• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

official - fin sizing thread - please add your info

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I wear a 44 shoe.

I'm going to order Omer Ice Fins 44-46.

Will be wearing 5mm socks.

This thread has really helped make the decision. Great!

Will post details soon.

Fin - Omer Millenium Runner, black
Fin Size - 42-44
Sock - 5mm Speton Sock
Fit - Snug around the front of the foot, a little loose around heel as they seem too wide (for "normal feet") A 6mm sock would probably close the gap but may tighten toes??
Shoe size - Euro 42, UK 8, US 9
Additional info - All omers seem to have that wide open mouth to the foot pockets? Cressi and Imersion foot pockets look "sleeker" or more foot shaped. Still, the blades propel really nicely and are light. Nicely powerful for well trained legs in 11 deg C water.

Last edited:
I wear a 44 shoe.

I'm going to order Omer Ice Fins 44-46.

Will be wearing 5mm socks.

This thread has really helped make the decision. Great!

Will post details soon.

All received from www.apnea.co.uk - superb service and advice.

Fins fit very nicely with 5mm socks, I reckon I'll also be able to use 3mm during the Summer.

Again, a great thread because I was able to buy my fins with a very good idea of what fits.:t

- make and model of fins you own : Omer Millennium Ice
- size of fins : 42-44
- thickness and type of socks worn : 5 mm Cressi socks
- comments regarding quality of fit : ok, but don't think i can use a thinner sock in them
- foot size and country : 42.5-43 Euro size
- any additional fit/foot info : with the 5mm socks the fit is fine in the front and length wise, but a bit roomy around the heel part. the fins stays on but since the foot has a little bit of movement i use fin keepers just to be sure. I guess i have a slightly narrow foot.

Bump

- make and model of fins you own : Omer Ice fins
- size of fins : 38-40
- thickness and type of socks worn : 3 or 5mm
- comments regarding quality of fit : 3mm, tad loose. 5mm, snug.
- foot size and country : 37 1/2 Europe
- any additional fit/foot info : I have tiny feet.:t

- make and model of fins you own : Moroz monofin
- size of fins : 23.5cm
- thickness and type of socks worn : none
- comments regarding quality of fit : Damn tight
- foot size and country : 37 1/2
- any additional fit/foot info : Some places need to be sanded down to my needs

- make and model of fins you own : not mine, but a friends Specialfins 'Peter' medium
- size of fins : 40-42
- thickness and type of socks worn : 3 plus 5mm
- comments regarding quality of fit : 8mm altogether, so snug
- foot size and country : 37 1/2
- any additional fit/foot info : I like this fin very much, can wear for hours on end

This is one of the best threads I have read on this Forum... thanks for all the good info... I was very lucky to "inherit" my first set of spearfishing fins (4 years old and still using them, though the pocket just got a split), given to me by a freind with same type of foot. My contribution:

Foot: Think "Fred Flintstone"... US 10EEEE, high arch, thick heel (suitable for braking vehicles)
Fin: Picasso Black Team pocket... used the BT blades until recent purchase of Matrix blades (sweeeet!)
Sock/Boot: Various... I use 3 mil booty with light protective bottom when in the rough stuff (in case I have to leave the water onto the rocks), 5 or 6 mil sock in open water.
Comfort: Snug fit, no "squeaking" to alert the fish (especially with socks), can dive 6 hours in a day no problem.

Last edited:
Cressi Garas 2000 HF

40-42 with 3mm socks fit was normal with socks & without sucks loose and rather uncomfortable to use.

Now I use : Carbontek Matt Mimmetic Blades with sporasub 38-40 footpockets, 2mm Akona low socks & I LOVE THEM! :inlove

I have yet to dive to a really good depth with my carbons but all I can say is every hype out there about carbons is some what real and honest, The feeling & performance is awesome. :martial

Last edited:
My feeling is that there's plenty of confusion about the right choice. My own experience tells me that it depends much on the brand. On my monfin I've an OMER footpocket "S" (38) which fits fine. My Cressi bifins are 40-42 ! (the smallest available ones). Without socks fit is rather lousy, with 3 mm socks are a bit too tight....

Okay, I am new to this forum and have enormous feet.

I would like a nice long pair of freediving fins but I wear a size 15US shoe. I have gotten lucky and found a pair of size 13 (typically the biggest ever offered) surfing booties that fit me nicely. I was hoping to find some similar miracle in the freediving fin.

It seems that the JBL open heeled escalapez might be my only option.

Thanks,
Adam Yuret
The Adventures of Estrella

Have you tried the omer 46-48, they are the biggest closed heel that I am aware of. Or perharps with these large feet, the only thing you need is to give up trimming your toe nails.

Okay, I am new to this forum and have enormous feet.

I would like a nice long pair of freediving fins but I wear a size 15US shoe. I have gotten lucky and found a pair of size 13 (typically the biggest ever offered) surfing booties that fit me nicely. I was hoping to find some similar miracle in the freediving fin.

It seems that the JBL open heeled escalapez might be my only option.
Size 15! Do you even need fins?:) Just kidding.

If you are unable to find regular fins in your size: not particularly trendy but open heel Jetfins have been in use by professionals since the 70s (possibly earlier). I believe OMD uses them for some activities (SCUBA with boots?) and the special forces reputedly use them too. They are broader and shorter than most modern freediving fins. I also saw some more modern open heel fins in a catalog, not sure which one though -- possibly Seacsub, they seem to bring out a couple of additional fin models each year. Oh yes, here are some: Seac Sub - Diving Equipment - Fins

American companies might be likely to produce v. large size, although I see the Dutch are the tallest nation in the world (did you see their judo team at the Beijing Olympics? All v. tall).

But if Omer produces them -- why wouldn't you get Omers?!

Last edited:
Okay so i just went out to a local shop not expecting to find anything and ended up coming home with fins.

They said they just got in the latest mares razor pro which is a full foot pocket detachable blade freediving fin and I was shocked to discover that they appeared to fit my feet with my cotton socks on. I dont think I'll ever get a 5 mil sock in there but since i do my freediving in warm waters its not a big deal. Through some wheeling and dealing i managed to take them home for $100 so I'm thrilled.

While at another dive shop the owner told he me routinely has to advise people to get 1 or 2 sizes smaller in all his Mares fins which makes sense since this fin claims to be for 12-13 and i am a 15.

anyway, I shall take these to the local pool and do some trials to see how i like them, though i havent dove for over a year due to saving up for going cruising and i am way out of shape. also these are my first freediving fins and first full foot pocket. we'll see.

Thanks everybody,
Adam Yuret
The Adventures of Estrella

C4 mustang also come with 47-48 shoe..ok, i know they're sooooo expensive, but they made a polymer blade, too

i wear 43 and use those fins in 44-45 size, with a 3mm sock (@sea) or no sock at all (pool and warm water seas)

my instructor wears 46 shoes and fitted a 39-40 mustang shoe during a DYN competition, they're very flexible (ok, you cannot actually wear a 5# difference for more than a few minutes, i am aware of this...)

Okay so i just went out to a local shop not expecting to find anything and ended up coming home with fins.

They said they just got in the latest mares razor pro which is a full foot pocket detachable blade freediving fin and I was shocked to discover that they appeared to fit my feet with my cotton socks on. I dont think I'll ever get a 5 mil sock in there but since i do my freediving in warm waters its not a big deal. Through some wheeling and dealing i managed to take them home for $100 so I'm thrilled.

While at another dive shop the owner told he me routinely has to advise people to get 1 or 2 sizes smaller in all his Mares fins which makes sense since this fin claims to be for 12-13 and i am a 15.

anyway, I shall take these to the local pool and do some trials to see how i like them, though i havent dove for over a year due to saving up for going cruising and i am way out of shape. also these are my first freediving fins and first full foot pocket. we'll see.

nice to hear something like this!!

i have a similar problem (foot size 45).
tried a few footpockets and here are my observations with foot 45 +3,5 mm sock:

-captain nemo 46-48 could hardly jam my feet into these babies, gave me unbearable pain after 15 min. blades are superb though, still use them today.:inlove
without socks they are great, fit my feet perfectly.

-sporasub 46-48 use regularly with 3.5 mm sock, still 'comfortable' after 5 h in the water.
without socks are too big to wear barefoot. the rubber in those shoes is hard as hell.:blackeye

Thinking of buying another set of fins for cold water diving with 5.5mm socks or double 3,5 mm. looking primarily for extra large comfortable footpockets which will not kill my feet.

-tried omer 46-48 with 5 mm socks + regular socks. nice soft rubber, surprisingly big, could probably survive an hour or two in them, but still looking for larger.

-teknosport aquatic 46-48. with 5mm sock+ regular socks could hardly jam my feet into them.:naughty

At my shop they were out of new effesub footpockets, which come in size 47-49. will report when try.

pathos is supposed to produce new footpocket for carbon blades in size 49-51, but still waiting to try them out. they will be expensive though.

must try the new mares ones:martial

well, I am the lucky owner of Mares razor pro fins. The 46-48 footpocket is the largest of the abovementioned, really comfortable with the 5mm sock, plus the shoe-rubber material is very soft. the quality of the product is superb.

Last edited:
- Make and Model: Omer Pegaso
- Size: Millenium footpocket (non-screw type) 44-46
- Thickness and type of socks worn: 3mm Yazbeck Camo Supra Flex-o-fit
- Quality of fit: Snug. Best fit I've found thusfar. I used to wear socks of 3mm stitched neoprene with nylon linings on both sides. I'd get the Yazbecks again.
- Foot size: 11.5 US

- Additional fit/foot info: I don't look at a lot of people's feet, but it seems mine are slightly narrower than others walking around in flip-flops here. Water temperature averages 23-26ºC at 8m. Salinity here varies but is usually around 35 ppt (in range of what most physical oceanographers agree is average salinity of the ocean). It's warm and salty, but in the water your feet still shrink a little.

~ Aloha from Hawai'i

Last edited:
Esclapez Green
41-43
3mm socks
Relaxed, slightly loose fit but very comfortable.
8 wide (8 1/2 NZ...)
Wiiide feet - a bit like the Romans in the Asterix comics...

Wiiide feet - a bit like the Romans in the Asterix comics...
I wonder why? In my experience, Italian shoes & boots are often quite narrow (e.g. LaSportiva), esp. for wide British feet. [The Spanish climbing boot maker Boreal started making wider fitting climbing shoes for the British market when they became v. popular here back in the late 1980s, because of their revolutionary sticky rubber soles -- their Spanish shoes certainly are narrow, I have several pairs.]

Mr. X - I had Diadora Jalapeno mountain bike shoes as well which fit very well. That despite them being Italian. The fit of the fins is a little on the roomy side all around, if I must be honest. Mares Plana Avanti footpocket is more snug and I sometimes get cramp because it is too snug.

Yes, there are exceptions. I seem to recall Scarpa shoes & boots usually fit very well (and are/were of excellent quality & design in my experience).

I use neoprene socks to adjust the fit of my fins. In practice that means I usually wear no socks in the pool nor in the sea in Summer (August) and socks (not sure if they are 3mm or 5mm - just regular socks from Mikes of Bristol or Elios) the rest of the time. It works v. well for me. Yes, you don't want your fins so tight that they affect circulation -- that can make your feet feel cold despite wearing socks. I first noticed this in the mountains (hiking/climbing/skiing): counter-intuitively, sometimes removing a pair of socks or switching to a thinner pair will make your feet feel warmer.

Last edited:
shoe size 45 european.

Mares razor (fantastic footpockets) I use size 45/46 with 3 mm socks. Fit perfectly
Omer milleniums (worst footpockets ever, too hard and heavy) with same 3mm I have to use 46/48 size.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT