• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I heard through a member of the Cayman crew that David had done 7 minutes in static in the pool under normal conditions....I think getting to eight minutes or higher is a tough task for anyone. Just ask Martin, Timo, Eric, Karl, Sam, and Tom who spent months or years trying to get there.

If he tries again, I really would only believe it if AIDA was there. But I hope he gives it a shot.

BTW, I love how Kirk is getting good at media spin with his comment about if he and Mandy/Martin had not interveened, David would still be at the bottom holding his breath. rofl

With all due respect to Kirk and co., I think David's breath-holding approach to reach his goal was simply put.... misconceived. With a wholly different approach I have no doubt he would have reached (easily?) his goal. But I've got to keep some things secret, otherwise its not magic! :mute

Seb

Sebastien, you can tell the secret here! No problem, no one is reading this thread anyway! please please tell me and the two other readers of this thread....

laminar said:
BTW, I love how Kirk is getting good at media spin with his comment about if he and Mandy/Martin had not intervene, David would still be at the bottom holding his breath.
That's double-sensed (probably intentionally). You can understand it so, that if they did not intervene, Blaine would go on holding his breath forever and hence died, since he was already without motoric control and still chained. BTW, from the video clip you can see that Blaine lost his motoric control around 6 min, and got a really strong samba at ~6:20

trux said:
That's double-sensed (probably intentionally). You can understand it so, that if they did not intervene, Blaine would go on holding his breath forever and hence died, since he was already without motoric control and still chained. BTW, from the video clip you can see that Blaine lost his motoric control around 6 min, and got a really strong samba at ~6:20

Thanks for explaining the joke :head
Peace,
Erik Y.

Oy, Trux, there must be a better way ! I'm sure I'm exposed to pop culture as much as most people - it's just so terribly forgettable ! I wonder if there are sets of flash cards for sale with pics of this week's celebs on one side and their names on the other......

I could drill them on the airplane until I've go them committed to memory.

Anyway, Drowned Alive! was a workmanlike piece of TV product. Everybody see the Nielsen overnights ? BTW - I've forgotten what the viewership multiplier is, for converting ratings or share to viewers. The second hour of Drowned Alive ! had about 8.25 million US households tuned in. Anybody know the viewers-per-household factor ?

Reactions: Adrian
I just heard Diane Sawyer's interview with Blaine. I can't quote exactly but he basically said the handcuffs were a bad idea. Also he didn't have a key. He had a safety pin that he was using to pick them. Of course he can probably pick a lock faster than I can open it with a key. I'm sure the gloves didn't help in that regard.

pkotik said:
Oy, Trux, there must be a better way ! I'm sure I'm exposed to pop culture as much as most people - it's just so terribly forgettable ! I wonder if there are sets of flash cards for sale with pics of this week's celebs on one side and their names on the other......

I could drill them on the airplane until I've go them committed to memory.

How about consulting british tabloids ?

Doesn't he have a four special deal with abc? Trick will be to package the next attempt into an entire special. Maybe nine minutes while halo jumping from 35,000 feet?

You know what suprises me most about that "Drowned Alive" show ???
That it exites us so much.

Look !!! There's REAL FREEDIVING going on all around !!!

Why we don't talk so much about Carlos who've just broke word record FOR REAL ?!
And he's going to go for another.
And what about William Trubridge ? He's REAL too. :)

And David is a illusionist. A good one - that's for sure. But his stunt had nothing to do with freediving word record in static apnea. Even if he did 1 hour.

Greetings.

Juniorre said:
..Why we don't talk so much about Carlos who've just broke word record FOR REAL ?!
Because there is no contraversy, and no doubt he achieved it through hard training. There is little to discuss apart of sending congratulations and express our amazment. If you open the Carlos thread, and see the number of congratulations, for many it makes few sense to add another "me too" :)

pkotik said:
Paul, just get a remote credit card reader - you will immediately know who is in front of you (well, unless it is a pick-pocket who just picked a wallet to someone else). And additionally you may be able to see if their account balance makes them interesting enough for a chat :chatup

David was on US TV last night, and stated that he has thought of a new endeavour but did not elaborate too much. From what he did say, it sounds like a moving apnea with a "one way or die" resolution.
I like this guy.
I could care less about promoting freediving to the masses as I have no commercial aspirations in the field, but the fact is that this week people everywhere are trying to hold their breath at least once and a lot of attention has been put on freediving. I wonder what the Search Engines look like in the last week?
Peace,
Erik Y.

Erik - i've been collecting details of search engine stats over this period and will be posting some info soon.

but the fact is that this week people everywhere are trying to hold their breath at least once and a lot of attention has been put on freediving
______

Yes - that's truth even my mon is talking now about freediving

Zentennis wrote:
"DB recently bought an apartment in Tribeca, NYC for 1.67 million. The interior of one of the rooms to his pad was seen in the special."

To put things in proper perspective, $1.67 million is a very, very modest price for digs in Manhattan, especially in a hip area like Tribeca. I have no particular confidence in the truth of that number, or in any other published info about any person who employs a publicist, but if it is true that place would have been a dump. A fixer-upper. Very small, or something really wrong with it. Here's a reference point: I used to keep a tiny studio flat ( 600 square feet /60 square meters) in a decent doorman building in the centrally-located but decidedly unfashionable Clinton district ( what used to be called "Hell's Kitchen", and still is by Blaine's PR people in his bio !). I rented it for a few years. In 2000, the building went condo - the rental tenants were booted and the flats sold. The one I rented - one room about the size of two ping-pong tables - sold for $900,000. Prices have risen very sharply since then. Friends who bought a very small two-bedroom flat near the UN building in 2000 have made about 300% on that speculation up to now.

Prices in Manhattan are, simply put, insane. If David Blaine really lives in a $1.67 million flat in Tribeca, he must have to rent storage space for his toys!

I mean, I consider it a phenomenal magic trick to spend 8 days in a hotel room in Manhattan, never mind a fluid-filled sphere !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT