• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

No reflection?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Beloveds friends, when it is the Championship of the World of the CMAS we discuss about that one, for hour we discuss about happened how much and we try to reflect. A contest constructed for the participation of single is exposed to the fact that the single ones do not have sufficient moneies in order to participate. The model of the CMAS is that one of the entire sport world and ago reference to the National Federations. Therefore the athletes only can participate without to pay and to be "obligates to you" from the National Federations to participate... The fact that athletes of absolute value do not participate to the contests is most serious and testifies that these athletes make only the contests that they are organized for they and for their interests. These only if same persons show not to love the apnea but. As far as l?AIDA she demonstrates herself inadequate to the role politicamente that she expects to cover. Hello

Compliments for CAFA and respectfully

Reactions: Erik
Concerning the 'poor results' claimed at the 2004 worlds, let's realize that the results were not poor at all; in fact, world records were set in both men's (442.2) and women's (341.0) team total points.

Let's compare total points from previous championships:

The following scores are corrected for the recent rule change in static apnea point scoring:

Men's Teams -- Top 10 Overall

1. Germany 442.2 (Vancouver 2004)
2. Italy 421.2 (Ibiza 2001)
3. France 417.0 (Ibiza 2001)
4. Venezuela 415.2 (Hawaii 2002)
5. Sweden 404.4 (Hawaii 2002)
6. UK 396.4 (Vancouver 2004)
7. Sweden 390.8 (Ibiza 2001)
8. Greece 372.4 (Ibiza 2001)
9. Japan 369.4 (Hawaii 2002)
10. Canada 367.2 (Vancouver 2004)

Women's Teams -- Top 10 Overall

1. Canada 341.0 (Vancouver 2004)
2. USA 326.8 (Hawaii 2002)
3. USA 318.0 (Vancouver 2004)
4. Canada 296.6 (Ibiza 2001)
5. USA 293.2 (Ibizia 2001)
6. Germany 292.3 (Vancouver 2004)
7. Japan 291.2 (Hawaii 2002)
8. Canada 287.5 (Hawaii 2002)
9. UK 273.6 (Vancouver 2004)
10. Italy 272.2 (Ibiza 2001)

Raw Scores for 2001, 2002, 2004:

Ibiza 2001, Men:
1. Italy 421.2
2. France 417.0
3. Sweden 390.8
4. Greece 372.4

Hawaii 2002 Men:
1. Venezuela 415.2
2. Sweden 404.4
3. Japan 369.4

Vancouver 2004 Men:
1. Germany 442.2
2. UK 396.4
3. Canada 367.2

---------------------------------

Ibiza 2001 Women:
1. Canada 302.2
2. USA 293.2
3. Italy 272.2

Hawaii 2002 Women:
1. USA 326.8
2. Japan 291.2
3. Canada 296.6
4. Australia 266.6

Vancouver 2004 Women:
1. Canada 341.0
2. USA 318.0
3. Germany 292.3
4. UK 273.6

----------------------------------

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Last edited:
Beloved Eric, you must be honest. Three years, in the apnea they are longest...... How much was the World-wide record Three years ago and how much is today?... How many persons were in a position to coming down until the -70 mt then and how much today?... In order to make comparisons it is necessary to be honest with if same and the others. I admir the efforts made from the Canadian Federation and I admire the athletes but I do not forget the facts... without rancor but for love of the truth. Hello

remark: is a world record broken in every next WC in athletics????? I can remember records standing 10...15 years before they were broken.

The circumstances have to be taken in account when judging a WC.....and a world championship is there to show in 1 competition who is the best, this doesn't mean the attempts need to be close to the WR's. The definition of a competition is something different then a world ranking or the list of WR's.

I think it is a very good thing if the championships travels around the complete globe, despite the conditions or the price of living. The Canada competition was expensive due to enscription price and plane tickets, on the contrary the price of living was very very cheap comparing it to Europe.

Japan, will be more expensive but we are 2 years further and slowly sponsors are getting interested (we had NONE, all private money).

just an opinion,
Pim

ps, WHY, with the possibility of doing a 9:24 static risk everything on the constant weight. It is a team-championship and not a record attempt.

Reactions: Erik
I just want to state something from the German point of view...
We were really sad about so many countries being absent!!! Especially Venezuela! In fact the first thing I had asked Kirk Krack at the opening ceremony was: Where is Venezuela? The German team had been badly looking forward to messing with Carlos and Co!!! If they had come we would have definately scored some points more... We were also sad that Italy and France didn't come... I don't know all the reasons but I consider money as the main one...
I hope the next Worlds are in Egypt, but for the future I do hope that many countries have more sponsors... Tom

Hi Tom, congratulations for your atonishing performances in static.

Italy won't take part to AIDA comps because they don't trust AIDA and because we know that AIDA is not part (and will never become) of the Olympic Movement.... there's already an International Federation for the Underwater Sport in it, it is the CMAS.

Best,

Joefox

Good progression, if AIDA goes on like that in 5 years the game will be over.
Anyway, if you're honest you must admit that this WC -despite all the efforts of CAFA crew- was a half-failure. Little partecipation => poor results
If you're happy with a 70 meters world champion in CB, it's your business. Winning the CB WC with 70 meters is like winning the 100 mt run in 14 seconds
As far as l?AIDA she demonstrates herself inadequate to the role politicamente that she expects to cover. Hello
Italy won't take part to AIDA comps because they don't trust AIDA and because we know that AIDA is not part (and will never become) of the Olympic Movement.... there's already an International Federation for the Underwater Sport in it, it is the CMAS
What amazes me is how Gianfranco Ciavarella and Giorgio Volpe (Joe Fox) come on to this forum and criticize the AIDA. Even with the differences in culture considered, I find this extremely low class.:mad: Would you ever see a major AIDA person, posting on threads of a CMAS competition, criticizing it? Anyone ever seen a post by Kirk Krack criticizing something the CMAS did or how it is organized, etc?

Gianfranco and Joe Fox, if you really have a better product why do you need to put the AIDA down? People have tried to be nice to you and the CMAS by complementing you on CMAS performances, ect.. They have even trying to reason with you on why they feel good about the AIDA WC. Who are you to criticize the AIDA WC? Did you compete in it? Have you ever done a 70m CB? Seems like the only discipline you would be qualified to comment on is dynamic, since it’s the only event your CMAS competitions have common with AIDA.
don

Originally posted by joefox
I think that when Kirk Krack and the other guys of the CAFA got the championship (the other candidate was Egypt, wasn't it?) they started working really hard to set up the best competition they could. I guess they expected and deserved a different partecipation, and if I were CAFA I would never organize another WC in the future. I would feel... sort of betrayed.
Maybe the economic problem should have been taken into account when it was time to decide between Canada and the other candidate?
Joefox [/B]

Actually, we're quite keen on hosting the World Championships again and we're actively wondering when would be a good time to do so. We have learned so much over the past year that it would be a shame to do this only once. Also, CAFA now has an international reputation for putting on good competitions so I expect that we would have a much higher participation rate the next time around.

It's true that all of us who were there would have liked to have had more athletes. Unfortunately as organizers we can only build it; we can't force the athletes to come.

We knew about all of the factors stacked against us when we put in our bid. We staked our organizational ability against Egypt's blue water and proximity to Europe. The members of the AIDA assembly took all factors into consideration when voting for the host.

Keep in mind that last year's AIDA Individual World Championships in Turkey was cancelled because the organizers couldn't get it together. Compared to last year, Vancouver was a big success. Even compared to 2001, Vancouver was a big success. People remember the poor organization and the loss of Italy much more than they remember the number of participants.

I'm sure that in the long run that a small, well run competiton puts AIDA in a better situation than a large poorly run or cancelled competition. Just as we borrowed some ideas from Howard Jones and his monkeys, future organizers will borrow from us. CAFA and the DeeperBlue staff got some great images too so it should be easier to get sponsorship in the future. The participation numbers will automatically follow.

Tom Lightfoot
CAFA Vice President and Webmaster
www.freedivecanada.com
www.aidaworlds2004.com

One more thing...

Originally posted by joefox
If you're happy with a 70 meters world champion in CB, it's your business.

Winning the CB WC with 70 meters is like winning the 100 mt run in 14 seconds.

Joefox

When dissing the top performance at the AIDA World Championships, keep in mind that 70m is still 55m deeper than the deepest performance at the CMAS competition. Our shallowest athlete was 8m deeper than the deepest performance at the CMAS competition.

AIDA was founded because CMAS is afraid of the deep.

Tom Lightfoot

Reactions: fpernett
Tom,

I'm sorry, if you want to talk about sport with me, you'd better read a lot about the Olympic Movement. What you write here and in your articles is ok for those who ignore it.

Joefox

jrgian

i send you some positive karma since you got some negative karma already.

i would wish you could contribute something to the discussion in a maybe more informative manner and avoiding that negative 'tone'.

some facts or opinions would be wicked.

heads up

roland

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT