• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] New Pipin-Mestre Book Released

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We shod never forget what happened to her. And again tank you for posting the link .

I've watched the video and I can't really understand what happened. There are so many unknowns in this incident.
We do know two things - That Audrey's death was avoidable, and that there were mistakes made by her team that led to her death. Whether one person is more responsible than any other is not a question I am qualified to answer.
More than anything the Freediving community deserves to know as much as possible in order to improve our safety procedures. May those that know speak out. Thanks Carlos for starting the process.

Jorg thanks for the link i wondered about watching it the same as you wondered about posting it. I have read Pipins book and have serras on order. I am an ill informed by stander in all of this and regardless of what I believe happened what difference will it make?
But it has to be one of the most talked about topics in freediving and since this has happened i am sure safety on NL dives has been stepped up. I know this may have always been the case in some areas but Audreys death has surely made others look harder at their own safety in all disciplines but maybe specially in NL. Maybe its time to do something else than talk about her death and what happened, maybe its time to mark it some other way or to honour her in some other way or maybe it would still be too soon for others who were close to her to see her death commereated. I know pipin tried another dive in her honour but this aside maybe its time the freediving community did something or maybe we do and i am not aware of it.

Last edited:
Until she finally decided she'd had enough and told him she was divorcing him. And then were dead three days later. You do the math.

There were also those suspicious-looking bruises on her chest after the shouting match Carlos heard them have the night before.

After reading the book, I don't even think of this so much as a freediving accident anymore but rather the tragic continuation of a couple's domestic dispute.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've watched the video and I can't really understand what happened. There are so many unknowns in this incident.
We do know two things - That Audrey's death was avoidable, and that there were mistakes made by her team that led to her death. Whether one person is more responsible than any other is not a question I am qualified to answer.
More than anything the Freediving community deserves to know as much as possible in order to improve our safety procedures. May those that know speak out. Thanks Carlos for starting the process.

I agree with you, but it seems obvious that some people were more responsible than others: 1) Pipin was obviously in charge, so he was clearly the main responsible. 2) Others bear responsibility in the measure that their knowledge and experience should have made clear for them the need for additional safety precautions, and should have insisted forcefully in taken care of that. For instance, at least one other safety technical diver, and a medical team present. Carlos says both issues were pointed to Pipin and he dismissed the need for another diver and said "a doctor" would be present at the attempt. However, there was none. A check list did not exist or at least it is not mention in the book. 3) According to Serra's book, Wiky Orjales said he found the whip and the tank normally used to fill the pony bottle "hidden" in the dive warehouse, took it to the dive boat and twice asked Pipin to fill the pony bottle, but Pipin said that has been done. (In his own book, Pipin said he heard "someone" saying that the pony bottle had been fill, but he didn't identify who said it). Serra sustains that Pipin never allowed anyone else to touch that bottle, and Wiky suspected that Pipin had not filled the bottle, but he didn't had the courage to confront Pipin right there and insist in verifying the status of the bottle. So thats a large responsibility over the shoulders of Wiky Orjales, even though he later risked his own life diving only with air to 90 meters as safety diver, and afterward broke up his relationship of many years with Pipin because he believed Pipin killed Audrey.

Edit by island_sands: Chris, while your thoughts and opinions may or may not be correct, Deeperblue is possibly not the place to express those thoughts to the extent of what you originally posted here. Let's keep the forum free of defamations, slander, accusations etc, it is also against forum rules.

We all appreciate your concern and also your efforts to bring as much as possible about the events occurred into the open, however there are limits as to what one can express here.

All the best to you Chris and good luck in your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not a prick, but I think this theory draws a very long bow.

Didn't Mayol have a history of mental illness, I can't recall specifics but I thought he was bipolar? When people commit suicide they have to perform an autopsy and in struggle a big guy like Pipin would certainly leave marks that would be picked up in an examination.

I remember a mate from school that was the class hero, good looking jock etc. who killed himself a few years after school, he was apparently bipolar too. It's a sad disease.

I don't think these conversations are productive, we can get angrier and angrier for whatever reasons but none of it is helping the healing process. I ordered Serra's book yesterday. I'll read it and i'll have some sort of emotional response, but you have to find peace within yourself, otherwise there's not much point in being on this rock is there?

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: Jon
We know that Mayol did a lot of yoga (especially pranayama).

My experience has been that pranayama, when combined with diving, can lead (in some cases) to bouts of extreme depression (even suicidal depression)....

But that still doesn't tell us the truth.

I must admit that I've never got my head around Mayols suicide, somebody very passionate about the sea. Still waters run deep indeed.

Eric Charrier, the controversial french constant weight diver (who at one point held a dubious record of 73.5m), also hung himself, or so they say.

I'm with Ben on this one.

Trying to tie Pipin to Mayol's death seems to be a REAL stretch under any circumstance.The man has his faults but what are we going to try and blame him for next- Global Warming?

Jon

Not to take this thread off it's stimulating paranoid track - it does seem logical that consistent intense apnea over a long period of time could result in chemical changes that might support depression or, possibly - bi-polar fluctuations. Look at Pipin with his brain lesions.

On a more esoteric note there is the equation of breathwork with the Yogic Kundalini phenomenon. Radical mood fluctuations are not at all unusual once kundalini is activated. In what I've read about Kundalini they to be considered a phase, albiet one that requires skillful help.

I remember reading one story where a woman was practicing with a teacher in India who worked with kundalini/states. One day she saw a mouse in her room and flew into a rage - crushing it into a bloody smear on the floor. She brought this up with her teacher who said; 'Those things happens sometimes'.

My experience has been that pranayama, when combined with diving, can lead (in some cases) to bouts of extreme depression (even suicidal depression)....

I'd be interested in hearing the real and hypothetical parallals. :confused:

I must admit that I've never got my head around Mayols suicide, somebody very passionate about the sea. Still waters run deep indeed.

Not much more personal of an issue really. I think the most important thing is to respect the man, including whatever he believed that brought him to that point to follow through.
Controversial, but ultimately it's his business and it's too late to argue with him. Who is to say that he was wrong? We didn't walk in his shoes. I mourn any suicide as a loss but must respect the person's choice.
Cheers,
Erik

Reactions: Spaniard
Not to take this thread off it's stimulating paranoid track ...........

Be my guest!
Paranoia and conspiracy theories are one thing, but posting stuff that could get Stephan or others subpoenaed/sued while risking the existence of our DB community is downright disrespectful and self-serving IMO.
Thanks for derailing that bit of stupidity.
Erik

Be careful everyone - DB was nearly involved in a lawsuit because of original comments about Pipin and Audrey.

Reactions: Erik
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT