• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Omer Mimetic Line

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Is the Omer Mimetic Line overkill?

• YES

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • NO

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Roan
Mark Lab.,
Yes, the eyes! That's the next thing for me. I don't think those Med spearos are that eccentric. The fish here seem to be able to actually read my intentions through my eyes. Lately, because I have fish in my freezer, I'm passing up on a lot of shots. (I still bring my gun in case I see a W.R. calico or some other monster fish:D). I've had some close encounters with some med-large size calicos where I'm laying on the reef with no intention of shooting one and they'll just sit there and check me out. The second I start to think maybe I should shoot him anyway... he bolts. Is there a mask out there that hides your eyes a bit but does'nt cut down on the amount of light that comes through?

Yup :)
the (you guessed it) Omer Aries Mirrored :duh
They think of everything :)

Nice photo... I think the suits are a good idea for camo and also I think the camo guns are allright as well...
But it is just the snorkel belt mask rubbers (?!?!?!?) that are made camo... Thats what I think is overkill
I have an Omer Abyss Exclusive... with the tinted lenses, they are amazing goggles, no need for camo!
Oh well, everyone has a right to their own opinion :D

Hi Roan,

I've been using the Abyss Black which has been my favorite spearfishing mask for years. Low volume and good field of vision, it also came in a yellow lens version a couple years ago and another mirrored version but I just have always stuck to the clear.
I like the advantages of each, mirrored on the Exclusive to hide my eyes from the fish:cool: and the yellow tinted lens on the Abyss Yellow, but the mirror was a bit darker for diving in green or murky water which we do a lot of here. The Aries 45 is very low volume like the Abyss and it's comfortable but the yellow tint inside, like hunting glasses, helps brings out detail and outlines while the exterior of the glass is mirrored. I've only been using it a few months but the fishing I've done with it has been fun because the mirror attracts the attention of some fish like a flashers while still being able to look into a dark hole that's aided by the yellow tint interior. It's a new mask for me but so far it has worked well. I'm sure the mirror might scare some fish too so I'll make up my mind by putting it to more use I guess.

Have fun in the kelp, your diving looks like a lot of fun,

Mark

WARNING

Sorry fellas, I forgot to mention one thing. For those who might be faint hearted who don't spearfish, like our wives girlfriends or friends who go spearfishing with us sometime without the aid of a speargun...........................the mirrored lenses may not be a good idea in highly trafficked barracuda areas :D

Mark
ps-on the other hand it becomes more of a spectator sport if cudas and other harmless sea vultures are not your concern.

Originally posted by Mark Laboccetta
The Aries 45 is very low volume like the Abyss and it's comfortable but the yellow tint inside, like hunting glasses, helps brings out detail and outlines while the exterior of the glass is mirrored. I've only been using it a few months but the fishing I've done with it has been fun because the mirror attracts the attention of some fish like a flashers while still being able to look into a dark hole that's aided by the yellow tint interior. It's a new mask for me but so far it has worked well. I'm sure the mirror might scare some fish too so I'll make up my mind by putting it to more use I guess.

Mark, so the Aries45 is both mirrored & yellow-tinted? I like my Mantis amber-lenses(the one that Riffe's selling now), but if your mask has both... :hmm

Mirrored lenses are way cool and get a "two thumbs up" from the style police

now if I could just mirror my Bigeyes.... (sorry Mark - I'm omer head to toe but your Masks don;t fit me) :D

The mirrored Omer Abyss Exclusive is a great mask!!! I have one and it has helped me a lot. Definatly my favorite mask.:p

I havent tried a mirrored mask, are there any that may fit women? Obviously I would try before I bought but I wouldnt know where to go and try one in the North Wales area.
Any help?
Ali

Alison, Ive got a Omer Abyss Exclusive, have tried it out a few times at the end of last year (october) but seemes to make our sometimes murrky water seem even darker, would be good on a nice sunny day though. You can give mine a go if you want, u around easter time?? am in Bangor till monday and then back again easter Sat for a few days.

Roll on those Bass!!!

Few Plaice have also been caught on rod and line down the lleyn, so looking good for easter!

Dave

Aries 45

Mark, so the Aries45 is both mirrored & yellow-tinted?

Hi Fuzz and Alison,

The Aries 45 has the amber lens on the inside and mirrored purple/blue lenses on the outside. My wife actually started with the Aries 45 first last year when we went on a trip to Panama and she wanted a small mask that fit her face. I've kept my Abyss for so long that the mold on the inside from not cleaning it is a bit nasty to clean out ;) She uses hers for underwater hockey too and so after trying hers I decided I liked it. She has the clear one though since I like to be able to see her eyes since she's beautiful :eek: The field of vision seems to be about the same as the Abyss since the lenses are positioned closer to the eyes. With pressure the field of vision probably actually increases with the Aries 45 because being frameless with the lenses being the only hard part the rubber compresses the lenses even closer as the volume shrinks.

It weighs 145 grams, about 5oz, and it has an internal volume of 160ml at rest and 75ml at 20 meters (a little more than 60ft. All this talk makes me want to get in the water now!

Mark

which one do you preffer for hunting? Can you go to same depth with aries 45? What is the vision ratio of the abyss over aries 45 does it really worth to use 2 times bigger volume mask?

Sorry for too much question...:D

Hi, All!
I am from Portugal and have been hunting for the last 25 years )I am 38 now).

Answering Amphibious post just to inform that the suit that appears in the pic is the OMER Ocean Mimetic, and it exists in 3mm or 5mm.

The guy on the I think it is one of the Spanish champions - Perhaps Alberto March - but I a not sure.

It is a great suit. I myself have the other OMER mimetic suit, the MIMETIC MED, which is basically the same but the camouflage comes in browns and greens, instead of blues like this one.

Good hunting to you all. It is a pleasure to be here.

Spear
Lisbon, Portugal

Hiya Spear

Welcome aboard!!!:D :D Always good to have a fellow spearo join us.

I also have a 5mm Omer Ocean Mimetic, and the suit that the spearo in Amphibious's picture is wearing, is very similar to the Ocean Mimetic. The picture Murat posted clearly shows the additional padding on the butt :eek: . This padding is also on my elbows and knees. The picture in amphibious's post has no padding. Still looks like a wicked camo though!!!:D :D

I wish i could say that i've been spearing for 25 years. Wasted too much of my youth fishing with a rod :waterwork :waterwork If only i'd known what i was missing..............

Regards
miles:D

Hello Miles,

Thank you for your nice welcome.

Of course you are right, concerning the suit. I clearly missed the extra padding. Good point!

One question: did you already had the chance to see the new mimetic suit from OMER (the one that will be included in the Total Mimetic Line)?

If not, please visit the french site: www.chasse-sous-marine.com, choose "Material" on the left and then, in the middle: "Salons de la plongée - Gênes".

Would appreciate your comment on this (green) camouflage!

Good Hunting and Nice Regards

Alex

Hiya spear

Link doesn't seem to work:confused: Would love to see the new camo. Pretty sure it'll be good though.

Sounds like i'm going to have to spend some money again:waterwork

Regards
miles

Hello Snorkel Bum,

It is original, is it not? I spoke today with the Portuguese OMER representative and he told me he went to Italy to the Mimetic Line presentation and informed me that the neoprene is different (for better) than the Ocean and the Med camoufs.

I am waiting to know prices and it seems material will be available next month.

Good Hunting

Spear

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT