• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I find the debates about the Blaine stunt very entertaining. I haven't had this much fun since the old days of debating how the transporter on Star Trek worked. I am sobered, though, when I recall how heated those debates became, and how many friendships (and at least one marriage) shattered. All over a device which hasn't actually been invented yet.

By the way - did you know that the landing skids on the first model of the Enterprise's shuttlecraft were made out of Gillette disposable razors sprayed with silver paint ? That explains why they didn't corrode in the eatupium-tainted atmosphere of Thanatos III, in episode 722. In one word - plastic. Yep.

pkotik said:
By the way - did you know that the landing skids on the first model of the Enterprise's shuttlecraft were made out of Gillette disposable razors sprayed with silver paint ? That explains why they didn't corrode in the eatupium-tainted atmosphere of Thanatos III, in episode 722. In one word - plastic. Yep.

Actually, I did.:t

Eric, very nice analysis. I wish I could see some good and clear footage of the whole event...

Paul, any change on a final interview with David about what happened and what he's going to do?

Great analysis eric thanks, after 7 days in the tank surely he had become a lot weaker also and undoing the chains could therefore being a lot harder than was anticipated he seemed to have difficulty and I don,t think he was in a place where that was just for show. As was mentioned already he has given us a lot to talk about regardless of how we feel about the stunt or performance call it what you will, from a freedivers point of view it was never a record attempt as AIDA were not present so I think it was a worthwhile spectacle and enjoyed watching. A huge deal of respect to him on all counts for the ordeal and to PFI for their professionalism.

Jorg said:
Eric, very nice analysis. I wish I could see some good and clear footage of the whole event...

Paul, any change on a final interview with David about what happened and what he's going to do?

Maybe. Frankly, after last week in New York, my feeling is that if I never see David Blaine again it will be too soon.

how can I see the video of the tom sieta doing his 8 -45 minutes?

does anybody know ?

saludos

I guess there's enough time and distance between me, on the one hand, and David Blaine's enforcers on the other. I'm ready to spill the beans, let the cat out of the bag - tell the truth about Drowned Alive! I'll make a lot of enemies, ruin my livelihood and never go to lunch in New York again, but here goes:

I shot the Sheriff - but I DID NOT shoot the Deputy.

Well, Kirk has certainly had his fifteen minutes of fame according to MY criteria... he has been impersonated on Saturday Night Live!

Cool!!

trux said:
I have to admit, Eric, that I've read your detailed analysis with certain satisfaction, because since the very beginning (as soon as in the post #49 on page 2) I claimed with certainty that Blaine will (have to) breath oxygen.
I had exactly the same thought in post 23:)

Last edited:
Forget about David Blaine, this is the

But seriously, I'm still searching for some good footage of the event... someone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: naiad
featherland said:
Well, Kirk has certainly had his fifteen minutes of fame according to MY criteria... he has been impersonated on Saturday Night Live!

Cool!!

Any more details on this Blaine thing on SNL ? Anybody record it ?

Haydn, thanks for the video, finally one in a good format. It's pretty clear that he is not BO at all. He's having problems holding his breath, but he still under the living... kicking his feet and moving his arms when he's going to the surface. Anyway, pretty nice show!

As always, BRILLIANT analysis Eric. That's why we keep you around though right? Lol, thanks man, your appreciated.

I didn't think it looked like an LMC or Blackout. I just couldn't figure out why he wouldn't have blacked out. OR why he got contractions so late. I first thought he over breathed, but Kirk wouldn't have let that happen. I was clueless.

NO WONDER Blaine was so dissapointed. Hopefully he's left with a profound sense of respect for both PFI and Tom Sietas.

Show business is show business, I guess that can never be changed. As was said the real show and the real hero's are by far the PFI team. Way to go guy's, keep up the good work...

~JMP

New type/version BO
my idea if you get out of control or any little panic you can not put the key to the hole,
brain never gives you that chance, he lost his control around 5:00 , he looks also has lost his breathing reflex completely,
if he were alone he would definately die..
i had seen in a compatation 8 person got BO - looks like one

Last edited:
I was looking at the website of Larry King from CNN, and I saw that David Blaine was a guest at his show on May 10th. Here is the transcript:
--------------------

KING: We'll meet Mary in a little while. Let's start first in New York with David Blaine, the internationally famed illusionist and performer of feats and endurance, a "New York Times" best-selling author, been on this program previously. In fact, we once did a kind of feat along with him. First, how are you feeling?

DAVID BLAINE: I feel not so bad. I've had better days but I'm OK. I did get...

KING: Why...

BLAINE: I did get...

KING: Why do you do these things David?

BLAINE: Oh, I love doing them. It's what drives me. It's like, it's just a dream that I had and then I go forward with it no matter how ridiculous it is and achieving the goal is the payoff. But, there are certain things I didn't prepare for.

For example, the sphere was like a magnifying glass. It intensified the sun and radiated my body, so the whole time I was in there, of course, I was not aware of it during the time because I was in water but now my whole -- all of my skin is blistered and painful and it's very difficult to move in any direction, things I didn't prepare for.

KING: How did you do normal bodily functions?

BLAINE: Well, I didn't eat for a week before the stunt, so I didn't have to do -- I had no body waste inside of me so I didn't have to use the bathroom that way. And then as far as the number one, I had a catheter that went into a filtration system. KING: Let's watch the scene when they're pulling you out of the sphere. Let's all watch this and then ask David about what happened. Watch.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Relax. We got you David. You're all right. You're all right.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We're backwards. We're in the sphere.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: OK, David, just relax. We've got you. Come on out. You're OK. You're OK.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

KING: What did you prove? David?

BLAINE: Yes.

KING: What did you prove?

BLAINE: Well, I felt like I failed from achieving my goal which was to hold my breath as long as nine minutes but in retrospect I think the only thing that would mean failure would be to stop doing what I love doing. So, the idea of looking at it as a failure instead of something to keep pushing me to drive myself as far as I can, I think that would be the failure.

KING: The person who has the record of holding their breath, eight minutes and 58 seconds, was that set underwater?

BLAINE: Yes, his name was Tom Zitas (ph). He did it in a swimming pool but, of course, he wasn't submerged for any length of time before he did it.

KING: Is he still around?

BLAINE: He's still around. I heard that he actually thought that it was a really intense moment on television and he really liked it, which was surprising for me to hear.

KING: What of the whole thing was the toughest for you?

BLAINE: The toughest part was dealing with being in that water and falling asleep for less than two hours a night and waking up with the water over my nose and over my mouth like a nightmare. I'd have these awful visions that I was drowning and I'd jump up and I'd still be in water. Then I'd remember to clear the mask up by purging it and then I'd be able to breathe and it was horrific.

And every time I would jump up because I was weightless my muscles were atrophied because I wasn't working them out for a week and I wasn't eating so they were really breaking themselves down. So, I would get sharp shooting pains throughout my whole body. So, I'm suffering now from that pretty seriously. KING: There are naysayers who think that you're going to do this just to lead up to doing it again, to break the record, to increase the audience.

BLAINE: No, I'm not going to do this one again. But in the sphere I did dream up something incredible that I really do want to do but...

KING: What?

BLAINE: I'm not going to say it because I don't want to talk it away but this time there will be no safety involved. It will be from point A to point B. Either you make it or you don't.

KING: Wait a minute, come on. You're not going to get -- you will go from a point to another point, no safety involved.

BLAINE: Right.

KING: In other words you could die?

BLAINE: I'm not going to die because I'm going to prepare and train and be as serious as I can and I'm going to enter with the attitude that I need and I'm not going to, you know, do anything ridiculous. But, I'm going to make it so you have to hit your mark perfectly or else there's no safety net.

KING: How much training for that?

BLAINE: I'm going to start right now and figure out how much time I need to make it perfect and then that will be the amount of time that I have.

KING: Do you have any special after care now? Do the doctors have to look at you?

BLAINE: They keep checking me to make sure I'm OK but I've just figured that if I eat slowly and keep on a somewhat reasonable diet and relax a little bit and do the right thing I'll heal pretty fast. And my hands and feet, which were the worst before, were the fastest things to heal themselves.

KING: What was the hardest part, Mary Cheney thinks she could do a minute, I don't think I could do 20 seconds, what was the hardest part about holding your breath?

BLAINE: The hardest part is when -- well, first of all being in such a weak state not knowing if you're going to reach your mark and knowing that there is that possibility of drowning obviously but the hardest part started to come when I got to like the five minute mark and I knew that I wasn't even, you know, three -- I wasn't even near where I needed to be and it was starting to get tough.

The contractions started coming and it starts to overwhelm your body and you feel like -- you feel like you're about to die and it starts to get more and more horrific by the second but I did not want anybody to jump in and I felt that they did the right thing by jumping in when they did to save life but I was disappointed.

KING: Your trainer, Kirk Krack, said that you were unconscious and convulsing at the end of the stunt, true?

BLAINE: That is true but I also think that I could have gone a little bit further because when they first went jumping in I held my finger up saying "Please, just give me a little bit more time."

KING: So you think you could have done longer?

BLAINE: Not much longer maybe a couple, you know, ten more seconds.

KING: When do you -- you start preparing immediately for this next stunt?

BLAINE: I think I'll try to regenerate all of my muscles and heal as fast as I can and start right away.

KING: How far away is it do you think?

BLAINE: I don't want to say anything yet because I don't want to talk it away but it's the only thing I can think about.

KING: Thank you, David, as always. Good luck. Good health.

BLAINE: Thank you, Larry.

KING: David Blaine out and safe and going to try something else.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT