• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pool Pervert

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What would you do if you noticed a pervert in the pool checking out lady swimmers?

• Ignore it and focus on your workout

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Tell the lifeguard

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Tell the lady swimmer about it

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Confront the pervert

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Grab the guy and drag him to the bottom of the pool

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Complain or notify facility management

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

ZAquaman

Jan 22, 2005
What would you do?

I was working out at the pool today. The guy sharing my lane had a new snorkel kit. It looked like something you might pick at a discount sporting goods store.

I didn't notice this guy too much until the couple in the next lane asked if I thought he was checking them out... They thought he was acting creepy. They left the pool shortly after and another girl jumped in their lane.

Now my workout was distracted, I was keeping an eye on the guy and he "was" acting really creepy obviously checking out this girl as she swam. Timing his laps so he could shadow her.

I was getting really pissed off about this and wondering what to do about it. I felt like knocking his mask off and introducing him to the bottom of the pool! I stopped him at the end of the pool and had a brief disscusion with him. He denied the whole thing and the conversation got a bit heated. He left the pool shortly after.

My question to all of you is simply: "What would you do"? And to the ladies out there, what would you like someone to do if they noticed a pervert shadowing you durring your pool work out? And finally, has this ever happened to anyone else?

I'm going to try to make a poll here...

Reactions: naiad
Can I drag him down the deep end beat on him a little and the tell the pool managment.( some of my waterpolo skills would come in handy)

I have seen the odd creep down the pool and the poolies are very good at sussing them out and dealing with it, so its a good start to tell them to watch him.

i wouldnt beat on him unless you dont mind the assult charge that would go with it

When im doing the Static part of my training i always look at the bottom of the pool so people dont think im perving on them and get chucked out myself

Crusty

rofl rofl

that happened to me once here in a pool in Dubai. Fortunately (or unfortunately for the guy) he was only about NINE YEARS OLD, but old enough however, to stare at me under water using his mask.. he was even trying to stay ahead of me to see me from the front...

I swam close to him, pushed his head under the water for about 3 seconds, then brought him to the surface, and shouted in his face. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT???? WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHO IS YOUR MOTHER AND WHERE IS SHE???
HAVE SOME RESPECT... OK???

*sorry* he said, very meekly.
He played quietly in the corner of the pool for the rest of the day :D :D

Don't mess with the "Sander"...

rofl Sara you're awesome.

I've had the pool pervert experience. My friend and I noticed a little pervert kid following us around so we had a word with the lifeguards (two of whom were our sisters). An adult acted similarly another time. I'd go to the lifeguard or to management. Creeps like that don't have respect for me so there's little use in my confronting them. Usually.
I would LOVE it if someone sent jerks like that packing. Or chewing cement at the bottom of the pool...that'd be nice too. Use those mad waterpolo skills crusty. If you keep your hands up, there's no foul :D.

BatRay said:
rofl Sara you're awesome.

I've had the pool pervert experience. My friend and I noticed a little pervert kid following us around so we had a word with the lifeguards (two of whom were our sisters). An adult acted similarly another time. I'd go to the lifeguard or to management. Creeps like that don't have respect for me so there's little use in my confronting them. Usually.
I would LOVE it if someone sent jerks like that packing. Or chewing cement at the bottom of the pool...that'd be nice too. Use those mad waterpolo skills crusty. If you keep your hands up, there's no foul :D.

hey i don't take any cr@p at the best of times - especially from a young squirt!

I was once doing statics at my local pool when a lady complained to the attendant. She later berated me in the shower for being a 'horrible little man'. Bit of a downer as I wasn't perving at all. However, I've never been back to that pool.

[edit] Then again, as you can see from my avatar I do look like a bit of a perv lol

island_sands said:
hey i don't take any cr@p at the best of times - especially from a young squirt!

:D I wanna be like you. I'd just go tell the lifeguard.

crap Sara
Instead of a compliment the little guy was paying you, you probably
turn him to the gay side now.

Now we will have to be watching him in the mens locker room:naughty

just think you could have been the girl of his dreams:inlove

land shark said:
crap Sara
Instead of a compliment the little guy was paying you, you probably
turn him to the gay side now.

Now we will have to be watching him in the mens locker room:naughty

just think you could have been the girl of his dreams:inlove

or the mother of his dreams.. he was only 9! (perhaps he was thinking about lunch at the time) :D

In the old days I used to train in pools, and I would do dynamics (face down) on the bottom, swimming under anyone in the lane (pool was about 8ft deep). Although all I could see was the concrete at the bottom of the pool, some women hated having anyone swimming below them, thinking he was going to check them out or 'come up' right underneath them. These women would complain to the lifeguard and I was told to leave on several occasions. I should have sued for discrimination. Had I been a woman there would not have been a problem.

Gee, I'd better watch it next time I go down to the pool.
My underwater binoculars are a dead give away.

I have only once encountered a pool pervert. I was swimming at my local pool, and had stopped in the shallow end for a rest, when I noticed a guy swimming towards my end of the pool. He was floating face down, making slight random movements. The overall effect was like a stranded squid.

I was staring at him in disbelief, trying to decide whether to laugh or call the lifeguard, when he reached the side of the pool next to me and noticed I was looking at him. He probably thought I was admiring his great swimming style, and so he started talking to me. The first thing he said was "The doctor told me to go to the gym, but I go to the pool instead." Great chat-up line. Maybe he got thrown out of the gym.

Soon he started making rude remarks, so I decided to ignore him and carry on swimming. I was resting at the end of the pool, this time at the deep end, when I saw him approaching from the shallow end. I sat at the bottom of the ladder holding my breath, in the hope that he would reach my end of the pool and turn, then I could surface when he was facing the other way so I wouldn't have to talk to him. Unfortunately I hadn't reckoned with his swimming style. As I saw him progressing along the surface, like an inverted slow-motion Jaws, it dawned on me that he would take at least 6 minutes to cover the 30m to my side of the pool, and my static time isn't up to that. I had no choice but to surface as he was reaching my end of the pool. This then became a talking point, as he had noticed that I had just held my breath for '5 minutes'. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't that long, but desperate times call for desperate measures.) He started making offensive remarks again, so I started swimming in a different part of the pool and left soon.

I saw him a few more times, and he didn't try to talk to me again. He soon stopped going to the pool, and I haven't seen him recently.

Looking back, maybe I should have reported him to pool staff.

Lucia

One day, I was at my local pool, I wanted to get a bit of practice doing statics with compressed lungs (by going to the bottom of the 10 foot pool). I was annoyed by my constant moving with the currents, so I borrowed a weight that they use for training (the brick thing). so I was on the bottom in a crouched position, my head pointing somewhat down, but occasionaly I would look around to make sure I wouldnt hit anyone on my way up, so I could be prepared and not have to wait for people to pass. I was wearing shaded goggles (I never do that anymore) so it was hard for others to see what I was looking at. after looking around I was staring up as some girl was directly above me, and i had to wait until she would pass. so i had to wait like 5 more seconds, to help make concentrate I just closed my eyes and looked down.

suddenly out of nowhere a punch comes flying in my face just as I open my eyes. I grabbed the guy, twisted his arm and he let all his air out, I kept him on the bottom and with him now taking in water I threw 2 punches at his stomach and ribs, and after he kicked me, so I flung the brick in his face. :D

I brought him up (unconcious of course) and got the life gaurd to pull him out. after a few minutes he woke up (and got the water out of his throat) he explained that he thought I was watching the women, and that he didnt know I was training. no charges were pressed as he hit me first and I agree it was discrimination. the life gaurd actualy promoted the idea of him puching me, so in order to not get fired he got me a months free pass to the pool, YEEHAA. as for the guy, I talk with him now and then, hes pretty cool.

learning from his mistakes, I would not punch someone without prior conversation (and definately not underwater)

Wow!

I haven't thought about this sort of thing in ages....It doesn't occur to me either way: to do it or to look for others doing it!

I'm not sure what my reaction would be - I'd probably find it amusing up to a point - it depends on the 'intensity of letching'. If it was more than an occassional glance I would probably find it a bit pathetic and if more serious I would propably point it out to the lifeguard and the letchee.....but I wouldn't confront the letcher on my own as there isn't enough 'evidence' from one person's observation.....I'm quite suprised at some of the testosterone-tarzan fuelled approaches above! Sorry chaps!

BUT....would I be 'concerned' for the ladies - probably not - as looking isn't a crime......is it? The only thing that would concern me if it it was sooooo obvious that I would actual fear that the creep might 'target' his 'selected' lady.....

I'm talking about adults here.......I have to admit to a bit of pre-adolescent letching in my formative years........so Sarah ,that 9 year old could have been me........

:inlove

:chatup

rofl

I'll never forget when I took the whole family on vacation to Dubai, it was kind of a reward for my son who had just won a national prize for outstanding acedemics and integrity. I had just bought him a mask and was teaching him about diving. I told him that I learned by watching and emulating people that look like they knew what they were doing in the pool.

He found a person that was quite a good swimmer, and using the same great observation skills that had made him the academic prodigy he was, he watched intensely.

Unfortunately, the swimmer swam close to him, pushed his head under the water for about 3 seconds, then brought him to the surface, and shouted in his face, "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT???? WHAT DO YOU WANT? WHO IS YOUR MOTHER AND WHERE IS SHE??? HAVE SOME RESPECT... OK???"

........................after this happened his grades went down hill, he is now afraid of the water, and my wife thinks he might be gay.

My question: What kind of a person would do such a thing to an eight year old boy?

jimdoe2you said:
My question: What kind of a person would do such a thing to an eight year old boy?
Only a cruel heartless person could do such a thing, Jim you have my sympathies, this is just terrible! Poor poor boy!

My son who has autism used to be fascinated by the backs of peoples knees.
ONce in awhile young ladies would think he was checking them out - they all got a good laugh out of it as he was only 8 years old. Noone was ever unkind to him about it.

In a pool I would think it would be enough just to tell him to knock it off - kids get locked into stuff without really knowing what they are doing - a little reality check to help them remember themselves.

Nice response to the underwater assault - must have some training there Superhornet.

It's one thing when it's a little kid, but even some of them need to be reprimanded. It's quite another when some creepy guy is really obviously perving. Since most of us on this forum have more of a diver, we can tell the difference between a diver practicing statics and a weird floppy squidlike swimmer.
Discrimination... I think they just don't know any better. In some cases, it may be wise to tell the lifeguard what you're up to before you start practicing. It's likely that many of them have never heard of freedive training. Besides, how often do you see women blatantly wearing snorkel gear and checking out the men? I really don't know; that's why I ask :D.

Fondueset said:
Nice response to the underwater assault - must have some training there Superhornet.

actually your right, when i was a bit younger i wanted to go snorkelling with my dad, of course i lacked my down time. but one time we saw sharks, and they were pretty frisky, so one day i decided i would learn and practice how to kick the cr@p out of a shark :ko . the day never came, but since then ive had good oportunities to sharpen my skills :D. but you anti-testosterone guys are right, especialy Ben Gowland, your totaly right, how can you know what im up to from one perspective.

I must say some of the best and most ridiculous parts of my life took plac in the water :D

oh and if people dont know what freediving is (or how to spell it for that matter) then how can they know if im doing it? its not theyre fault, but it is slightly ignorant. no matter how hot the woman, i wouldnt stay underwater for 5 minutes to watch her... at least not witout saying hello :D

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT