• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Paleolithic diet" and freediving >< problems?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Im still on a low carb high fat diet. It is great for everyday life, but my max dives are not as long as they used to be. Did You try loading up on carbs before Max atempts Lance?

I dont do a lot of max attempts outside of competition etc and havent even done that in over a year but I frequently train to failure on serial sets, and do deep serial dives for spearing.

I think I am fully keto-adapted though-I say that mainly because I seem to go in and out of ketosis very easily and quickly now, without the dramatic headaches, brain fog, and water loss that originally used to come with it, despite not being especially strict and eating carbs all through December.

I usually eat plenty of carbs before a day of spearing, and found that once I ate them, performance returned. I feel like I get some training benefit out of high fat/low carb diets (although not keto low carb, more paleo style... No sugar, grain, legumes) but for anything where performance matters I eat some pizza/rice/etc the day before.

The shift in lactic threshhold is kinda cool and anything to enhance metabolic efficiency has to be good... So basically I train low carb but would never try to compete that way. I had some of the best workouts of my freediving life after training hard on a strict keto diet, then carbing up (nothing excessive, just plenty of fruit and some servings of rice) the day before. Unfortunately producers cancelled the record attempt I had been training for so I never did a max, and because I had been training very hard ther is no way to isolate exactly what role the diet played, but training that way did not seem to harm anything.

I am in day to day pretty happy with a high fat diet (more or less paleo type stuff although I dont care about the whole grass fed organic thing); I have always done well when I ate that way but strict keto is just too much bother except for special circumstances.

Has anyone noticed an increase in resting heart rate while ketosis? Mine seems to be about 10% higher. Might account for the lousy dry static performance and be caused by the hormonal changes of ketosis?

Ketosis induced changes in blood volume and pressure could also be partially to blame.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've gotten from this thread so far is that ketosis might be beneficial because it increases the comfort level for low-intensity recreational diving, but probably won't help for setting records. This fits with the studies I've read about other endurance sports, particularly running.

As already mentioned, the most obvious problem is that if your CO2 production is reduced, and your O2 consumption is increased, the risk of BO is higher. Any thoughts on how to minimize this risk while still enjoying a decent amount of bottom time? Has anyone ever tried using a pulse/ox to come up with curves for O2 levels vs. time?

I'm trying to come up with a relatively easy and cheap way to study this. My thought is something like this:
1) Do a series of apnea walks at various speeds and durations.
2) Record the lowest O2 saturation after each trial with a pulse/ox (if all we care about is not blacking out, only the low point matters)
3) Analyze the average HR, total number of heart beats, time, and ending O2 sat to try to predict when the individual will cross some arbitrary threshold (which will vary from person to person).

Ketosis induced changes in blood volume and pressure could also be partially to blame.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've gotten from this thread so far is that ketosis might be beneficial because it increases the comfort level for low-intensity recreational diving, but probably won't help for setting records. This fits with the studies I've read about other endurance sports, particularly running.

As already mentioned, the most obvious problem is that if your CO2 production is reduced, and your O2 consumption is increased, the risk of BO is higher. Any thoughts on how to minimize this risk while still enjoying a decent amount of bottom time? Has anyone ever tried using a pulse/ox to come up with curves for O2 levels vs. time?

I'm trying to come up with a relatively easy and cheap way to study this. My thought is something like this:
1) Do a series of apnea walks at various speeds and durations.
2) Record the lowest O2 saturation after each trial with a pulse/ox (if all we care about is not blacking out, only the low point matters)
3) Analyze the average HR, total number of heart beats, time, and ending O2 sat to try to predict when the individual will cross some arbitrary threshold (which will vary from person to person).

There is going to be a lot of variance from hold to hold, and training will move the results around, and in my experience ketosis mainly effects dry dive response triggers so the test would not be reflective of anything but dry apnea walk.

For anyone training serious apnea it will be very, very difficult to isolate the effect of diet from everything else such as training adaptation and fatigue.

Played some flat-out (as centre, sprinting for each faceoff) UWH last night at 9:00-10:00pm.

My last meal (keto / no grainy carbs... Salad, olives / olive oil and 3 eggs with sprinkling of pumpkin and sun flour seeds) was at 1:00, with a handful of macadamia nuts around 4:00.

I had tons of energy and was as fast as ever, despite not having played in almost 2 mos (although the new fins4u K8 fins didn't hurt either!).

I felt like I was running the Ididarod!
It wasn't the performance nightmare I half-expected!
Hi, I know this is really old! But I am just interested in your opinion of the K8 Fins for UWH compared to the Breier Fins. Do you still have them are they good for competition? or is it better to make the effort and just get the Breiers?

Thanks for your help!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT