• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Panfish report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
More Pics from Today (5-14-07) WOOD LAKE

---------Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 213
the three pronged tip ripped a big chunk out of it breaking the fish in two or three pieces. (I couldn't find the head). The fish was only inches from the tip when I shot. I have tried it again subsequently, and at further distances it has now failed to impale the fish. 2 or 3 times the bluegill swam off. One was stunned and I grabbed it quick. I will have to continue experimenting, but I seem to have better luck with the singel point.

Brian~ When i shot them from above - there was less damage and they didn;t get off- I did have 2 swim off when i shot them from the side

--------Scott

Gene - yeah- they were huge! the Gills were bigger than my hand and the perch were 9-10" plus - There were some bigger ones in there too. Big Crappies but they are very skittish.

-------Scott

Sorry, not a panfish report, but possibly a way to get some new gear!

My company just offered a bonus to anyone who can find an HVAC Project Manager/Sales Person for the Madison area. So...if anyone knows someone...let me know. If they are hired by my company & stay on for at least 3 months (requirement of my bonus), I will pay you $1,000 CASH!

Company is J. F. Ahern Co. Largest Mechanical Contractor in Wisconsin.

Ask your friends, check around...Can Email me at gkuhns@jfahern.com

Thanks,

Gene

hey have you found any pepole from my area on here if so let me know cause you gave me a fever and now i want more

Checked out a smallish Walworth Co. lake today with my 20 year old son. Most fun I ever had pole spearin'. Between me & my son we took some VERY respectable panfish today.

We like to try different lakes all over. It seems we do pretty good sometimes...and on larger panfish to boot. Don't wanna take too many outta one lake. I can see where excessive spearing could be bad for a lake. Some days its just so easy - although I whiffed on a gargantuan crappie.
I've been doing this for a few years now - someone mentioned wounding fish - Hardly ever do I wound a fish anymore...You gotta only take the shots YOU KNOW you can make...Just like any hunting.
Only "rough" fish and "pan fish" are allowed - But is is cool to see all the gamefish - especially walleyes in lakes where people say there are none! I see that often. Nice day to be "in" the water - and it was an awesome father's day - will post pics of the days results later. We filled a gallon ziplock with fillets!!! YUM! :friday

Was out on Golden Lake today...Vis was WAAAAY down from 2 weeks ago. I could find the fish but I had to be 20 ft. down for the bigger ones. I can hang there for 30 or 40 seconds then I gotta come up. I did manage ONE nice crappie and a HUGE dogfish...The thing swam right up to me when I was on the bottom and toward the end of my breath - Whacked 'em in the gills & head with my 3 prong but he managed to flop off after I got'em to the surface...When I schwacked 'em he never moved. Thought I had an instant kill...Oh well, he woulda just been thrown in the dump anyways.

What the heck's a freshwater "dogfish"?

Vis is down everywhere right now- that's why I went mountain biking this past weekend instead. :) You need to head north to find clear water these days- or go out on Lake Michigan.

Jon

I believe a dogfish = Burbot (at least that is what we called them when we were kids).

Good eating I've been told - poor man's lobster. :p

Gene

They are very good eating if they're fresh- kind of like cod.

We always called them "lawyer fish" because their heart is so close to their ass. ;) Never heard it called a dog fish before.

How are the lakes up by you Gene?

Jon

:naughty The second picture is a Burbot (Lota lota - Scientific name) The first pic is of a Dogfish or Bowfin (Amia calva - Scientific name)...Two TOATALLY different fish. Burbot by the way ARE very good eating! Only a few lakes I know have them (Burbot) in Wisconsin.

I have been tempted to TRY to cook a Dogfish - But I hear they don't make good table-fare, unlike the Burbot which is Delishious :inlove cooked any way you want...even boiled! I boil 'em (the fillets) in crab boil spice & dip 'em in lemon butter!!! YUMMMMMMY!!!

Last edited:
Bowfin I've heard of.

Trout Lake, in vilas county, has burbot, otherwise we see them all over the shipwrecks in Lake Michigan.

jon

Thanks for the great info...I stand corrected.

Jon, I have not been able to go out for a while due to getting the in-law's house ready to sell.

I looked at Lake Winnebago yesterday & it seemed relatively clear. I am going to get up before work tomorrow & try it.

Bobby (my son) & I are planning on going Sat AM. I am possibly going to go to Green Lake...someone said the vis was 12' still...we'll see.

I will be going soon to Sheboygan & trying by the break wall...do you know of any other structure near there that may be good to try?

Gene

Interesting phenomona in Lake Michigan today that I hadn't seen before. I almost didn't go in because the water looked pretty cloudy. But I figured I had 5 - 8 feet of visibility. So I went in and found out that once I dove down 5 - 6 feet the water cleared up and I had visibility laterally of 20 - 30 feet.

Also, I am getting over a case of walking pneumonia but figured I was now up for a dive. I was in the water for over an hour with no problem, then suddenly on a dive of only 8 or 10 feet my nose hurt. I surfaced, the pain was gone, so I dove again. More pain. I called it a day and when I got out of the water realized I had a nose bleed. My sinues didn't feel stuffy until then, but... I suppose maybe they were and I had some sort of pressure problem? Any thoughts anyone?

I also found a dime. rofl

~Brian

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT