• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I just came across the Omer Cayman Special Edition: http://www.omersub.com/eng/caymanse_eng.asp It has an interesting & unusual configuration: 3x14mm rubber bands...

...with Dyneema Wishbones (hooray at last!) & shark finned spear...

...also cool mimetec camo:

The 3x14mm configuration caught my eye. Occasionally (rarely) we hear of youngsters starting off with 1x14mm (for easy loading). We know that 2x14mm is a popular configuration in Hawaii, perhaps for the combination of easy loading + power (we estimated this configuration to be about the same as or v. slightly more than 1x20mm band) with a slight cost in additional loading time/effort. 3x14mm is new to me but I would expect it to be significantly more powerful than 1x20mm while being considerably easier to load (strengthwise/strainwise) although it will likely take almost 2x as long to reload (bearing in mind that, either way, the spear & spear-line are only reset once)

I suppose the power vs. loading time trade-off makes more sense when you are dealing with larger fish, perhaps at greater distance (perhaps fewer in number). You need the power to reach & penetrate the bigger fish and the reward (in lbs of edible fish) offsets any additional time loading. Also, if you have shoulder problems/pain or similar injury/disability, 14mm bands might offer a welcome relief.

You are probably right wrt the power part about Hawaii. I started my spearfishing journey there with a giude and we did a beach dive on a reef. The next day he sent me a photo of a 136lb tuna he caught on a deep blue dive. Apparently it took 3 spears to finish/retrieve.

To say i was jealous was an understatement

Lucky him, lucky you Yes, I notice spearos going after big fish usually have a second speargun nearby, often on a boat or held by a buddy. 3 spears/136lb, that is a "big day" by any measure. Mind you, eating tuna for the next x months might get tiresome

The above speargun caught my eye as I noticed it on sale currently: http://www.planetdivestore.com/dive/spearguns/spearguns/omer-cayman-special-edition/20546/72099/sc
I currently use & enjoy 2 Omer XXVs (super-slim, superlight) but the (newer) Cayman ranges have always struck me as interesting and innovative e.g. adjustable, constant tension trigger; optional ergo-grip; Omer XXV-style flexible muzzle option; aluminium/hydroformed aluminium/carbon(/wooden?)/3-D camo barrel options.

Yeah thats a lot of ahi poke thats for sure!

You dont just get that need on the south coast, i have been invited to florida for a sailing / spearing holiday and i ma need to stock up on a few more guns

After loading 3 bands I'd probably have lost interest or need a nap these days

This looks like a really nice gun. I must update my old Beuchat 90mm gun this summer....but am not sure what to get yet?!

My 90 is very manageable & easy to load, however it lacks power (1x19mm band) at medium range & is not very accurate. I dive in crystal clear water so probably a 110mm with 2x16mm bands or so would be better...I might still keep my 90 to shoot under rocks, in crevices etc...but dont know about carrying 2 guns on each dive. Decisions...decisions...

Nice gun, the Omer Cayman range is excellent in my experience and provides guns for everyone, I have the opposite problem with regards range and visibility. The vis near me is normally poor at best so a missed shot would see the spear vanishing into the gloom and I am not comfortable with that, you never know what's there, probably nothing but you never know, responsible spearing and all that

I know that feeling!

I was spearing in murky freshwater with a couple of other buddies and we went in separate directions from shore.

I was swimming along the bottom sneakily trying to stalk Pike and then I see the bottom ALL STIRRED UP and I knew it could only have been from another diver! YIKES!!!!

Bolted to the surface and his float was nearby and he was in that area like :02 mins earlier. [emoji33]

I like a gun that shoots STRONGLY to the edge of my visibility. That's it.

If it's clear water... The longer the range the better, unless it a reef or hole-shot.

Reactions: Pinniped72
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…