• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER EXCALIBUR 2000 75cm REVIEW

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Snorkel Bum

Absolut Escargot
Mar 26, 2004
As I have promised, a full review on the Omer Excalibur 2000 75cm. I would like to note that I am not affiliated with Omer in any way ( sadly :( ) Well, here we go!

I will cut this review into bits so it is easier to read…

Specifications:

Handle: Nylon with glass fiber
Muzzle: Nylon with glass fiber
Barrel: Aluminium 75cm
Shaft: Stainless Steel 6.5mm
Slings: Tope Energy 16mm
Wishbone: Short articulated

Looks

Well to start off this gun looks very nice. The muzzle and trigger are very small and smooth, not to mention jagged, giving a very aggressive look to it. Much like a sword or dangerous fish like a Barracuda. Not only to these looks kill, they have a purpose! The minimized shape of the muzzle and trigger make it easy to hold and manipulate in water.
This gun comes only in black unless you purchase a Omer mimetic gun, but that is something else. The gun comes in black with stickers saying Excalibur and Omer 75, which look nice but after a good using will start to slip away and get scratched, but maybe that is because I left it in the sun for a while leaving the glue to melt. This gun takes on everyday wear and tear, which you would expect from a gun made from Omer. Dings and scratches here and there but it doesn’t affect the overall performance since the whole shape of the barrel has not been affected. Just to note this gun has been abused a lot by me and hasn’t given way. All in all, great looks that have purpose, takes on abuse with no problems but the stickers do rip easily… not much a problem though

Functionality

This gun can be used anywhere you really want to, as long as it is in the reef. This gun can take on powerful fish in hole (Grouper) since it is just big enough to pack lots of punch to pierce through a big fish at close range. Also this gun can be used in open water, to an extent. Maximum range (to pierce a fish weighing around 2-3 kilos) would be 1.5 meters for this gun. For me the best things about this gun are the handle and the wishbone. The thing I like about the wishbone is that it is very strong and it is shorter compared to other articulated wishbones on the market (for example the Beuchat one). I don’t know why I like it shorter, it just looks better! Hahaha… The only thing about shorter wishbones to be careful about is to make sure that is well in the notch before letting go of the rubber because if it get loose, it will cause more damage than a longer articulated wishbone would do, I once cut off a chunk from my thumb, not nice. The special thing about this handle that I LOVE is the rigger mechanism and the actual rubber grip. The grip is very thin and can be handled by lefties and righties alike, very nice. If you hold this grip and then a Beuchat Mundial Elite you will defiantly feel the difference. The thing I like about the trigger mechanism is that it is so incredibly smooth. This is because there is a little roller inside somewhere, which keeps the pressure applied constant throughout the trigger pull. No more pulling the trigger hard and then throwing off the aim and missing the fish. It is also relatively light which either you love or hate, marmite style.

Reliability

This gun is very reliable, even through a LOT of abuse from me the gun has never failed on me. It has always worked. This gun is made to be abused. One thing which I would note is that if you hunt from the beach sand get in the trigger mech get easily stuffed with sand. I have had a few time where I found sand stuck in the trigger mech and I had to beat the living hell out of it by smacking it and trying to pull the trigger to make the sand fall out. Once this was achieved you wont experience any more problems unless you throw the gun on the sand and abuse it like I do. In other words this gun is good to you even if you treat it bad but if you over do it will cause a few problems

Overall Opinion
I love this gun and I will always have this gun with me…

Good:
Price
Trigger Mech (so smooooooooooooth)
Aggressive styling
Will take abuse

Bad:
Crimps (they oxidize quickly)
Slings (they should put the 18mm power bands… they are a lot better)
Stickers (gets scratched easily)
Trigger Mech (sand get in it easily)

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,056
Reactions: ahoyhoy239
Enjoy! Please give feeback because if you like this post I will do a review of the Beuchat Mundial Elite which I purchased recently

Reactions: T Ash
Good review!

Is your shaft bent or are you resting your tip on something in the 2nd picture?

i bought 75cm t20 because they don't come with 18mm bands, but today 18mm bands bent the tip of my 40 dollars worth cressi shaft, so sad. I think it would be better to go for 16mm bands for 75cm gun...

Anyway good review one point to add, spear rail on the muzzle helps lot to the accuracy;)

By the way your shaft seems to be bent too... I hope omer able to find unbentable ( excuse my english ) near future...

Maybe it just looks bent because of the camera's focal point?

I still don't know the difference between aluminum and carbon guns... would be happy to get an example based on the OMER guns...

Hi Michael,

Main difference bettewn aluminum and carbon barrels would be weight and stiffness.

Take a look at this post about barrel flex .

cheers,
Rui

The spear is bent because it is resting on the floor... Murat, I have tried the spear guide near the front and at the back... I much prefer it at the back because the slings dont hit it and make it go sideways...

Excellent review. Id go for 18's - you should definitely try and get another 1m absolute kill range on the 75cm.
Happy hunting mate.

I have 100cm omer alluminium (carbon barell) and 75 cm t20 (allu barell).

Despite of being longer my carbon gun tracks the fish better and more balnced than alluminium barell. Thats the main difference. But carbon barell is stiffer too.

nice review... :D

i have a OMER 110 Carbon Alum, AND a 70 Beuchat Mundial...

i like them both, just dont like the fact that rubbers are expensive for these euro guns... range from 24-35 bucks!! too much

I know, slings even over here in France (with big brands like Dessault and Beuchat) are quite expensive... They cost around 20-30€ depending on what brand thickness and length. Oh well.

but you don't change bands everyday aren't you? Even if you replace them every summer it won't cost much if you mind how much money you spent for other gears and even fuel will price higher that you spent to go spearfishing;)

Originally posted by Murat
I have 100cm omer alluminium (carbon barell) and 75 cm t20 (allu barell).

Despite of being longer my carbon gun tracks the fish better and more balnced than alluminium barell. Thats the main difference. But carbon barell is stiffer too.
So what's the advantage of aluminum?
Which cost more?

well actually... i ment the bands were more expensive here in the states... because of import tax, markup, etc.

im suprised they cost so much in france... cuz i buy 18mm in croatia for about 18-20 USD however here the same ones cost 34 USD!!

almost twice as much... :confused:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT