• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

official - fin sizing thread - please add your info

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Kenai,

You want the 44-45 for sure. I have a size 43 foot and most of my other footpockets are 42-44- I have Sproasub and OMER pockets on my fins but have also owned Picasso, Cressi, Esclapez, and Spetton pockets of the same size. I happen to own that exact fin that you're talking about, the NEMO, and can get a 3-5mm sock in with my 44-45 footpockets. I had a chance to try the size down, which unirdna has, and I could only wear it with cotton running socks on.

Jon

I have recieved my fin and tried it this weekend in a local lake.
Thank you Jon for your advice :)

footsize: 43 euro (26cm)
WW Nemo Wings size 44-45, Nemo pockets
Pockets fit a bit loose barefeet and snug but not tight with 3mm socks
Comfortable fit. A bit hard getting into the pockets with socks deu to the friction with the socks.

Foot size - 45.
- C4 Falcon with Sporasub footpockets, size 46-48, with 4 mm Beuchat socks; very comfortable.
- Picasso Black Team, size 46-48, with 5-7 mm socks; very comfortable.
- "Dolphin" rubber fins, size 42, with cutted heelpiece (weared facedown for pool trainings)

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the spacing of the blade mounting holes found on various foot pockets. Are the hole positions similar from one footpocket manufacturer to another? Or are there differences that would preclude the interchangability of blades?

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chip,

I believe that there is a lot of variation in position of blade mounting holes. But when I bought my Matrix blades and put them in Picasso Black Team pockets, I just drilled the blades to match the pockets.

Info requested:
Size 10 shoes
44-46 Picasso Black Team pockets
4 mm booties.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the spacing of the blade mounting holes found on various foot pockets. Are the hole positions similar from one footpocket manufacturer to another? Or are there differences that would preclude the interchangability of blades?

Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sporasub Elite footpockets and C4 blades (I have Flaps) fit together without problem. I don't know about another companies products combinations.

hello db fin seekers,

when i started this thread i was trying to figure out what size footpockets to buy. i now have my fins so here is my own foot/fin info:

make and model of fins you own
- OMER Millenium Black fins

size of fins

- 44-46

thickness and type of socks worn
-
- in the pool i use a 2 or 3 mm sock, which works fine but the fins are slightly loose. in the ocean i generally use a 5mm sock, which works perfectly (although i will use the 3mm as well). i haven't yet tried the 6mm sock while swimming but they seem a little snug during dry fitting, i fear they may be too tight to allow sufficient blood flow.

when i ordered my fins i also ordered a pair of 3mm and 5mm omer fin socks (from spearfishinggear.com) to cover my bases as far as fit. additionally, i had a pair of 4 and 6mm socks made along with my elios wetsuit in case i needed them for fitting the footpocket (and for winter dives of course).

comments regarding quality of fit
-
fit is great - the fin size is definitely correct for my foot. i can comfortably wear a range of sock thicknesses, which affects the overall snugness of fit (see above). 5mm sock is the best fit for my foot.

foot size and country -
canada - size 10.5 (we use the american sizing)

any additional fit/foot info

- i have somewhat narrow feet.

cheers and i wish you all the best in finding your own perfectly fitting fins,
sean
vancouver, canada

Last edited:
Ha ha.
Circle is closed. :)

for me anyway --- at least until i get the itch to get better fins ;) ... maybe a pair of carbon fibre blades or even some C4s are in my future? my bank account says otherwise unfortunately. :(

anyway, hopefully others will continue to add their fin/foot/sizing/fit info to this thread as they buy new fins.

the more info the better the fit (hopefully anyways).

cheers,
sean
vancouver, canada

Last edited:
What do you guys think...

My foot size is 43-44 depending on the shoe (mainly 44). What OMER footpockets would you recommend, 43-45 or 44-46 with 3-5mm socks? (I currently own 4mm socks).
I'd like them to fit rather snug/perfectly, but not too loose as I'm not wild about fin keepers.

Last edited:
Cracking thread. Its hard to decide on stiffness/type/make of fins without worrying about sizes.

My feet are UK size 8-8.5

- make and model of fins you own -Cressi gara 2000 + 3000
- size of fins - 8-9
- thickness and type of socks worn - 3mm and fin retainers
- comments regarding quality of fit - comfy, wouldnt fit without socks
- foot size and country - Uk 8-8.5
- any additional fit/foot info

- make and model of fins you own -Waterway M1LD M2MD
- size of fins 260mm
- thickness and type of socks worn - none (3mm winter but too tight)
- comments regarding quality of fit - perfect with no socks
- foot size and country - 8-8.5UK
- any additional fit/foot info - No movement of feet but comfy too.

- make and model of fins you own -Leaderfins Hyper
- size of fins -L UK 6-8
- thickness and type of socks worn - None
- comments regarding quality of fit - Fit in length but arch tight, couldnt get away with next size up it would be too loose. Arches tight but toes loose, needed to make socks for toes to stop movement pivoting at arch
- foot size and country -8-8.5UK
- any additional fit/foot info - Can now last 40mins no problem with fin on, shaved feet and lubed..... ouch at first

When buying Mustangs, try them on if possible. My feet are 43 by length but too wide unless the shoes have laces. I only wear shoes one or two days a year except on the bike. OMER 42-44 are perfect bare foot with just enough room for thin, short toe pads. Sporasub 46-48 are good with 3 or 5mm socks, depending on how long they'll be on. The Mustang 43-44 is the best fitting fin that I've ever had on my left foot. Just can't get the same feeling on the right foot (might just be the 15mm lump I have though). The next size up will probably be better. Worst case, might need booties and/or a pad under the foot.

My foot size is 43-44 depending on the shoe (mainly 44). What OMER footpockets would you recommend, 43-45 or 44-46 with 3-5mm socks?
If the water isn't cold and if the skin on your feet isn't rubbing with 43-45 footpockets then they will be the better (not sure the best) choice. The stiffness of the "foot-fin" system is higher when not using socks thus the efficiency of each fin stroke is higher too.

Last edited:
If the water isn't cold and if the skin on your feet isn't rubbing with 43-45 footpockets then they will be the better (not sure the best) choice. The stiffness of the "foot-fin" system is higher when not using socks thus the efficiency of each fin stroke is higher too.

the omer footpockets are fairly stiff so i would seriously consider using some type of fin sock regardless of the temperature. i think you would have blisters pretty quick with no socks.:crutch

using only bare-feet for increased power transfer efficiency would only be an issue for short, very high performance needs and would definitely cause discomfort (at least with omer foot pockets).

i find my omer fins very comfortable using a 3 or 5mm sock, but i swim cold waters and require socks for warmth and not just preventing blisters. generally, you can adjust the tightness of fit by the thickness of sock used (within reason---you still need the right sized fins to start with).

if you absolutely want a similar fit to bare-feet and you are swimming warm waters you can buy very thin fin socks used in swim fins for pools (assuming your fins fit your bare-feet exactly).

cheers,
sean
vancouver, canada

Last edited:
Thanks for advice fellas, got a bigger pair (44-46) of OMER footpockets today.

- make and model of fins you own: Omer Millenium footpockets
- size of fins: 44-46
- thickness and type of socks worn: 4mm Beuchat Elaskin
- comments regarding quality of fit: quite snug, very comfortable
- foot size and country: 44 Europe
- any additional fit/foot info: none

I ordered the picasso black teams size 44/46 and the foot pocket was way too wide for my foot. It was a little big length wise but could have worked the width was the problem. I have a US size 10.5 narrow foot I need suggestions on which fins would be good for me. I am thinking about looking at the Cressi Gara or some Omer fins but I do not have a store around me to be able to try them on. Help is greatly appreciated!

dub diver,

i have a similar sized foot as you (10.5 US) and mine is on the narrow side as well.

have you tried them with thicker neoprene socks? a 5mm or 6mm sock might be the answer--even double layer thin socks if it is all you can find.

i have no experience with the picasso footpockets but i do have a pair of omer 44/46. they are certainly wider than my foot but with a 5mm neoprene sock the fit is snug. i can also dive with other thicknesses of sock, which affect the fit accordingly.

i have heard of people gluing/epoxying parts of, or whole insteps from running shoes or "superfeet" type inserts into the footpockets to adjust the fit. might be worth a try if the socks don't help. i read about it here on db somewhere; a search would likely turn it up.

as far as buying new fins, i was in the same boat as you regarding not being able to try them on first; which led me to start this thread :). i collected as much info as possible from other divers, here on the forums, with similar sized feet who also owned the brand i wanted. additionally, i ordered a few different thicknesses of socks when i bought my fins and wetsuit (ranging from 3-6mm), which allowed me to "adjust" the fit when the fins arrived.

if you plan on ordering omer fins, as far as i can tell, you should order the same size 44/46 you have now. unless you will be diving in warm waters only then you might(?) be able to squeeze into the smaller size wearing a very thin fin sock for swim fins, although length could pose an issue.

hope you get the problem sorted out,
sean
vancouver, canada

Last edited:
Foot size: UK 10.5, USA 11+ EU: 45/46 (measured UK length 9.5, width D+)
Fins: Beauchat Competition
Fin size: 45/46
Neoprene socks: Winter/Spring/Autumn - 5mm Elios
Summer/pool - none
Fit: excellent with & without booties (colder feet are smaller than hotter ones)​

I have wide, sturdy feet. The classic foot measuring device has proven to be consistently wrong for my feet (9.5 - no way). I wear size 45 rock slippers but they can be painfully tight ...probably closer to 46.

Note: there is no fixed scale that links the UK/US/EU sizes...the conversions (e.g. as shown on the shoe box or sole of a fin) vary greatly. I have shoes that are supposed to be US size 12, UK 11 and EU 43 that fit well rofl.

Last edited:
Fin - Omer Millenium (grey)
Fin Size - 42-44
Sock - 6mm Mares sock
Fit - Snug around the front of the foot and grips well on back of the heel but a little space left under the ankles on both sides. Works well enough, fins stay on and no cramps.
Shoe size - Euro 42, UK 8, US 9
Additional info - Skinny heels, High arches, wide and flat front.

I have always struggled with Omer footpockets. I find Sporasub to be the most comfortable, I am a skinny foot UK size 7, wearing 3mm socks I have 40-42 (Euro size) footpockets (Sporasub Radical, Sporasub Pure Carbon, Sporasub Grafiber)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT