• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

News from Canada

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Observer,

I don't think it was anything Sam did that caused this. It seemed, at the time, very funny to most (I say most because I'm sure there were a couple who wanted to save the bear at the party) and i'm sure large amounts of liquor and typical "herd"/Frat Boy mentality took over.

I have my fair share of blame for the event and after Sam actually started talking to me again on Friday she blames me for the whole incident (which I can understand).

I accept I played a part by suggesting the flaming base jump at the beginning of the competition however the idea seemed to take on a life of it's own and the assembled crowd certainly took on the form of a wild-west lynch mob in very rapid order...(particularly around the "Burn The Bear" chanting and the 99% alcohol, lighter and rope appearing from seemingly nowhere)...and the number of people on the balcony helping to soak the bear in alcohol and then light him surprised me.

Saying all that, Sam has several more bears and I ensured, before the crowd got the bear, that he was stripped of all it's accessories to be given back to Sam for the next bear.

The bear will live again but I do understand that the remains of the original bear have now been laid to rest in deep water outside Vancouver.

Long Live the Bear!

I think the individual can not be blamed here. Instead we must look to the source of this bad seed. This is a product of society, its dependence on TV, introduction of violence in video games, and the deployment of fast food restaurants internationally. Deepest Bear's unfortunate and disgraceful demise has been excited by the diminishing attention we have for the young people of our world today and instead our reliance on the cyber world to fill in this void.

Clear as mud?

:D

Reactions: DeepThought
Thank you for the kind words!

as you may have guessed, I was singularly unamused by the event. Heartbroken even.. but I was also very hungover and tired when I found the charred remains outside my door on Friday morning....

Tanya called me yesterday and explained much of the terrible events of that night. It seems I need to wreak revenge on at least one member of my own team.. gee thanks thats a really nice way to thank your captain for all her hard work!

Anyhow I do wish to say a big thank you to Peter Longfins, Michael Antinori, Brent Pascall and Tyler who I understand were at least making attempts to save the little guy.

And no there are not several bears.... that little chap was the one who had made all the records...

but plans are afoot and he will rise again. And this time he will be fire retardant.

Sam (just about stopped crying now)
x

Last edited:
I was pretty bummed out when I read this thread. I don't think that having fun at someone's expense is decent and humane behaviour. Democratically voting on something that isn't yours and then destroying it is something that our political leaders are doing every day - not a good example to follow.

So I suggest, just a suggestion ...actually a little challenge...that everyone who was directly involved take one of their favorite pieces of gear and either donate it to Sam for her to do what she want's with it, such as create a pool of gear for Saltfree or burn it as a sign of sincere aplology. At least that way one would feel what Sam did.

Just a Salomonic suggestion.

Adrian

Reactions: samdive
Originally posted by Adrian
I don't think that having fun at someone's expense is decent and humane behaviour.

I agree. I am deeply disappointed that something like that could happen at a freediving event. There is nothing funny about destroying something that meant a lot to many people.

I am particularly upset by this after the incident I described on the thread "Have you experienced a Shallow Water Blackout?". That was thought to be funny at the time, with no regard for my feelings. Although this was obviously a very different type of incident, it really scares me when people get carried away and stop thinking about the distress they are causing.

Hopefully this kind of thing will never happen again.

Lucia

Sam,

Sorry, but I wasn't there to try to rescue DB. Believe you me things might have turned out a little different had I been around.

However, I did see to it he got a proper sendoff.

Peter S.

"There is nothing funny about destroying something that meant a lot to many people. "

Thanks Lucia! Glad its not just me!!

Reactions: JMD
When Hades took the life of the deepest bear, the bear was immortalized.

Much like a painter, whose work is meaningless and unknown, until years after his death, when he becomes a dead legend.

Likewise, in a few short years, the story of the deepest bear will be told around campfires and diving floats around the world.

Rumours will turn to legends, legends will turn into myths. People will speculate that there really was a bear who could dive. We know polar bears can swim hundreds of miles in cold water. We know that bears hibernate and slow their breathing to one breath every few minutes.

These facts will become entangled with the myth of the bear, and he who was once nothing but a stuffed toy may become the most famous freediving legend to ever live.

And none of this would have ever happened if Hades had not taken the life of the bear.

As Bruce Lee said in Game of Death: 'It is better to die a broken piece of jade, than to live a life of clay.'

So show a little bit of respect and thank Hades for his kindness.

The bear wanted to be famous, and so Hades granted him his wish. By killing the bear at the peak of his fame, Hades knew that the bear would be immortalized. And he was correct.

Plain and simple.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: roy_nexus_6
Originally posted by samdive
"There is nothing funny about destroying something that meant a lot to many people. "

Thanks Lucia! Glad its not just me!!

It's not just you Sam. I've been a fan of Deepest Bear since I started freediving, although it was awhile before I found his guestbook and signed in. He was a mascot of freediving that was loved and appreciated.

I for one (and I hope many others) will miss the World's Deepest Bear. Thanks for making him what he was Sam. I can assure you that the flippant and uncaring attitude that seems to permeate the posts of those responsible is not the sentiment of the entire freediving community. I'm shocked and not a little dismayed. Hopefully what I see is an error in perception on my part.

You have my sympathies,
Aaron

Maybe the resurrected bear will become bionic - the 6 million dollar bear? Lost on all you youngsters...

On a different subject, are there any photos around of the last night in Vancouver? I was thinking more of the award ceremony rather than the lynching.

Like Aaron I thought Deepest Bear was a great and sweet idea. Many of those who have not lived in the UK, where I spent the first five years of my life don't understand the significance of a teddy bear in one's life. After 50 years I still have mine! It's decorating my mother's dresser with necklaces on it's neck. When I asked my father how I got my teddy bear he said that while he was walking on the street one day a man came running up holding it on high and shouting "Teddy bear for Master Adrian!" I totally belived him.

Adrian

Reactions: DeepThought
Originally posted by Adrian
Democratically voting on something that isn't yours and then destroying it is something that our political leaders are doing every day - not a good example to follow.
Word!

...that everyone who was directly involved take one of their favorite pieces of gear and either donate it to Sam for her to do what she want's with it, such as create a pool of gear for Saltfree or burn it...
Blasphemy!! Like there aren't enough deadly vapours in our air.... and like there's too much freediving gear laying around this planet...
Donate it, yeah whatever, but nothing good can come out from burning more objects IMO.

Folks,

Just wanted to let you know that DeeperBlue.net will be starting to sell the official Worlds DVD and DeeperBlue.net Photo CD within the next few days.

The Worlds DVD is being created by Goh Iromoto and features footage from the whole competition. Snippets can be seen at http://www.aidaworlds2004.com/video.html

The Photo CD will feature over 2000 photos (the final number has yet to be finalised) from the competition and features images by Tim Calver, Rebecca Garrett, Gareth Powell and Stephan Whelan. A sample of the images can be seen on the official DeeperBlue.net Gallery at http://gallery.deeperblue.net/index.php?cat=549

Both are ideal gifts or souvenirs of your time at the Worlds.

Stay tuned for more details here on DeeperBlue.net in the next few days!

Last edited:
yeah don't burn your kit send it to me...

we need..

a sled (Tanya?)

Suits to fit all sizes

fins

masks

monofins

weights

boats

scooters

ropes

carabiners

drybags

money

the works...

just drop me an email and I'll send you the address - don't want to publish it here in case someone comes around to burn down my house

Sam:p

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Great news,

Can't wait to order the CD....hopefully the pictures will have a slightly higher resolution then the ones on the website.

Greetz Pim

Pim,

The aim of the CD is that you'll be able to make a 4 x 6 print of any pictures you want. So, yes, you will find them higher resolution than the ones on the Gallery :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT