• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Freediving Competition in Dubai 1 February 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
A Freediving competition is going to be held in Dubai from 1-3 February. The organiser of the event has informed me that participants have to pull themselves down a rope, remain at 2-3 metres depth and hold their breath, while still holding on the rop...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

"the organiser feels that a static apnea as done according to AIDA regulations is dangerous, and it is much safer and easier to monitor participants at depth, using scuba divers below the surface." (from the news item)

Sounds very peculiar to me. Where did you get this info? Has the orginizer detailed why this should be safer? Are there any people experienced with competitve freediving involved in this? I'm thinking it will only increase the chance of getting water into a blackoutee's lungs. Also every BO will end up being more hypoxic once the diver will be brought to surface (BO at ppO2 of 1.2-1.3, being treated at the surface with ppO2 of 1.0). You can't really force a diver to breath while his/her head is still submerged even if you shove a regulator into his/her mouth and purge (not to mention the increased chance of getting water inside).

Last edited:
A Land Rover prize????? Dammit BA have cheap flights to Dubai this weekend, I coulda gone! (going to Lisbon instead).

Oh well..... good luck Sara!

Sounds like the reporter got all his facts mixed up. I bet that once the real rules are seen it will make more sense.

Well Nadim (Nesim's brother), Bruce (bmc), myself made it to the final! rofl

The way they are doing it is a traditional way which comes from the pearl divers, however, the pearl divers did wear goggles and a weight.. today it was no mask, no nose clip, no wetsuit or any kind of neoprene, no weights, the water is 20deg, (cold for us Dubai-ers) and you pull yourself down the rope and stay there, with a scuba diver watching you (his bubbles were a bit off putting). 10 people in at a time, you entered off a floating jetty and swam over to a big red buoy, did your breath up and then went down. The calculate the time from when your whole body is under water until you surface.

I can usually do a 4 - 4,5 min breathhold (static) but today, what with being upside and my nose and sinuses flooded with salt water rofl i could only do 1,44, Nadim 3,09 (and he was doing 4,5mins just an hour before wearing his wetsuit and mask) and Bruce at 1.47.
so we are all relaxing tonight and hopefully doing better tomorrow!

1st prize - Range Rover
2nd prize - 20000 AED
3rd prize - 15000 AED

3,65 AED = 1 USD

Deeperblue RULES rofl

Last edited:
In the finals with 1,44 and first price a Range Rover. Why these kind of competitions are not her in Europe :head.

Relax and win the Range Rover!!

rofl rofl
it was awful though - i might try nadim's techique of crouching down at the bottom of the rope with my head facing upward next time. My nose is still pouring out salt water and that was two hours ago :(

Can't you pull yourself down the rope feet first?

You go girl :)

yeah i suppose i could try that. its not easy, its only 2m deep, you cant see for toffee and its cold - no mask and water just in your nose :( even Nadim battled and he is a pro in the water! I had some scuba diver with a big camera (i think it's Omani TV rofl) right in my face too and i got all embarrassed :eek:

Reactions: podge
yeah i suppose i could try that. its not easy, its only 2m deep, you cant see for toffee and its cold - no mask and water just in your nose :( even Nadim battled and he is a pro in the water! I had some scuba diver with a big camera (i think it's Omani TV rofl) right in my face too and i got all embarrassed :eek:

Shut yr eyes and think of something nice rofl :inlove

D x

Shut yr eyes and think of something nice
For example the Range Rover

Unbelievable prizes! If you told it yesterday, I'd jump to the airport, buy a one-way ticket for premium price, and come back in Range Rover :D

Congrats anyway! If I understood well, you are sure now to win at least the 15000 AED (~$4100)! Great deal! Hope there will be a huge party :)

well.. i have to beat 2.5mins in order to POSSIBLY win third prize :D i doubt it, you are allowed to hold your nose but it's not exactly relaxing though. it would be nice just to wear one tiny nose clip even, but it's not allowed.

There were no blackouts. Most guys did under one minute and burst to the surface panting. (maybe thinking about podge and spaniard in uniforms rofl )

oh, and by the way...

I was the only woman entering the contest today. You should have seen the looks on people's faces, "what the hell is a WOMAN doing here??" rofl

If you have a body of water to practice in before the final, perhaps that would help? Try to get yourself down while remaining vertical and head-up to minimize nose flooding, and if needed, gently hold your nose. In fact, try to copy both the posture and the attitude of that mermaid in your avatar. :)

will try get there an hour early tomorrow, only thing is the wind is cold and so is the water :(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT