• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Freediving Competition in Dubai 1 February 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Take a look in the Wisconsin, Freeze-a-pa-looza threads for a look at what real cold is like. And while you're actually doing it, just keep telling yourself you won't be cold for very long, and that you can warm yourself up afterwards with your new truck's heater. :) And if that doesn't work, imagine the looks on the faces of the competition when you win. :)

Good luck,
Go get that prize! As soon as you are in position just close your eyes and relax -let everything go. Remember you can probably ride your contractions for a couple of minutes. So 2 min plus 2 min contractions = Range Rover rofl

Do not train too long before the attempt. If the water is too cold for you, you may try the finding the right postion just once or twice at the beginning, and then calming you down and preparing for the max dry. Also be sure to check some of the many threads here speking about max static preparation - for example this one: http://forums.deeperblue.net/static-dynamic/68241-preparation-before-statics.html

Wishing you good luck and a lot of fun with your new Range Rover! :friday

An FRC static might be the way to go. It could get you 4 minutes with little problems of buoyancy....

So who won the Range Rover ?

Not bad prices at all, but hopefully we know about this comp lill sooner so we all can take a shot at the first price, next time.

Good luck to you Sands !

Hmm, Sara did not post anything yet today!? It looks like she won the Range Rover, forgot her friends at DB completely, and went for a ride with the Crown Prince of Dubai, or celebrates too heavily to be able posting the results! :friday

Hmm, Sara did not post anything yet today!? It looks like she won the Range Rover, forgot her friends at DB completely, and went for a ride with the Crown Prince of Dubai, or celebrates too heavily to be able posting the results! :friday

As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

:ko :friday

ok!!!!

here we are!!

1st prize - Nadim :friday 3.365
2nd prize - Ihmied (Nadim beat him by 2 seconds!) 3.345
3rd prize - Bruce 2.57
4th prize - island_sands! 2.33 rofl (consolation prize yet to be confirmed, they said they would call me.)

also, i was the only female participant! The guy next to me (local) was a little peeved that i beat him rofl

Here are a few pictures, see the conditions we had to breathe up in, it was freezing and very surgy, the tide went out so the rope was very slack, lots to deal with. you are right Adrian, i could have ridden my contractions out a while longer, but still haven't got over that fear of SWB, (one guy blacked out) - i am hoping with Emma's training I can get over that sense of "responsibility" if you like, and push myself further :)

Photos to follow just now...

Last edited:
These are pictures from yesterday, Day 1.

There were about 50 participants, 1 person to each buoy (10 buoys).

Attachments

• divingjetty.jpg
    divingjetty.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 188
  • divascar.jpg
    divascar.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 177
  • nadim.jpg
    nadim.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 188
  • receivinginstructions.jpg
    receivinginstructions.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 205
  • rescuediver.jpg
    rescuediver.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: saver
and a couple more...

Attachments

• saraapprehension.jpg
    saraapprehension.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 181
  • nadimbreathup1stday.jpg
    nadimbreathup1stday.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 172
  • ohshitwhatamidoing.jpg
    ohshitwhatamidoing.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
And some from today, the final!

Attachments

• saranadimprep.jpg
    saranadimprep.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 174
  • sarabreatheup2.jpg
    sarabreatheup2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 189
  • sarabreatheup.jpg
    sarabreatheup.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 172
  • seconddayweather.jpg
    seconddayweather.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 167
  • bringingparticipantstojetty.jpg
    bringingparticipantstojetty.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 169
and more.... when nadim and i finished it stopped raining!

Attachments

• bruceprep.jpg
    bruceprep.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 165
  • nadimcommence.jpg
    nadimcommence.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 167
  • nadimascent.jpg
    nadimascent.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 174
  • bmcprep.jpg
    bmcprep.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 163
  • musclesfrombrussels.jpg
    musclesfrombrussels.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 172
and the winners.,..... well done guys!!!

The classic was, the TV interviewer asked Nadim "how long did you train for this?"
his answer
"23 years" rofl

True as, Nadim is a fantastic spearo and is very competent, dives and hunts at 30metres and has a 4.5 minute breathhold at depth - just to give you an idea how much things change when they take all our toys away (mask, fins, nose clip, wetsuit and weights....) - even the best guys struggled. So good effort was made by all.:thankyou :thankyou

Attachments

• judgesdecisions.jpg
    judgesdecisions.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 168
  • thewinners.jpg
    thewinners.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 200
  • thetrophies.jpg
    thetrophies.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Reactions: Donna
Sounds like you all had a lot of fun; hope your mate enjoys his Rangey.
Shame it was raining I bet if you knew you were going to get wet you wouldn’t have gone. rofl

Sounds like you all had a lot of fun; hope your mate enjoys his Rangey.
Shame it was raining I bet if you knew you were going to get wet you wouldn’t have gone. rofl

ah! we had a deal though... he is selling it discounted brand new and i get a small cut ;)

Reactions: Adrian
I liked your modest swimsuit! :D I'm sure you must have pissed off several of the contestants just for being there. I guess part of the difficulty would also have been timing your series of breathups to the point of being ready ust when it was your turn, or did they give a time with at least half an hour warning?

Congratulations to all of you. Note that since women have smaller lungs your time was probably porportionally "longer" than maybe even the second or first place times. It would be fun to have a formula to equate mens and womens results in terms of effort, and to assign handicaps to level the playing field. But in any case, it was a great effort in difficult conditions.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT