• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pool Workout

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
Hey All

I'm looking for a good outline of well rounded freediving pool workout for a beginner that will touch all bases in the pool and allow for extas to be added as the skill level increases. I know this is asking alot but I'm sure there are alot of idea baking out there in the blue play ground

BladeRunner

BRunner, my pool training is nothing special, but here goes.
I swim for an hour , 3 times a week or more.
For dynamic training, I do my yoga, then do 3 breath holds to 30 or 40 contractions, with the amount of breathe-up time being the same as the previous holds time. If the last hold was 5:00, then I breathe up for 5 minutes, then do my dynamic attempt. That's it.
Then swim with the monofin for a half hour at the surface, on my side, alternating sides each 50 metres. Then swim with no fins for a half hour.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
pool workout basics

I have a suggestion for pool training:

the idea is to do a cycle workout, this means increasing progressively as you reach your peak, then mantain a plateau and then decrease intensity. this is a cycle that can be repeated every 3-3 months. basically is something like this:

can be done 4-5 times x week. 1 and a half to 2 hours:

1. pranayama exercises for 15 to 20 min (puraka - kumbaka - rechaka, this means inhaling - retaining - exhaling) on a 1:1:2 ratio, after a while you can do 1:1:4 or 1:2:8.

2. stretching: upper and lower body. 15 min

3. Tubaric exercises: for 5 min. can try different methods, frentzel technique, BTV, etc. press the tip of your tongue against your soft palate, open and close your mouth, bring your lower jaw forward, touch your nose with the tip of your tongue, stick your tongue out and move it sideways. all theses exercises improve your tubaric function thus helping to equalize easier. especially recommended when training in cold water. not necessary for pool training but is a good idea to get used to them when you are going to practice deep dives.

4. lap repetitions:

a. swimm for 10 minutes freestyle
b. swimm for 10 minutes with fins and snorkel at surface
c. interval apneas
- 10 reps 25 mts each dynamic apnea at the bottom with 45 sec rest in between
- 10 reps 25 mts each dynamic apnea exhaling as you perform the exercise (the idea is to exhale troughout the whole exercise) 45 sec rest in between
- 10 reps 25 mts maximum velocity dynamic apnea at the surface with 1:00 min rest in between
- 10 reps 25 mts maximum velocity dynamic apnea at the bottom with 1:00 min rest in between
- 5 reps 40-50 mts dynamic apneas at bottom normal pace. 1:00 min rest in between

as you perform these exercises you will improve your CO2 tolerance so you can increase distance first (from 25 to 30-40 mts) and then decrease rest time (from 45 to 30 sec). you can also combine exercises. for example try doing the dynamic laps without fins.

hope this helps,

It helps alot thank you very much for the time you took to type it up for me.

Can you explain in a little more detail about the pranayama exercise ratios to me.
I'm not familiar with pranayama exercises. thank you again:)

hi

geeze you guys must be fit I thought practicing 3 dry statics a day would get me there.

cheers

homodelphinus, thank you for your comprehensive pool workout
i have one question, in the dynamic part of the workout, where you do the 25m and then a rest, do you use fins or not>?
my workout was similar, but after 25m i needed atleast 1:15 to be able to perform the 25 meters again, this is without fins

thanks

reply to vincent and bladerunner

to vincent:

i do them both ways, obviously without fins is harder but i have discovered that mixing these exercises gives better results because you train different group muscles. for example when you do them with fins you do a lot of leg workout, instead, when you do them without fins you use a lot of upper torso muscles (arms, deltoids, chest and back) depending on your tecnique.

to blade runner:

pranayama is only the beginning of a series of workouts that can help you get into meditation, yoga, etc. pranayama is the basic, breathing is essential to every activity whether is diving or something else. it helps you relax, get focused and oxigenate your whole body.

puraka means inhalation
khumbaka means retention (holding your breath)
rechaka means exhaling

example:
basic breathing exercise:
1:1:2 means that for every second you inhale, you hold your breath i second and then exhale for two seconds

if i inhale for 10 seconds, then i retain for 10 sec and exhale for 20 seconds (1:1:2)

as you get better you can go 1:2:4 or 1:4:8 even more, the limit is you. the idea is to feel relaxed not to feel anxious or tired, if you do so try not to force yourself. the best way to know you are doing it right is to check your heart beat before and after the breathing session, usually when you´re done, if you are relaxed enough, your heart rate slows down.

tips: you can do them laying down on your back or sitting in the lotto position (legs crossed on your tighs). i recommend sitting position because that way your chest moves freely. try doing the breathing with your eyes closed, it helps you concentrate on the breathing.

Thanks guys for keeping the post alive! i´ve learned a lot of things this past week.

hi thin air

I tried pool work outs for 1 week but got bored but this is what I did this is dynamic without fins.

27m come up 20sec rest 27m etc did this 12 times

5 to 7min rest

36m come up 30sec rest etc12times

5 to 7mimn rest

45m come up 50sec rest in between

I hope this isnt to hard to understand

cheers

It was a busy week. Only thirteen showed up for the Aloha State Games. One group was off to California for the spearfishing nationals and another was competing in the Pacific Games. There were a few medals given away just for competing, thank you.
Interesting competition, one diving buddy exceeded the female US dynamic distance and another (DSV here) was caught within 25 seconds of the US static record, in competition yet.
The most amazing performance was Sonny Tanabe, who swam in the olympics (Melbourne in the 50s I think), after a training schedule consisting of one broken leg and four days diving in the last two years, managed a very clean 75 meter dynamic to best the entire under 20 crowd. When he taught three generations of Hawaiin swimmers, divers and spear fishermen, he must have paid attention.
My turn to brag. The training was not going well (no improvement) and a few weeks ago I asked for help, here. After a few e-mails and some review to no avail, David Lee took some time out of his busy life to help an old man. A few tips on technique, training, position and especially warm ups from David and I added about ten meters to my dynamics. It is just fantastic to be able to talk to champions and forum managers like Erik. Thanks Deeperblue.
Aloha
Bill
P.S. Just answered the door bell. Nice young man gave me D3. Now I have an excuse to go diving.

Originally posted by Bill
...P.S. Just answered the door bell. Nice young man gave me D3. Now I have an excuse to go diving.
Send him my way if he has an extra one... ;)

I'm very new to this post. When you all talk about the contractions, could somone elaborate more details on that for me. I grew up a s a swimmer, and can comfortably do 75m under water in a pool. But as I extend to greater distance, how do I go past the first contraction. I've been told the a contraction is that first feel when you want to breath. Could someone help me in going past those contraction. I would like to go well beyond the 75m in the local pool.:) Look forward to hear from you all.:cool:

hi

Is that with fins or without dude thats pretty good, when doing dynamics I dont notice contractions I dont even know If i get them but in static I get them and it pretty much ruins my breathold its kind of like your throat hurts well thats how it feels for me anyway.

cheers

That would be with my monofin. I just started on working on underwater laps earlier this year. I just go until I need to take a breath. Just have not been showed the ropes on how to go further than that.

Hans

hi

Thats when i come up to when i just need to take a breath I wouldn't push much further until someone with more info helps but I know people have pushed to far in dynamic cos they werent getting contractios and thought they have to push harder until they get them I dont get em either but coming up when you most feel you need to is a good idea until someone with more info on contractions can help

cheers

OK - all this talk of contractions..... (I would have been on this thread faster - but feel in love with sidemounting :D )

I've been doing "Static" work for a couple years - no training - 4:45 PB. I've Never had one of theses "Contractions"

Doing 65m - 75m Dynamic w/fins

25m dynamic - 10sec pause, 25m, 10sec, 25m......

you get the Idea. I get a good head rush - but never a spasam/contraction.

Just lucky maybe?

Willer

Anyone out there that would like to help us in pool workouts.

We would love to have someone give us some suggestions on how to go further in dynamic training. So far, all I'm trying to do is to relax, relax and relax when I'm under water. I have been trying to get more efficient in my kick while trying to go further.

I'm almost going 100m, but no sugars yet. I would love somday to be aboe to reach the 200m distance, but will need help on that. Any suggestions on how to breath, etc...

I'm really enjoying all this and having lot's of fun. Sure wish I could of been born with gills.:)

O0ps, forgot one more thing. I heard of some apnea table that has been put together, similar to the diving charts. Anyone know anything about that. I would love to have one of those to help me in building me CO2 tolerance. Right now I do the following sets and would like to know of some better ones.

10 X 25m on 30sec intervals
5 X 50m on 2min intervals
1 X 75m with three min rest
5 X 50m on 2 min intervals
1 X 75m with 5 sec rest then a 25m to finish it up

any better or more challenging workouts that someone vould publish?

Dymamic duos

Firstly I like to buddy up with some one and follow each other on the surface. I also feel a lot safer when doing exhale dynamics. This is where I fully exhale and then 'rock climb' along the pool tiles on the bottom of the pool. When I feel the hot flush I raise one finger to let the person on the surface know where I'm at and the 2 fingers when the warm floaty sensation becomes so intense that I am no longer able to be with it and my mind start to wander. I'll let my self stay in this distracted place for a little while and then very gently surface and breath, hold and then give my buddy the ok. With retrospect I examine the 'distracted' phase so that next time that level of sensation will be more familiar. I 'rock climb' along the bottom so as not to get too much lactic acid in to my legs, (???) means that I don't get to cold from long statics and shortens the recovery time ( as compared with swimming for the Exhale ) before I breath up for a dynamic attempt. I think a shorter recovery helps me stay with the dive reflex and bradycardia that occurs in the exhales. I have found this to be very helpful, relaxing and focusing. I've been doing this for about 7 months now and stuck on 75-85 for allot of it. This is what helped me make 100 and a bit a while ago. The 'Holding contractions' and 'Switching from mental to physical training' threads helped allot too. Thanks guys.

Hope that helps.
Jas

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT