• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

PIKE, im maybe touching on a sore subject

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I thought the idea of a forum like this was to save time, now I had to go back a page and actually read something .... sheesh!

Spearfishing of pikes is legal in Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and a number of US states

In my area, rod anglers must now return all Pike live to the water. I don't think that was the case when I was a lad, although all other coarse fish had to be returned live.

Last edited:
Perfectly legal in Poland. Got a couple of nice ones just a few days ago as a matter of fact. One of the best tasting freshwater fish IMHO.

Last edited:
As long as realy fresh(withing hours) it is realy good
being from minnesota 14,000 lakes and tons of pike. my experience is that they get a weedy flavor in the summer. DNR has some research on this subject and i believe "off flavor" is caused by various aquatic organisms. in aquaculture it is common to first hold pond raised fish indoors to remove this off flavor before harvest.. we have musky which is similar to pike just bigger(average size in many lakes is close to 30lbs) ive eaten two that were badly hooked. one of which was actualy good. Lake michigan pike are supposedly limited consumtion due to various heavy metals, but due to fatty alewives forage are the most amazing taste, i would eat every one i could get my hands on.

Hi! Did you end up going out for Pike? I was curious what MN's stance is on spearing under ice... I know you can do the "dark house" thing, but do they allow spear fishing under ice as well?

I have done a lot of fly fishing for trout and depending on the owner/manager they sometimes don't allow you to put pike back, but most of these are fly fishing only fisheries, and there is debate about whether removing the apex individual causes more loss of stock that lots of smaller pike. A lot of fun on a fly rod mind :)

Out of interest I believe that the non tidal areas of rivers are out of bounds to spearfishing so by definition the tidal areas must be ok, however, course fish are not allowed to be speared. If you think of the numbers this is just as well in the UK, a small land mass, large population, if every angler or spearo targeted fresh water fish for the table the stocks might last a day................ ok, maybe 2 :D

Quite a lot of river estuaries have "bass nursery" restrictions too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT