• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Polespears: everything you know

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i think that it's best to start off with a gun first because they have much better range and accuracy so it is much eiser to get fish. and then ince you have become a competent hunter move on to pole spears for more of a challenge. thats what I did anyway

yea i guess you can do it that way too. but then once you are getting bored of using a gun from shore dives you can always go out to blue water hunting. just to gain more of a challenge. then you have more aspects to try to train and develop such as free diving. i have never been but i expect you need really good breath hold abilities to go out blue waterhunting. shore dives are differant.

I think it all accounts on what you are hunting. I hunt blue rockfish mostly. They are 12 to 17" on average. They travel in schools and it would take to long to get a fish off a speargun and reload, never mind reloading when i miss. today was a typical dive i shot 18 blues with my polespear missed a few and nicked a few.
Once you get a polespear down its so easy to sue on fish this size. Big fish are a different story

I started with a pole spear and still use one up in the surf range. I believe it the best tool to train with for anyone attempting to become more proficent at our sport. It will hone your skills of your approach and stalking as you must get much closer to your prey.

As far as blue water game fish, they usually run much shallower than your average reef, shore and kelp fish.

Good Luck,

Joel

Hmm Interesting I Didnt Know About The Game Fish Fact. I Guess Its Ture You Learn Something New Every Day.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT