• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

packing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ivan

looking for deeper water
Jan 26, 2002
hi

last night i did some lung packing im very poor at it and my max is only 10 anyway I did some about 10packs 10times. I woke up next morning with a huge pain it felt like a kinife satbbing me in the chest and whenever i walked i had to lean my shoulders forward so it wouldnt hurt, i aso had a sore throat which i think was from the swallowing air in part. any one else had this?
and could i have done damage to my body.
cheers

be carefull

The rule number one in freediving is SAFETY!!! Safety for your life, other people's lifes and safety for your health in general.
I've just read two posts: one about spitting blood and this being the other.
People, be CAREFULL cause things you do can damage your health!!!
Ivan, packing should be done carefully, don't push your limits. It doesn't matter how many packs you can do. There is no competitions in packing!
The idea of packing is to have more air in your lungs than your diaphragm can get. But there are other things to concider. Your ribcage muscles needs to adopt as well as your ribcage joint and finaly your lungs needs adoptation! Be progressive in everything you do cause that is the only way...

Imagine someone who never ran more then 5 km trying to run a marathon! He can do it, but with long, constant training and progression.

Ivan, take a rest. Don't do any packs for a week or two. Then start with 2-3 packs. Increase the number of packs every few days. And stay fairly comfortable.

I have been doing packs for almost a year now and when I dry pack I don't do more then 8! Before a dive (wearing a wetsuit) I do 10 packs. Before static I do 4 or 5 packs!

As Jero says, packing can be an incredibly dangerous activity if not practiced properly.

We have had long discussions on this subject before in the Forums and I will try to dig up some material for you - however in the meantime - BE CAREFUL!

thanks guys

I guess I better be a bit careful and jero what your saying about progressing over time i hope that works for me I didnt realise I could do damage by packing well now I do thanks.

cheers

Ivan,
I am just concerned for the well being of Deeper Bluers (and every other freediver for that matter).
Progression in everything is the key to succes.
This is a specific sport where everything must be done with extra care.
Also, learn the value of good rest. If you have pain in your chest, don't do packs. If you had samba take a week off. If you're spitting blood after a dive take more than a week off. The body needs to rest.

Take care,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT