• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] James Cameron's "The Dive"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeeperBlue.com

DeeperBlue.com Editorial
Apr 7, 2006
In an interview just after the release of his new film "Avatar", James Cameron has discussed with reporters the possible release of a new film "The Dive". The Dive is a story based on controversial freediver Pipin Ferreras and his late French ...

This is an news discussion thread for discussing the following DeeperBlue.net News item:

Click here for original DeeperBlue.net News Item...

fantastic news...it will be an amazing experience in 3d and coming from james cameron you can't be dissapointed.... cant wait!!

Well, either this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dive-Story-Love-Obsession/dp/0060779527/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263341173&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Dive: A Story of Love and Obsession (9780060779528): Pipin Ferreras: Books[/ame]

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Dive: A Story of Love and Obsession

or this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Last-Attempt-Carlos-Serra/dp/1425738397/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t]Amazon.com: The Last Attempt (9781425738396): Carlos Serra: Books[/ame]

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Last Attempt

Exactly,

but it say's "love story"... I just wonder, if there was no love between them how can it be "love story". That would indicate Pipin's influence, on the other side, love is complicated and maybe there was, in the beginning.

I wish it was based on Carlos Serra book, otherwise I think I'd rather see "Avatar" again

Well, Serra would indicate a strong love from at least the side of Audrey. Cameron could go for that, he has a thing for strong women (Titanic, Abyss, what ever). But I fear the worst.

i understand what you guys mean now... (thanks)... i do have the book ''the dive' and it felt real... he did not deny being a little jelous of her wife sucess... but hey aren't we all humans?..mistakes were made but not murder.. just my opinion.

oh by the way i look forward to buy serra's book... so i can compare both.

thanks for your comments.

I've read both books and I hope Cameron follows Serra's lead. Apparently, according to this site James Cameron Directing The Dive | MovieWeb, a woman named Laeta Kalogridis is actually writing "The Dive."

It would be nice if Mr. Cameron could see this thread. :wave

I wonder if Pipin has any say in the movie.

i'm pretty sure cameron purchased the rights to "the dive" not Serra book. so that would say to me it will be based around Pippins book.

as far as a movie for the sport is concerned i think that pippins book will suit the mianstream much better. given i dont think it is 100% truth it will make for a more positive story than the Serra (more accurate i think)version.

this movie shouldnt be about condemming a man (guilty or not) but about the journy of a couple brought together by freediving, showing freediving in a such a way as to demonstrate how incredible our sport is.

i'd probably be happier if the names were changed as i'm not keen on Pippins name being brought up anymore than it absalutly has to, many of his dives and beliefs were risky at best and i would prefer that this part of our history is left behind for the more remarkable memories and achiebvements of so many of our felow divers.

just my opinion,i wouldnt want to take my family or friends to a movie about a crazest freediver who plots to kill his wive during a record attempt due to jealousy! but a movie with great underwater sequences and a positive outlook on our sport as a sport to bring people together i would much rather pay money to see.

DD

I agree with DD.

Do we expect a documentary or a film?

Last edited:
Agree with Dane, and Kars this will be a film as any semblance to serras would be a documentary and not have mass appeal. Hope the names are changed as well.

This film is based on Pipin's book "The Dive". James Cameron purchased the rights to the book and has been doing some exploratory pre-production meetings and dives with Pipin.

This will be Hollywood's interpretation of events and since Pipin is likely heavily involved it will also spin a very positive light on what happened and his involvement.

Don't forget that this is still pre-production stage - the movie still may or may not be made and leads/actors can change.

Whilst i'd have preferred a different story to portray the sport but to have such a large director attached to the story and it does have significant love elements to it so will help drive people to the sport.

If the film goes ahead it will be interesting to see who plays the leading roles. And even more interesting to discover who'll be doing the dive stunts supposing there are plenty of these.

This flick has been under its way for almost seven years by now, so I seriously doubt that it will ever be completed..

Personally I would welcome even the most glorified 'Hollywood' interpretation. Even if wildly tampering facts, it will still be an awesome movie!

- btw: Is Salma Hayek still aboard?

No discrespect intended - but I was just wondering why are so many freedivers interested in massive broad and superficial promotion of this sport and atracting a lot of new people to freediving.... :confused: Miha

Indeed Miha, do we need a broad mindless following?

Personally I prefer the interested rather than the "followers".

Luckily this is not an easy sport so that filters out the "wannabes" the non thinking thrill seekers. I think this is positive, because stupid people tend to make ditto mistakes and seek to blame the world rather than looking with honesty in the mirror for the responsible.

Anyway I would like to see Cameron pulling off a decent deep(er) film, one that he actually wants to make, rather than make another popular programming shallow pulp. (to put some oil on some fires; I do refer here to Avatar and the like)

Last edited:
Anyway I would like to see Cameron pulling off a decent deep(er) film, one that he actually wants to make, rather than make another popular programming shallow pulp. (to put some oil on some fires; I do refer here to Avatar and the like)

Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT