• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pipin 170m attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by efattah
When the no-limits record goes over 300m, the constant weight record over 120m, and the static record goes over 10 minutes, then it will start getting really hard to break the records....until then everyone has a chance, and until then I don't think any record freediver should be idolized.

Always enjoy the terseness of your posts, Eric.

It would be interesting (and possibly entertaining), especially for the next generation of freedivers, if Deeperblue could program this thread to pop up 20 years from now.

And for what it's worth, I never idolize athletes for the numbers they produce. I admire and respect those who offer a positive contribution to their discipline.

Ted

Reactions: caymandiver
progression with depth world records will slow down dramatically over the coming years, in contrast to the pool disciplines.
you have the natural slow down in progression as we reach ever closer to the limits of what humans can achieve. but with depth disciplines you have the added factors of needing lots of money to handle safety and perfect environmental conditions. if you compare with running 10km... anyone can go to their local track and gym and train to run 10km with virtually no money - it's *extremely* competitive - and you really have to be the best in the world to win such a race. but with deep freediving, very few people in the world have access to deep water and reasonable conditions, and even fewer people have access to deep water and perfect conditions, and only a handful of people live near perfect conditions and have the time and resources to train for deep freediving. for those reasons, deep freediving will never be a particularly competitive activity (in terms of sheer numbers).
pool disciplines are a totally different story of course... anyone can go to their local pool and hold their breath or swim a few lengths. the higher number of competitors means that it will be MUCH tougher to be the champion and the performances should progress much faster, relative to deep freediving.... i think we'll probably see a 10min static before we see a 200m nolimits record....

I'm not sure I agree with Alun's idea. Several people (for example Trevor Hutton), have proposed starting up freediving training centres, in 'good-conditions' locations. The idea is that 10 or 20 freedivers pay $XXX for a week or two of training opportunity. The latest and most sophisticated DRUMS (with true rail descent lines) would be available as in water safety, plus paramedics on the boat. All DRUMS are inexpensive to operate, and when the cost of the boats/paramedics are divided among the athletes, the total cost of training becomes extremely small. If this type of setup were to become popular in the future, deep freediving would become far more competitive than it is today. Then, the costly scuba diving setup would only be needed for the actual record attempt and/or competition.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

i've not heard about this idea before - but it sounds good! i could see it working as a profitable business. i would imagine there is enough demand to sustain a couple of these centres right now.

i can see how sharing resources like that would certainly help make deep freediving more affordable... but the issue of geography still remains, to a degree...

sure, more people would have access to 'perfect conditions' but still only a small proportion of freedivers would have all-year-round access to these conditions - because of where they happen to live. all-year-round access to perfect conditions must become increasingly important as we edge closer to the limits.

everthing has a limit

--i think everything has a limit naturally speaking--maybe the future record we can get to 9- 10 ......minutes in static....the same way with the "no limit" maybe you go down to 200 meter o more but even there is a limit...

"I never begin my work in the morning without thinking that God perhaps He may interrup my work and begin His own"

G Campbell Morgan

saludos

Daniel..

Concerning human limits, let's remember that researchers have calculated that all mammals share the same minimum metabolic rate, and that at that rate, one huge breath would last about 6 hours. So when the yogis claim to hold their breath for 3 hours they are really only halfway to the limit.

Concerning depth & pressure, once the diver can exhale and hold his breath for 10+ minutes (not a big deal given the above limit), then I believe the limit in 'no-limits' is at least 1000m. Narcosis would not occur due to the exhale, neither would DCS. On an exhale, once the body is flexible, O2 is the real problem. Of course, all the sinuses etc. would need to be filled with water, which has already been done.

So my guess on limits would be:
Static: 6 hours+
No-limits: 1000m+
Constant without fins: 150m+
It is not really practical to estimate a limit on constant with fins, because it depends so much on the fin technology which will never stop advancing.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting the update about Pipin's attempt.
I've been following here to see how he does.
Good luck to Tanya!
OceanSwimmer

Pipin's attempt has been postponed for a very special reason....

LIGHTSTORM ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO LIFE STORY OF LEGENDARY FREEDIVING CHAMPION FRANCISCO ‘PIPIN’ FERRERAS,
FOR JIM CAMERON TO DIRECT

Cameron to Shoot Pipin’s Dive for the World Record in October

LOS ANGELES … Twentieth Century Fox has acquired for Lightstorm Entertainment the rights to the life story of legendary freediving champion Franciso “Pipin” Ferreras, for filmmaker James Cameron to direct. Cameron will produce with Lightstorm partners Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini. Judith Regan of ReganBooks, which will be publishing Pipin's autobiography, will serve as Executive Producer.
The planned feature will focus on Pipin’s relationship with his late wife Audrey Mestre, a freediving star in her own right who died last year attempting to beat her own “No Limits” diving record off the coast of the Dominican Republic. The "No Limits" category is the deepest, most extreme and most dangerous of all freediving categories.
On October 12, 2003 – commemorating the first anniversary of Audrey’s death – Pipin will attempt to match Audrey's world record descent in one breath of 170 meters (557.7 feet).
Pipin’s attempt will be witnessed and recorded by James Cameron. Cameron will use two manned submersibles to follow Pipin’s trajectory along the cable on which a mechanical device, called a sled, will carry Pipin toward the abyss and bring him back to the surface once the designated depth has been reached.
Commented Pipin: “It is a great honor to be part of one of James Cameron’s projects. My upcoming record attempt, as part of a tribute to the memory of my late wife Audrey, and his presence will be proudly appreciated and accepted with humbleness. I am looking forward to working with him and witnessing, close and personal, his great talent.”
Cameron, in addition to being a prolific writer and director, is also an underwater explorer and expert scuba diver. He shares Pipin's passion for and fascination with the ocean, and is a lifelong admirer of diving pioneers and icons such as Jacques Cousteau.
Commented Lightstorm’s Jon Landau and Rae Sanchini: “The amazing love and passion that Pipin and Audrey shared for each other and for the sea moved us all, and Jim knew immediately that he wanted to be the filmmaker who told their story. Although we'll never have the opportunity to meet Audrey, she still speaks to us through the legacy and loved ones she left behind, especially her husband Pipin. We're looking forward to working with him closely on this, beginning with our coverage of his October 12th dive in Audrey's honor.”
Pipin’s "No Limits" freediving record attempt is being offered for live worldwide television broadcast. This will be Pipin’s first such effort since January 2000, when he set a “No Limits" world record of 162 meters (531.4 feet), a mark subsequently shattered by Audrey under Pipin’s coaching. If Pipin matches Audrey’s final record, it will be the first time in the history of the sport in which husband and wife have shared the world record in any category.
Lightstorm also has acquired rights to Pipin's upcoming autobiography, to be published next year by ReganBooks, as well as a recent Sports Illustrated cover story, “The Deadly Dive,” by Gary Smith.

als found this too....

Vin Diesel interested in a sport movie/romance with J.Lo. and James Cameron himself!!

Twentieth Century Fox-based producer Barry Josephson has acquired the rights to "The Dive," the working title of the forthcoming autobiography from world champion freediver Francisco "Pipin" Ferreras.

Freediving is a burgeoning extreme sport in which participants zip hundreds of feet undersea after taking only a single breath of air, then race to the surface attached to a sled pulled by an inflated balloon. The sport is physically demanding, and in 2002 claimed the life of Ferreras' wife, female world champion freediver, Frenchwoman Audrey Mestre, then 27. Ferreras himself holds the world record for diving without bottled oxygen. In May 2000, the Cuban diver descended to an astonishing 531 feet in just over three minutes, roundtrip, near Cozumel, Mexico.

Story of "The Dive" will revolve around Ferreras' romance and marriage to Mestre, and her untimely death in October 2002. She died while attempting to break the world record off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

Production entities involving Vin Diesel, Jennifer Lopez and James Cameron have already expressed interest in the romance, which has been chronicled in Sports Illustrated and in the Miami Herald, among other pubs.

Regan described the duo's tale as "not just a love story, but one about pushing limits" -- noting that Mestre had suffered through scoliosis as a child and had been shaped by her physical challenges to push the envelope in extreme sports.

Last edited:
WOW!

Thanks Alun for this awesome update. This sounds awesome!! And James Cameron is the man for this movie! Since I read that story in Sports Illustrated, I have been fasinated With Pipin. I can't wait!!

Thanks again Alun!

"The planned feature will focus on Pipin’s relationship with his late wife Audrey Mestre, a freediving star in her own right who died last year attempting to beat her own “No Limits” diving record off the coast of the Dominican Republic. "

Seems like a pretty hefty price to pay for a movie deal.

regarding to.......

Originally posted by efattah
Concerning human limits, let's remember that researchers have calculated that all mammals share the same minimum metabolic rate, and that at that rate, one huge breath would last about 6 hours. So when the yogis claim to hold their breath for 3 hours they are really only halfway to the limit.

Concerning depth & pressure, once the diver can exhale and hold his breath for 10+ minutes (not a big deal given the above limit), then I believe the limit in 'no-limits' is at least 1000m. Narcosis would not occur due to the exhale, neither would DCS. On an exhale, once the body is flexible, O2 is the real problem. Of course, all the sinuses etc. would need to be filled with water, which has already been done.

So my guess on limits would be:
Static: 6 hours+
No-limits: 1000m+
Constant without fins: 150m+
It is not really practical to estimate a limit on constant with fins, because it depends so much on the fin technology which will never stop advancing.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Regarding whales,is very natural and science ackowledges that-The other thing your mention about yogis is spiritual...we have to recognize wich are the forces that control the earth and where they come from....almost always when i takl to people I let them calculate by themselves the measure of a power or a sing..

In ancient times the Egyptians opposed the israelites and didn't want them to be set free..Moses confronted the pharaoh and many signs were done in the midst of them.The Egyptians exercised their magic powers and made a rod to convert into serpent. Moses lifted his rod in the name of God Israel and a serpent came out and ate the one that the magicians had created and the story went on. At the end the magicians couldn't do more greater signs than the one God had done in the midst fo them.

A spiritual force could possess the mind of some people and they could do supernatural things supposedly very impacting in front of the eyes of man,such things as levitacion,adivinacion,and say that you could your breath for x amount of time,i have seen that with my own eyes...God warns us about the danger of consulting with certain type of spirits.

No all sings come from good nor exalt God

The signs God does never exalt the pride of a person,nor does it guide us to exentric or the spectacular
The singns of God are good and its prodigies brings us to repentance and to the knowledge of God's love

We can enjoy everything in a healthy way and have accomplished things as long as we understand the reason why of certain thing we live-in fact im enjoying myself now more than ever-so It doesn't matter wheteher we go 100 o 1000 meter we need to be sure that we need to reach the depth and width of God and that we run a race where lie promises in this life and the coming one......and our reward will be an uncorruptible crown.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Reactions: w3ac
Jeez, neshamah... give it a rest!

I feel awe and a sense of honor to have stumbled upon this sport of freediving. When I'm down @ 30' off Abalone Point just hanging out, however briefly, sharing that space with the bat rays, the octupus', the seals I feel in touch with primordial nature. A world before man. I'm also in awe of the sometimes mind-bending aspect of the experiences and research of the men and women exploring the science & physiology of this sport; their development of the mammalian reflexes(?) and their quest to go ever deeper and then share that experience on this website.

What I never think about when I'm down there is Moses and rods! How you can twist Pipin's 170 m attempt, the aquatic potential of humans and efattah's thought provoking contributions into an evangelical christian warning on what... demons? is so convuluted that it does not even warrant a response. But I'm in a grumpy mood today, so there you go!

Oh, and I'm not through. Your bad taste (and faulty logic) demonstrated by injecting religion where it's not warranted, your atrocius spelling and even worse grammar make you a poor ambassador of your faith on a website like this. Do you have a right to express your self like you do? I guess so. But again, give it a rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon
good grief.....

It is my observation that those on this forum who choose to pontificate the most, share the least information about themselves [in their profiles]. If you're going to piss in the lemonaide, at least don't do it from behind the bushes. Let us know who to thank for such wisdom.

Although I'm with Roan on this one (give it a rest fella), I won't reem anyone for posting their 'beliefs'. That said....Just try to stay in the vicinity of the subject :hmm.

Let's all try to at least keep the threads semi-productive. As CJB said in another strayed thread,"The world is watching....they are not impressed."

Oh great, now I'm guilty of posting "off the subject" :D
See what you started.

Ted

Reactions: Jon
Yogi's are not magician's and Yoga is not a religion.

When I have studied yoga in the past I have done so under the guidance of some people who were agnostic, and others who were devote Christians. People were encouraged to pray to whatever God they deemed fit. No one forced any specific religion down anyone's throat. We were all allowed our own personal choice to our own personal thoughts. I am sure that someone whose is better versed than I can give even more details into this subject. To get on here and babble on about something you, obviously, no so little about is is really getting to be annoying.

We all Know that you profess, time and again, to be some big Christian on these forums, but what the heck does that have to do with freediving? :confused: You've made your point, and we all know what it is, but "me thinks thou doth profess too much".

This whole thread was started because of a movie deal that may, or may not, bring some press to our beloved sport, although I am not sure that it will be the positive kind that will make our sport grow. :confused: Let's just get back to that topic and save the other stuff for your door-to-door ministry.

I am sure to get heaped with some bad karma for this, but I STRONGLY believe in everyones right to believe what they want and not be subjected to this constant onslaught. Believe what you want, pray to whomever makes you happy, and , PLEASE, let's get back to freediving. This place is sounding more like REC.SCUBA.COM everyday. That's too bad because this has been one of the most informative lists that I have been on and I wish to continue to do so.

Jon (Unitarian- nuff' said)

Reactions: Shadowkiller
neshamah (Daniel),

You have been warned before regarding your postings. Whilst DeeperBlue.net and it's staff respect any persons religion, the posts you are making have nothing to do with FreeDiving or the topics being discussed here.

Please refrain from making further such posts otherwise I will have to instruct the Mentors to take further action.

Hi

Hi Sepehan regarding my posting and as you say that the staff respect any person religion. I going to believed this is a personal warning for me and not for other..

if this is the case..the post that other people make too has nothings to do with freediving....what has to be yogi with freediving..could you explain that to me please?

Daniel

Re: Hi

Originally posted by neshamah
[Bwhat has to be yogi with freediving..could you explain that to me please?

Daniel [/B]

I'll give you 2 reasons...yogis, and anyone that practices yoga, utilise breath control, and in some methods they actually do breath-holding. Can you see the connection? An obvious one that could not be more clear I think. Many divers are curious about yoga because it can help them hold their breath longer.
One more difference. Yoga accepts your prophet and name for Allah, yours doesn't (at least not the way your portraying it- others might disagree).
Entiendes?
Erik Y.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT