• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New Pipin-Mestre Book Released

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that, Sam...

I placed an order just to test it on February 1 and received the book, along with another one I ordered, on February 6. And since the order was over $25 they waved the $4.98 charges for shipping thanks to some special they had (within the U.S. that is).

That's why I recommended amazon but I will look into and see if there is a better-faster way.

Given all the input from very knowlegeable people I think I'll check this one out after all.

I got the book yesterday - it took just over 3 weeks - so not too bad

Suffering from insomnia at the moment and that book didn't help! I was reading most of the night and have already almost finished.

Nothing shocking as I knew a few people close to it at the time and heard it direct - but it does make an "interesting" contrast to the book Pipin "wrote"

One thing I just don't get is why, at the time
a) Audrey didn't check her own tank, I know I would!
b) why there wasn't more than one way of getting her back up (no, I don't mean hand to hand by scuba divers, I mean by a life vest, second lift bag, proper FHOF type system, counterballast or the numerous other methods used by most if not all other NL divers)

In the book, so far, no one seems to ask these questions

Last edited:
Valid questions, Sam… but Audrey never checked her own tank. She had placed her trust, entirely, on Pipin, who was, at all times, in absolute control of the operational aspects of the event. To check the tank on her own would have awakened Pipin’s rage and that's something Audrey kept avoiding. Believe me on that one. Besides, no one would have expected to find that tank not being filled... much less Audrey!

As you already read on the book, three people had either asked about it or attempted to fill the pony tank… those people are Tata (who asked Pipin in front of me if the tank was filled), Wiky (who brought the supply-tank to fill the pony on the sled but was stopped adamantly by Pipin) and Matt Briseno (who wanted to have it filled but was stopped, as well).

Meanwhile, Pipin had over an hour to fill it on the spot while we were all on shore, and filling the tank was a very simple but extremely essential task. As I mention in the book, a nurse don’t ask a doctor if he washed his hands before operating. We all assumed he had done that long ago, especially after having said that the tank was "already taken care of".

And why not have some kind of retrieval system? That’s something that (the same as having more divers) Pipin refused. I had proposed to look into the system used by AIDA and just mentioning our back-then rival organization, created a very uncomfortable situation with him. Therefore, Pipin refused to have any system, whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad
Just finished reading the book. I read it in one breath just like I did "The Dive" in 2004. Back then I did not know much about this case, and after reading this book I still do not have the feeling that I know all. Only thing that I know is that now I am feeling even more sorry for Audrey, who took the ultimate sacrifice in this cruel world trying to find her freedom.

Yes this book sure does make for some interesting reading. What a sad situation when someone so talented is lost in such a easily avoidable way. It just should not have happened.
Good work Carlos. Not bad writing for a non-native speaker of English.

What is Pipin doing these days? Surely his name is dirt in the freediving world?

Thank you, Shoutattesky, for the comment about my English. A lot of work, though. Thank you also for reading the book. In the end, that’s what I’m looking for… that people get to read what truly happened to Audrey.

And Vlado, you are right about Audrey; she suffered a great deal and she found only one way out. Something for which I do feel bad (besides Audrey's passing) is that I failed to hear the shriek for help that kept coming right out of her soul. There is a passage in the book in which I mention the conversation Audrey and I had moments before her attempt, and when I saw her sobbing I should had tried to stop the event. Knowing Pipin that would have been an impossible but I didn’t even try; I admit. She shouldn’t have descended in that melancholic state of mind. She was suffering a great deal for things that I don’t even mention in the book. But perhaps, one day, if this whole situation ends up in court (as I hope) it may come to light. For Audrey's memory, however, I wish for certain things to remain in the dark.

Reactions: island_sands
I think the last book I read was about Dick and Jane, some dog and a ball...Everything I read these days is over the net but I'd be pretty interested to read this one.

Thank you all for reading the book. This project was done with the solely idea of bringing the truth out; I believe Audrey deserves that much. Anything else is a matter of personal interpretation, but bashing Pipin is not an objective I pursue. Everything in The Last Attempt is factual and everything Pipin did, good or bad, he did it to himself. I'm just stating facts that are undeniable.

Audrey's death affected me deeply, in many ways. My life changed that awful day and one way to heal my own wounds was by honoring Audrey with the truth; painful, yes... controversial, perhaps... but the truth, nevertheless.

Besides that, I would like to suggest trying to get the book through the major online-bookstores like amazon.com or its affiliates in Europe to lower the cost of shipping. Don't try buying through the publisher ever since it is quite a stiff what they charge.

And Paul, I'm still waiting for that lunch :)

Carlos Serra
THE LAST ATTEMPT BOOK

Hi Carlos, I am in the states just till the weekend and then back to Jamaica...I would LOVE to read this but ordering online now means it will show up in Jamiaca about a month from the time I order it....Is there anywhere in Miami to walk in and buy a copy?

Sorry about that, Sam...

I placed an order just to test it on February 1 and received the book, along with another one I ordered, on February 6. And since the order was over $25 they waved the $4.98 charges for shipping thanks to some special they had (within the U.S. that is).

That's why I recommended amazon but I will look into and see if there is a better-faster way.

I've ordered several copies from Amazon. Some were drop-shipped, others shipped to me. All orders were completed timely and to my complete satisfaction.

I've placed hundreds of orders with Amazon over the years. In the few cases where something went wrong, Amazon's customer service handled it promptly and without making demands on me.

I´ve ordered my copy from Amazon - it worked just fine.

The books makes you wonder if the announced movie would be such a good idea.

best regards
Holger

Hi Carlos, I am in the states just till the weekend and then back to Jamaica...I would LOVE to read this but ordering online now means it will show up in Jamiaca about a month from the time I order it....Is there anywhere in Miami to walk in and buy a copy?
Yes David, although you can order it in any bookstore and they would get it for you for pick-up, you can get the copy from me if you wish. My email address is carlosserra@bellsouth.net So just send me a note and then we coordinate a meeting place. Deal?

Good work Carlos. This book is really worth it. One thing is sad though, even this book is still 80% Pipin and 20% (or even less) Audrey.

Thank you, dude, for your kind words. About the 80/20 equation, there is a simple fact, I started the book with the event itself, and sadly, Audrey died within days. And as a matter of fact, the book is about the aftermath and the subsequent investigation, and the main character to be investigated and scrutinized was Pipin (for obvious reasons). So in reality, the book is not 80% about Pipin but rather 100% about what actually happened to Audrey, and there is no way around that one; Pipin would be the epicenter of it. Nevertheless, dude, I understand your perception but I hope this clarifies it.

Carlos, I did not intent to critisize your book with the 80/20 equation. Just as you explained, the book is about the accident and its really good in describing it.

It seems to me that Audrey was an even better freediver than Pipin, but it has been generaly written much less about her. Would be nice to see a book, or even better a movie about her and her story. Maybe a topic for the next book?

You’re right, dude… Audrey was a great apneist and far better than Pipin. But I must also admit that she learned everything from him. He knows a lot about the “tricks” of the trade. However, I don’t consider Pipin to be an equal to the truly greatest like Pelizzari, from the “old school” and Carlos Coste from the “new school”, just to mention two names (and yes, it’s unfair to leave so many other great apneists out). Pipin’s capacity to hold his breath is one of the shortest I’ve seen in pros and that’s why he never accepted Pelizzari’s challenge to an “All Categories” match. And yes, I hope one day, a movie based on Audrey will be made. Let’s hope for Cameron to honor Audrey with the truth if his movie ever gets made.

Carlos - You wrote in your book about Audrey mentioning her ideal choice of actor to play her if a movie of her life was ever made. I compared some pictures of the two and the similarities in appearance and quite astounding.

Attachments

• Natasha McElhone.jpg
    Natasha McElhone.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 177
  • audrey_mestre.jpg
    audrey_mestre.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 215
I've finished reading the book just few days ago. I'm still astonished from what I've read.

I have never looked at Pipin as a freediving hero but he is notwithstanding part of the history of this discipline.
I have always thought he had not been, in his sport career, "very keen" in arranging safety measures neither for him nor for his scuba divers but this book goes far beyond that point.

I can still remember Pipin's words and his eyes filled with tears while talking about Audrey inside an Italian television special, about freediving and Audrey's death, called "Sfide - I confini del mare" ("Challenges - Sea's limits").
Rai Click
There is a great and sad clash between those images and words and what Carlos Serra writes in his book about Pipin's evil personality.

I do not know where the truth is but the clear analysis of facts done by Carlos in his book makes a lot of sense. This book is really worth it.

I have two questions for Carlos:
-can you please tell us more about the US tv special (HBO'real sports with Bryant Gumbel) in which Pipin admitted that he had not filled up the pony tank?
-Has Pipin undertook any legal actions against you and your book?

Thanks

Ciao.

Max

I have two questions for Carlos:
-can you please tell us more about the US tv special (HBO'real sports with Bryant Gumbel) in which Pipin admitted that he had not filled up the pony tank?
-Has Pipin undertook any legal actions against you and your book?
Good questions. I wondered about the second one two. I'd add another two questions for Carlos:
  • Is Pipin involved in the turning of the Cameron's movie "The Dive" (to be released in 2008). As far as I understood the movie is based on Pipin's book (but I may be wrong), so I'd expect Cameron invited him as a consultant, or at least interviewed him.
  • I'd be also interested if Cameron invited you for consultancy, or if he spoke to others who were present at the accident or were well familiar with both Pipin and Audrey. Did you consider contacting him or sending him your book, so that he has the chance to know about a different look on the story?

Last edited:
[I can still remember Pipin's words and his eyes filled with tears while talking about Audrey inside an Italian television special, about freediving and Audrey's death, called "Sfide - I confini del mare" ("Challenges - Sea's limits").
Rai Click

Cool link ! do you know if it's possible to download it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT