• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I just came across the Omer Cayman Special Edition: http://www.omersub.com/eng/caymanse_eng.asp It has an interesting & unusual configuration: 3x14mm rubber bands...
se02.jpg

...with Dyneema Wishbones (hooray at last!) & shark finned spear...
se05.jpg

...also cool mimetec camo:
se01.jpg

The 3x14mm configuration caught my eye. Occasionally (rarely) we hear of youngsters starting off with 1x14mm (for easy loading). We know that 2x14mm is a popular configuration in Hawaii, perhaps for the combination of easy loading + power (we estimated this configuration to be about the same as or v. slightly more than 1x20mm band) with a slight cost in additional loading time/effort. 3x14mm is new to me but I would expect it to be significantly more powerful than 1x20mm while being considerably easier to load (strengthwise/strainwise) although it will likely take almost 2x as long to reload (bearing in mind that, either way, the spear & spear-line are only reset once)

I suppose the power vs. loading time trade-off makes more sense when you are dealing with larger fish, perhaps at greater distance (perhaps fewer in number). You need the power to reach & penetrate the bigger fish and the reward (in lbs of edible fish) offsets any additional time loading. Also, if you have shoulder problems/pain or similar injury/disability, 14mm bands might offer a welcome relief.

You are probably right wrt the power part about Hawaii. I started my spearfishing journey there with a giude and we did a beach dive on a reef. The next day he sent me a photo of a 136lb tuna he caught on a deep blue dive. Apparently it took 3 spears to finish/retrieve.

To say i was jealous was an understatement :)

Lucky him, lucky you :) Yes, I notice spearos going after big fish usually have a second speargun nearby, often on a boat or held by a buddy. 3 spears/136lb, that is a "big day" by any measure. Mind you, eating tuna for the next x months might get tiresome :D

The above speargun caught my eye as I noticed it on sale currently: http://www.planetdivestore.com/dive/spearguns/spearguns/omer-cayman-special-edition/20546/72099/sc
I currently use & enjoy 2 Omer XXVs (super-slim, superlight) but the (newer) Cayman ranges have always struck me as interesting and innovative e.g. adjustable, constant tension trigger; optional ergo-grip; Omer XXV-style flexible muzzle option; aluminium/hydroformed aluminium/carbon(/wooden?)/3-D camo barrel options.

Yeah thats a lot of ahi poke thats for sure!

You dont just get that need on the south coast, i have been invited to florida for a sailing / spearing holiday and i ma need to stock up on a few more guns :)

After loading 3 bands I'd probably have lost interest or need a nap these days :D

I just came across the Omer Cayman Special Edition: http://www.omersub.com/eng/caymanse_eng.asp It has an interesting & unusual configuration: 3x14mm rubber bands...
se02.jpg

...with Dyneema Wishbones (hooray at last!) & shark finned spear...
se05.jpg

...also cool mimetec camo:
se01.jpg

The 3x14mm configuration caught my eye. Occasionally (rarely) we hear of youngsters starting off with 1x14mm (for easy loading). We know that 2x14mm is a popular configuration in Hawaii, perhaps for the combination of easy loading + power (we estimated this configuration to be about the same as or v. slightly more than 1x20mm band) with a slight cost in additional loading time/effort. 3x14mm is new to me but I would expect it to be significantly more powerful than 1x20mm while being considerably easier to load (strengthwise/strainwise) although it will likely take almost 2x as long to reload (bearing in mind that, either way, the spear & spear-line are only reset once)

I suppose the power vs. loading time trade-off makes more sense when you are dealing with larger fish, perhaps at greater distance (perhaps fewer in number). You need the power to reach & penetrate the bigger fish and the reward (in lbs of edible fish) offsets any additional time loading. Also, if you have shoulder problems/pain or similar injury/disability, 14mm bands might offer a welcome relief.

This looks like a really nice gun. I must update my old Beuchat 90mm gun this summer....but am not sure what to get yet?!

My 90 is very manageable & easy to load, however it lacks power (1x19mm band) at medium range & is not very accurate. I dive in crystal clear water so probably a 110mm with 2x16mm bands or so would be better...I might still keep my 90 to shoot under rocks, in crevices etc...but dont know about carrying 2 guns on each dive. Decisions...decisions...

Nice gun, the Omer Cayman range is excellent in my experience and provides guns for everyone, I have the opposite problem with regards range and visibility. The vis near me is normally poor at best so a missed shot would see the spear vanishing into the gloom and I am not comfortable with that, you never know what's there, probably nothing but you never know, responsible spearing and all that ;)

Nice gun, the Omer Cayman range is excellent in my experience and provides guns for everyone, I have the opposite problem with regards range and visibility. The vis near me is normally poor at best so a missed shot would see the spear vanishing into the gloom and I am not comfortable with that, you never know what's there, probably nothing but you never know, responsible spearing and all that ;)

I know that feeling!

I was spearing in murky freshwater with a couple of other buddies and we went in separate directions from shore.

I was swimming along the bottom sneakily trying to stalk Pike and then I see the bottom ALL STIRRED UP and I knew it could only have been from another diver! YIKES!!!!

Bolted to the surface and his float was nearby and he was in that area like :02 mins earlier. [emoji33]

I like a gun that shoots STRONGLY to the edge of my visibility. That's it.

If it's clear water... The longer the range the better, unless it a reef or hole-shot.

Reactions: Pinniped72
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT