• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jorg said:
I've got webspace enough to make it public to everyone...
Hmm, make sure you got the consent of the author/copyright holder first - putting the whole thing online, especially right now, when it is still rather fresh and may generate income to the author, may be considered a criminal act (in the worst case), or a copyright violation (in the best).

Veronika said:
The thing I wonder the most about the whole show: How much did it cost? And who the heck paid for all this?
Jorg, would be great if someone could give you the video to put it online...!

Veronika

I don't know how much it cost, but it looked to be an entirely ABC/Disney production, so they would've paid for everything.

The special cost between 1-2 million to make.

Ad space ran at 125,000.00 USD.

33 minutes of ad space translates to roughly 8.25 million gross ad revenue profit.

DB has a four special/2 million dollar deal with ABC.

ABC gets the ad profit, minus the 1-2M cost on making the special, minus DB's half-a-mil salary.

DB also makes plenty from his book and dvd's as well as a lucrative TLC syndication deal for his other specials.

As of a couple of years ago, Forbes Mag had him pegged at a salary of about 8m annually.

DB recently bought an apartment in Tribeca, NYC for 1.67 million. The interior of one of the rooms to his pad was seen in the special.

Zennis

Reactions: smellsfishy
Tell you what - I'm definitely bidding on that perpsex sphere when it goes on ebay! (only if Blaine's got good feedback of course - can't be to carefull! )

I just re-watched the very end - Mandy-Rae is FAST! - there was no wasted motion at all - she was a silver streak and just seemed to suddenly arrive in perfect position as though teleported. Cool to watch.

There were a couple of things I found pretty funny.

1. The cheesy doctor scenes - specifically the one with the doctor shooting/launching 90% of his drugs out of the syringe.

2. The fact that Martin and Mandy needed to "suit up" for 30 second dip in 90+ degree water.

Gotta love TV !

LOL - I remember thinking 'somebody told that guy - 'put a huge needle on and shoot stuff outta the syringe' so he just kept doing that.

Last edited:
zentennis said:
The special cost between 1-2 million to make. ...
Holy moly. I'd like to have that budget for my freediving creer .

Scuby said:
I'm definitely bidding on that perpsex sphere when it goes on ebay!
Well that's exactly what I thought . But probably the shipping costs are too high :t .

Veronika

1. With that kinda doe involved they could have shot 100 year old wine through that syringe if they wanted to.

2. Last I remember those suits were called exposure protection. Sheesh! The guy has been in there for a week! Eeeeeeeewwwwww.

I read a quote from Kirk saying that only a handfull of people can do a 4 minute static with training. I wonder if he really believes that or it was a mis-quote.

I've done a 3 minute static with no training so find that hard to believe. I'm curious as to how many here have done 4 minute statics. At least a handful I think.

giuice said:
Eric, Do you think that he can get more than 8' ?
If he again breathes oxygen, then it should not be too difficult without the stress of the 7 days long underwater stay. His organism and psychic were pretty under stress now, so if he does it in better conditions, he will certainly easily manage to go over 8 or 9 minutes, even if he does not saturate his body with oxygen for too long.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…