• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

No fish, why? underwater fish university..here

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: no fish !!! why? underwater fish university..here!!

first one is gilthead bream, second one is sargo.

Gilthead bream are my current challenge for next season. Not so interested in regular bream, unsure of the name -- 90% of my fish species knowledge is in French due to me spearing and fishing there moreso than here, mostly due to my laziness and water/air temperature :)

fantastic, i went yesterday with Wolf, and Adrian who we meet through this site, we had a great 2 hours in Cap de creus national park freediving, and a wonderful afternoon eating indian food on the Cap in the lighthouse resturant emmmmmm. life is good. no spearing though (national park).

hey paddy when you are in france where do you fish?

I cave hunt for Snapper and Grouper. When I see the entrance to the cave I always approach from the side and look in. Never from the front as the fish see you before you can adjust your eyes to the dark. Also checking the cave from the side hides your body and offers a side shot as the fish always look out of the cave front. Make sure your snorkel is out of your mouth when you dive down and you wont let out any bubbles. One bubble can spook the fish. Also following fish with your head moving can scare them as well as sticking out your gun way in front of you. try checking in the caves from the side and look for a tail or eye or fin way in the back hiding from you.

You are right about smart fish though. I would see a snapper in a cave, go up for air and swim back down and he was gone. This happens alot to me. Its as if they know that im comming back with bad intentions.

I get alot of good snapper like that.

GTB
www.spearfishingvideos.com

johnny said:
hey paddy when you are in france where do you fish?

Brittany, around Le Golfe du Morbihan + Quiberon on the continent (+ a little further down from there where my grandparents live - Sarzeau, St. Jacques)

My favourite spots though, where the water is clearer but colder (and I spend 75% of my holiday time) are around the surrounding islands -- Belle Isle, where a friend of mine is opening his dive school this Summer! Houat and Hoedic (starting from the biggest to smallest islands).

The best of them all though from personal experience as a spearo, is another very small island that is completely uninhabited called L'Isle au chevaux, which is between Houat and Hoedic. I think all the fish that don't like noise take refuge here during the Summer months ;)

You can anchor the boat and swim around the entire island on a spearing session it's so small but it's also so rich it's incredible. It's the only place I've seen a 5Kg+ sized bass in less than 2M of water, with his head greedily stuck in a huge laminaria, devouring the little fish that were basking in its warmth in the sun at 6:30am with only his tail sticking out. Grabbing the rocks to advance as slowly as possible towards him without any movement or creating any vibrations in the water -- my weight belt hit a rock, his head came up, he looked at me, then left in a cloud of smoke like the road runner :vangry

My local knowledge of the area is mostly specific to Hoedic. I have some great fishing buddies and family over there that have helped extend that a lot more thankfully! The family has a Summer house on Hoedic that we occupy for 2/3 weeks in July each year, I usually take 4-5 off work, stay there for 3/4 and visit friends or family elsewhere for another week between July/August each year. This year it looks like I'm heading that way for mid-July and returning mid-August.

very nice Paddy, i sailed around that area quite a few years ago, i remember Belle isle and we also went into the Morbihan..( very tidal ) i was not spearing then. Sounds like a great area.

I fish in the costa brava, here where i live, in the Mediterranean sea, we have a few restricted areas where you can not go ( which is great for the fish ). the coast line is quite spectacular especially around Cap de Creus area, this is where Salvador Dali had his house and many of his paintings were influenced from his surroundings, like flying bass with a head of a tiger rofl ....hahahaa
A friend of mine spotted some large Bass :p the other day in that area, from the shore, in 2m of water. i was supposed to go today but i feel a little under the weather.

Have fun Johnny.

Thought I'd dig this back up again just to let everyone know that if they're heading to Dublin and looking for a dive buddy I will not be around!

I have emigrated to France (since I last posted here a good while back) and currently reside in Rennes. I have plans to stay for as long as possible (at least the next 3-5years) and may not return home at all apart from the odd visit.

Hey Paddy will you be fising around Morbihan ? Quite close to Rennes from what I remember ?
Drop me a line if you over in Guernsey - it is pretty close to Rennes - train to St Malo, ferry to Gsy...
Take it easy - Ed

I will indeed -- VERY frequently! It's an hour and a bit away, not far at all. I was out visiting St Malo 2 weeks back scouting it out.

The even better news is that big sargo have started to swarm around this coastline too! :p

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT