• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Fazza Freediving Championship Dubai

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yes it was disappointing to learn that the participant who blacked out and was pulled from the water, had oxygen administered by paramedics, taken to the Ambulance, etc was awarded 1st Prize (and a 320K AED Range Rover), but it was NOT an AIDA or an internationally judged/certified event, but one based on their heritage of Pearl Diving, so that’s life!

Hey Jayramble !! .. Thank you mate and fantastic photos ! .. :)

Just to clarify John, our Pearl Diving heritage was based upon safety, if you compare the practices done in Pearl Diving here in the Arabia with the different type of freediving for living (sponges, pearls, food .. etc) in other parts of the world you would understand how important safety was for freedivers here in the Gulf. Fazza3 freediving competition by the way is not following those guidelines (yet!) .. we used to have Khtam (the nose clip), also a rock attached to a rope which the diver will use to go down so he conserve O2 and would keep it down when he goes up and later pulled out through the individual line attached to it, another rope attached to his waist to the surface in the hands of his safety buddy (we call him seeb) this man would pull the diver up upon two cases, normally when the diver will pull onto the rope meaning : "pull me up please I'm done for this time!" , OR in case the diver stays longer than a given period of time that they both know its the safety limit of this particular diver, then the Seeb will pull him out anyway, there were also a full body suit, made of cotton or linen that covers the divers body and protect it from stinging animals such as jellyfish and urchins, and gives little bit of wormth as well.

Those precedures and tools did two things, they lengthen the bottom time (clearly because you don't swim down nor swim up again, similar to the NLT discipline in modern freediving and don't have to fight stings) and also work as a safey standards (as much as the technology would allow them at that time). The freediving is risky by nature, but here in the Gulf our ancestors didn't surrender to that fact or been gamblers, after all our religious system doesn't allow it (to threw yourself into sure or high risk of death).

Now, how do you think of it ? .. isn't it unacceptable for the new generations of those safety wise ancestors to skip safety rules when it comes to freediving (at least) ..? .. :)

Reactions: Kars
TimoP, very very important points .. !

I'll add those on to my presentation if you allow me ? (under your name ofcourse) .. :)

It's all till now a talk from one side of course, we haven't met with the organizers yet (although I had couple of chats over the phone with the responsible and agreed to meet for details) and Fazza3 Competition management and organizers didn't guarantee taking the proposal (they could take parts that they see interesting and valid), but what they guarantee for sure and is final, is that they are going to take all legitimate and sensible ideas and suggestions that concern Safety, and WILL apply it for next year .. :)

I sent an official protest letter by the way, I explained everything in it that supports the idea of refusing a blacked out freediver to win a title out of the BO, including (the most important point IMO) what dangerous message could that send out in the air, the winner (Mr. BO) will just say to the other youths training for next year: " yes, yes, hold on .. more .. more .. yes, black out and you shall come 1st !! ". By saying (the organizers) that next year no more BO is accepted wouldn't stop this irresposible idea from floating around for one more year ! .. changing the results now, disqualifing the BO attempt now and announcing it officially through media (that after reconsideration of safety rules and international regulations of freediving competitions, we decided to do so and advise all enrollees to take good care and strictly follow safety regulations of the sport) would do a BIG positive impact safety-wise on the audience and anyone thinking of participating next year.

Well, let's hope they would consider it, it's too difficult and embarrassing for them to change the already announced results so dramatically like that actually, I know that, but I have to say it out loud and clear my consciousness .. and MAYBE get back my title by the way .. :)

Adolphin, I appreciate your work to do this event even better and especially safer :)
Maybe most important is to get qualified spotters or safety (free)divers to spot every single competitor carefully.
Not so that the audience must shout that somebody is drowning. The safety team must be ready for the situation that there are many competitors having BO in the same time, cause they are in water in the same time, I suppose. So there must be enough extra rescue resource, too.

The another important thing is a flat rescue platform with easy access, so ladders or stairs from water to the platform and from the platform to the quay. If they want that competitors must jump from the quay into the water, that's ok (it's a part of the game, I think), but maybe competitors can use that platform when coming back on to the quay...because they may have LMC (samba) or they may be very tired.

This is something to start, I think. Of course, adolphin, you can give this information forward, not my name needed, just tell them you have discussed about this safety issue with international freedivers and you have got this kind of suggestions.

More suggestions are welcomed. This was only what come first into my mind. Maybe it's better not to make too many suggestions in the same paper...just to be sure the essential things will be done next time. But you, adophin, know the situation there and know what they can manage.

Last edited:
Two years ago I sat with them and went throught the AIDA competition rules. Their reply was "this is our tradition, it comes from the pearl diving".
(They are saying its BASED on the pearl diving, not the exact methods)

I spoke with Khalid extensively after you left on Saturday. He has agreed to sit down and look at my proposals including a ladies section :D

Bill S wants me to set up an official AIDA comp here this year anyway. I might leave Fazza3 to do their thing and participate according to their rules, and set up an AIDA one with proper rules, as an example. Emirates Diving Association are already keen to assist.

Have a great weekend everyone! All eyes on the Vertical Blue :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Hi Sara!

You know that BASED on is a very flexible word, there is nothing in Arabia pearl diving that is different than other freediving traditional forms other than the pearls and the methods of diving, since there is no pearl to dive for in Fazza3 comp, then what remains I guess is the method .. :)

Maybe two years ago you were suggesting that the breath hold is done on the surface, or with suit on etc, then yes, it's not the traditional way anymore, but the nose clip, the weights, the safety buddy .. etc, those all are core of pearl freediving heritage, and further more and even more important, the sense of safety among all others. I know you might have asked them about the nose clip then (I did myself) and they refused, also the weights, but this is not because it's against the traditional pearl diving methods, it's because they wanted it this way, maybe for more excitement, making it more challenging and so on, but safety-wise, it's better nose clip on (for if a BO occurs and don't get reacted to fast enough then a buffer would be there).

Now the Ladies section is not part of the tradition here for sure (it was all men traditionally) .. it would be part of the Japanese Ama tradition, but then you might need to accept going topless (at least) .. :D .. OK, enough kidding .. I believe as long as ladies are allowed to the Fazza3 competition then a Ladies section is the natural thing (it's the same all around the world, including freediving).

Sure, you should be doing the official AIDA competition, because Fazza3 comp is another thing. I'm looking forward to the AIDA one indeed .. :)

Thank you Timo, Sara is doing an excellent job too (as always).

Yes, the safety diver is most important, the thing Timp is that there is a separate safety SCUBA diver for each freediver as of now, following the freediver from the time he/she gets into the water untill going out, BUT those safety divers apparently are not trained to deal specificly with freediving accidents, they for example don't know that a freediver must be watched for at least 30 seconds after surfacing because there is still a chance of a late BO or Samba !! .. this is exactely the reason for the accedent Sara mentioned earlier, the safety diver simply turned his back to the freediver as soon as he surfaced thinking that this is enough of supervision. I think also (not sure because I didn't ask the safety divers) that they are not trained for waking up a BO or Samba freediver, they wouldn't blow on his face and ask him to breath. So they need a specialized training for the exact purpose of the competition, also they need to know how important the time is and so to stick to procedures at ALL time.

Thanks again for all suggestions and contributions .. :)

Bugger all the sexism. Female freedivers rock just as much as the men.

If there are men in this country who can't handle that, they should give up freediving and go and play chess.

:wave
Posted via Mobile Device

What's wrong with being different? Maybe base problem is the -taught- lesser appreciation of the other? - divide and conquer.

Next up are the 'genetically inferior'.

Not so long ago people used to respect and appreciate each other because of their humanity and quality of character.

getting back on topic..

Interesting to read that the organisation is now willing to listen to the pro freediver's advice. I think it's not only because of the BO incident, but also due to many freedivers urging the organisers.

How much is $ 5000 UE in Euro's?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

What's wrong with being different? Maybe base problem is the -taught- lesser appreciation of the other? - divide and conquer.

Next up are the 'genetically inferior'.

Not so long ago people used to respect and appreciate each other because of their humanity and quality of character.

getting back on topic..

Interesting to read that the organisation is now willing to listen to the pro freediver's advice. I think it's not only because of the BO incident, but also due to many freedivers urging the organisers.

How much is $ 5000 UE in Euro's?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Hi Kars
its the genetically inferior non pearl diver here :D

According to XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site, 5000 AED = 1,026.03 EUR, as of today. Not to be snuffed at. Needless to say it goes straight into my ever flexible credit card. Living in the UAE is none short of expensive, I can tell you that for nothing. Although admittedly, we may not be able to live this same lifestyle in Australia or elsewhere, unless we could afford all the fringe benefits you get here.

Back to the topic, whether ladies dived traditionally for pearls in the UAE or not, or whether women freedived traditionally in the UAE or not, NOW THEY DO, and there were lots of surprised faces when I first entered the comp two years ago. This year, at least six local guys took my business card asking for lessons, which I think is fantastic! When i move back to Dubai in August I will make sure that the guys get a training session at least twice a week and hopefully seem some amazing results at next year's comp. I think there are plenty of guys with potential here that just needs unleasing... in terms of static and in depth...

How times change, and so quickly :)

Maybe it would be cool to venture out to the local pearl, sponge and other divers, and share some experiences and idea's? I bet many have not yet heard of the yearly competition in Dubai. And I think your skills will open doors and even potentially safe some divers with the proper safety techniques and routines. Have a journalist go along, and or youself can sell the story to cover your expenses, while in the mean time build up your local reputation establishing new relations.
It's nice to hear you're influence is already very noticeable!

Instead of hoping things to change - for the better - I rather be active and work towards it!

All the best,

Kars

*ps what's the UAE's word for mermaid?

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT