• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Plastic lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I wanted to know if I make lenses at the optician with plastic prescription like normal eyewear.
Is this something possible?
Will it withstand the pressures? safe?
Like other plastic lenses mask for example the sphera mask.

thx

I can't see it working with the Sphera as it has curved lenses. So even if you would make a lens that fits, the view would distort when you look around with your eyes.

I have very bad eyes too. I just wear soft contact lenses icm a normal mask.

I'm not talking specifically about the sphera, there are makses that have the option to replace prescription lenses.
I wanted to know if plastic lenses like eyeglasses if I put them in maskes would it work like plastic lenses in the sphera or need special plastic that will not fall apart under pressure.

As you should be equalising your mask on your way down there shouldn't ever be enough pressure to do damage to the lens. Should you swim down without equalising your mask, your eyes would give before a hard piece of plastic would.
If you would dive into the water head first, then stuff may break. That's why masks with glass lenses have a warning sticker on them.
Plastic tears instead of shattering. So I guess it's quite safe to experiment. The plastic used in masks is polycarbonate, which is a very tough material, but unfortunately scratches really easily.

Still I'd say that contact lenses are a better option, especially when spearfishing. Glasses only bend the light correctly when looking straight through the center, so you'd have to stare down a fish to get a good look. With contact lenses you can pretend to be looking away and still keep track of the fish. A second benefit is that you can use masks with glass lenses, which gives a much more clear view than than plastic.

why if i would dive head first something bad can happen?

i have mares star ls with optical lenses of mares, i just want try to make plastic lenses be cause i can be more accurete about the plastic lenses because a opical made them.
i just wanna know if its can be any hazad on try it?
i saw the aqua lung made them plastic lenses from plexisol so i can try another plastic?

thx

Diving head first into water, I mean like the swimmers do, not like the diving we do, is about the equivalent of hitting your mask with a hammer.

But underwater nothing should happen really as the pressure inside and outside the mask should be kept the same. Search "equalising the mask". Of course, thin plastic bends easier than thick plastic, and bent plastic distorts the view.

Can a diy-mask break and hurt you? Probably. It's your own risk, and your own face, so make sure you stress-test everything extremely well before letting the mask even come close to your face, let alone use it in the water ar depth.
Also, unless you're very confortable in the water and under water without a mask, the mask can be considered as safety equipment, meaning: don't mess with it.

As for 'perfect vision'. In the water you will never have perfect vision no matter how hard you try and whatever gadgets you use. Floating particles, plankton, differences in salinity and temperature, the absorbtion of light by the water, etc. All those things limit or distort your view. For spearfishing, if you can see well enough to detect a moving outline on a similar colored background it's good enough. Detection by movement, contrast and shapes is what eyes are actually made for, reading small stuff far away is something humans invented and has no use in nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retto
I don't see why not. You equalize your mask pressure when you dive.

And Gopro housing is made out of plastic...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT