• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Polespears: everything you know

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
I never owned a polespear, never used it, never known anyone with a polespear experience. When I talk about polespears in Italy, people don't even know what I'm talking about: they think of those short hooks that children use to get octopus out of holes.
Now: real polespears, just like the ones they use in America. I'd like to buy one. But then what for, since I don't know exaclty what they are?
So: How do they work? (elastic bands on them...?). What's the range? Do they work only with dumb/confident fish? How do you compare the effectiveness of a polespear to a speargun? Is it worth spending big $$$ (I like the Manny Puig's) to have one shipped from America, or would it just be a useless toy?

Last edited:
Greeting Italian friend person,

Polespears were first invented by the Indus river civilization in 1949 - shortly after the aliens landed in Roswell New Mexico. They employ a hydrogen fusion/ramjet hybrid design which enables them to aquire transonic velocities underwater. Recently Science persons discovered fossils from the Jurassic era of giant primitive sharks weighing more than ten zillion hundred kilos with very advanced metal alloy spearheads embedded in their vertebrae. Scientists reason that alien pole-spears reached such high velocity they traveled backward in time.
Modern pole spears have microchips programmed to also clean the fish and make sushi and cappucino as well as coming in a variety of designer colors.

I've heard these are good: Home

Sincerely,

Frank Johnson - American

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Greeting Italian friend person,

Polespears were first invented by the Indus river civilization in 1949 - shortly after the aliens landed in Roswell New Mexico. They employ a hydrogen fusion/ramjet hybrid design which enables them to aquire transonic velocities underwater. Recently Science persons discovered fossils from the Jurassic era of giant primitive sharks weighing more than ten zillion hundred kilos with very advanced metal alloy spearheads embedded in their vertebrae. Scientists reason that alien pole-spears reached such high velocity they traveled backward in time.
Modern pole spears have microchips programmed to also clean the fish and make sushi and cappucino as well as coming in a variety of designer colors.

I've heard these are good: Home

1949? As I thought we, the italians, came first to it, just like as for any other great achievement of human knowledge.
This link is (seriuosly) about the 1932 experiments made by italian scientist in the Gulf of Naples. Unfortunately, alle the press and media were in the pocket of the speargun manufacturers' lobby, and the polespear scientist ended up to long sentences in prison or asylums.
Apnea Magazine - LUIGI MIRAGLIA, PIONIERE DELLA CACCIA SUBACQUEA

My Dear fellow Person whom also is Italian,

Of course, because you invented english so long ago you are allready having forgetted him; I will remind you. Secret people, such as myself, know that the Indus River civilization was started by smart persons from Atlantis (Italians)- who waited in the Tibetan Plateau until after the Apostrophe'; when the earth stopped spinning and chocolate frogs fell from the skies. After this they came down from the mountains and started Italy again in India. But when the contents drifted then pretty soon is becamed Michigan and Italy, which is both shaped like a hand and a foot, respectably, and where hexagonaria corals fossils are both found not like every other place else.

Thanking you in advance

My Dear fellow Person whom also is Italian,

Of course, because you invented english so long ago you are allready having forgetted him; I will remind you. Secret people, such as myself, know that the Indus River civilization was started by smart persons from Atlantis (Italians)- who waited in the Tibetan Plateau until after the Apostrophe'; when the earth stopped spinning and chocolate frogs fell from the skies. After this they came down from the mountains and started Italy again in India. But when the contents drifted then pretty soon is becamed Michigan and Italy, which is both shaped like a hand and a foot, respectably, and where hexagonaria corals fossils are both found not like every other place else.

Thanking you in advance
:inlove This can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :inlove

Vale,

Let's exchange emails. I grew up using polespears in the caribbean and now have my own line of Aquasub brand polespears designed by me and being manufactured in China.

Jim

:)

Attachments

• Aquasub.jpg
    Aquasub.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Holy crap Jim! You must be a reincarnation of Neptune; the Italian inventor of the underwater.

Holy crap Jim!
Same as Frank Johnson said: Holy crap Jim! I'll pm you.
Now one more silly question: I've seen the y sell poleaspears in different sizes: six ft, seven et cetera. Which is the length that compares to a 90cm eurogun?
And more: Can anyone describe the "act" of using a polespear (how do the bands work, do you shoot it loose or does it remain in your hand when shot?).

Materials
Sizes
Paralyzers and tips
Holding and aiming technique
Usefulness versus grabbing a gun
Etc.

All your answers and explanations via email.

:)

Below is a site that has a picture along with the description of how to use it. I hope it helps, it is really simple, just takes some extra grip strength if you have a large band. You shoot the polespear loose (release it completely). On the Manny Puig they have a double knot in the band so that your attached float line doesn't disturb the flight of the spear (something you can tie into any band).

I know nothing about the quality of these polespears. Foldspear - the innovative new folding pole spear

oh i love polespears. granted its all we are allowed to use here but i just find it more sporting.

Basically they are very very simple to use... but perhaps a bit harder to catch things. You may have seen all the links but i guess ill just jot down my opinions anyway.

Spear looks like this : <------------() the () bing the rubber loop.
Hand in rubber loop... pull up the spear so it streches, aim the point of spear and release, rubber contracts and spear goes. Unlike hawaiian slings and guns, the rubber is always attached (a legal technicality that greatly differentiates the lot).

as for effectiveness... rule of thumb from what i read and see is about 1/2 the length of the spear. Some go more, so go less, depending on size, rubber etc.
Because of this, you generally can just hold the rubber band when you let go.. helps a lot when the fish wants to run too (if its big).

It is a lil harder to catch things though i would think because you have to get much much closer to the fish. That being said, great things are possible as ive known a couple people who have gotten wahoo's wtih polespears (albeit big ones). Id assume they are less effective than a gun though, based on the range you can get with a gun.

Personally i love them. I really feel that im doing more stalking and what not than i would with a gun, but ive never used a gun so i cant really say definitively. Def not just a useless toy!!!

hope that helps

Last edited:
I hunt with a 6ft graphite polespear. I agree with what drunkinbda said about stalking. You have to get closer to the fish. I have never used a gun either. Albeit I just started hunting uw, but i love using my 3 prong. If anything I would encourage everyone to get one. It is a test of patience...

Thanks all.
I can't wait to give it a try: in a very short time from now I'll be a proud owner of an Aquasub polespear. Hard times to come for sargos! :martial

Let's exchange emails. I grew up using polespears in the caribbean and now have my own line of Aquasub brand polespears designed by me and being manufactured in China.

wow pole spearing must be very big in china!

Reactions: jimdoe2you
i agree polespears are good for the smaller fish up to 8 lbs or so. Now i am expermenting on the tips. The three prong with barbs works great for the smaller fish but i run into a big lingcod once in a while. I just tried a rock tip and that worked great for a 15lber is shot today. So i am going to carry a pouch around my neck and then with string tied around my waist so that it fits snug against my chest. When i see a big lingcod i will unscrew the 3 prong and screw on the rock tip (sharpened).
Man was it hard to hit the little 15" fish with the rock tip and when i did it puta huge hole in them, as they slid up the shaft of my pole spear.
I dont need to carry my speargun in a holster straped to my leg anymore. this is much easier.

i think i would have to agree with most of the post in here. i have been spearing with a polespear for over 5 years now. im a second year in college and i started as a freshamn in highschoool. i would have to agree with who ever said that it is a good thing to start off with and that it helps develope stalking skills and stealth under water. that was my biggest problem when i started off i would just dive down and chase fish around till i got close enough, (that rarly happend) then i read up on here that thats not what spear fishing was it was more of a hunt than a chase. any ways im getting off topic. yes the range is about half the spear. i have a 9ft spear and i usually try to get about 4-5 feet awy from the fish. its tough cuz they spook real easily, but you just need to refine your skills. truely i think its more of having to get acustomed to the under water environment and having it do the same to you.

long story short i woudl highly recomend starting off with a polespear. then time goes by and you feel like you have gotten to a higher level and want to try the spear gun try it out.

good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT