To further narrow down the data processing amount, you can limit the amount of footage to for example:
- Two winning dives (2 x 5 minutes), the 5 minute interview with the winners, the one special performance of the day 3 minute + 3 minute interview and finally an intro and closing vid basically for setting, summarising the day - 5 minutes. A total of 31 minutes of video a computer can upload through the night - hands free - with an FTP program. I'm sure you can easily cut this number of video minutes down even further.

The only things your pre editing media person needs to do are:
- To collect the relevant footage of the 4 cams (surface, below surface, bottom, and interview cam)
- Apply a basic colour filter to the UW shots so the water looks blue, and process the rough footage into the 720 "MPEG4" format,
- Upload 1 time to a remote server. (accessible by the public media through password system)

Now the Deeperblue and other reporters can download the footage and do their own cut and do voice overs.

For sponsorship purposes, make sure your interviews are made in part front of a sponsor wall depicting your sponsor's names'.

You can upload to the same Server:
- PDF with the written daily report / press release.
- Photo's - with short descriptions.
- PDF with an explanation of the most common freedive terms used. (something you can have prepared way before the comp, I've got such a list on my site, but I think that there are better ones elsewhere)

Maybe an Audio interview in MP3 format.

Now if you need to go really low bandwidth, and even old TV format (~ 512x376) and the shortest clips won't do, you can go with a bunch of good photographs in combination with MP3 audio interviews. Flash slide show comes to mind.

What kind of upload speed can be achieved from the best connection from the island?
Maybe some rich guy has a better satellite connection from his boat?

I think with You, Herbert, and Martin there is plenty of rivalry, but indeed you may need to exaggerate it a bit on camera and during interviews? (I like the Umberto quote about Pipin: "I don't like him as a man" LOL) I know William Winram also has his ideas how to draw more media attention. Maybe he can provide some ideas or some act in the drama department? You could ask a local doctor for some scaremongering talking about squeezes, decompression, clogged sinuses, perforated eardrums, and other minor difficulties we freedivers are dealing with.

You can ask the participants to put some more danger and difficulties and character into their answers during interviews, have some cool nicknames the viewers can recognise and identify with. For instance Sara Campbell's "Mighty mouse" nickname.

And if you're really desperate you can do the unashamed discipline :)

Last edited:
I've got plenty of space on my ftp site - if you want to bother with uploading I'll be happy to send along the link. No need to be renting space.

Really - I think DB should send a reporter down there to gather data and pics, write stuff, and upload raw compressed video overnight to some industrious editor type :)

Unfortunately Martin Stepanek has pulled out from this year's edition of Vertical Blue, so we will have to wait for a head-to-head between him and Herbert Nitsch for Constant Weight, or a three-way challenge with myself for FIM and CNF...
Fortunately rumours have it there are other contenders for all three records from among the pool of eleven male athletes...

:/ i really was looking forward to see Martin, Herbert and You in action at once;/
But I'm sure that this years Vertical Blue will be amazing!
I'm looking forward to it!

I think Martin's teaching schedule hasn't given him any time to train. I think we can all relate to work interfering with diving, though I'm sure it's more frustrating when work is diving...

If you are interested in following the 2010 VERTICAL BLUE INVITATIONAL, with live, minute-by-minute updates from Dean's Blue Hole during the competition, then you may want to join this facebook page: Vertical Blue | Facebook
As soon as diver's breach the surface and world records are broken a team member on the side of the blue hole will text the news directly to this page.

Live updates will also be posted to the following twitter account:
William Trubridge (onebreathdive) on Twitter

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT