• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Poseidon Equipment????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Johnspear04

Mar 7, 2004
I am looking to purchase some equipment to dive the wrecks and rockpiles in New Jersey in 30 to 130 feet of water and I need some advice about equipment. This past weekend I went to the local dive shop and the owner gave me a deal on some Poseidon equipment that he used only six times the previous year. This equipment include the Poseidon BESEA BC, Xstream regulators (one reg is set up for a pony bottle), and the Suunto Cobra dive computer with compass. this includes ALL equipment except tanks. The price he gave me was $2,180 (before tax). The equipment looks brand new and was used by the dive ship owner. I guess the question I am asking is, is this a good deal? I was also thinking of picking up some equipment from eBay and putting my own rig together since I am mostly a free dive spear fisherman and most of my time is devoted to that. Not to mention I could save a lot of money. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help,

John

I can`t tell if that is a good price or not . The Xstream is the new one isn`t it??

What I can say is Poseidon make great regs in the Cyclon 5000 and Jetstream.

RRP of the cyclon and J/stream in the UK is around £300.
There was a place which is still about which sold them new for £147 inc. Vat

That gives an idea of the markup.

The Xstream is the new regulator of Poseidon, and it is a good regulator. I had a DM diving with me once and he dive the full Poseidon house… Xstream and BC W100 setup. He believes it is the best equipment. I personally dive with AquaLung regulators and have a LLL BC. I haven’t had any problems.

The Cobra is a nice dive computer for an air integration setup on a console. I had one with the “quick release” connection, which was nice. I prefer to have the computer on my wrist, so I sold it. You might want to have a look at the new Vytec DS if you want your cylinder pressure shown on the dive computer and not on a SPG. The Vytec DS include deep stop algorithm, as all the new computers does…

So to answer your question, I think it’s not a bad deal. Make a few phone calls and see what another dive shop will quote you on the same equipment. Then decide. :confused:

Hey Johnspear04,

My advise is buy - do not look at the price. Poseidon is a great company. I am diving with Jetstream - you have air always when you need it. Also the design allows you to swim against the current without affecting the air flow - try a normal reg against a strong current.
I agree that poseidon releases a lot of air but going deep you do not feel any difficulties breathing. I would not advise you to compromise the price - down there you really want the best. I do not use the poseidon BCD but the opinion in our comunity is not very positive. So get the regulator. But buy a new one - you neve know how the previous owner has cared about it, and this could be vital.
Regarding the computer - well - UWATEC - good software and easily visible under the water with big figures.

Try scubastore.com - they offer the best price around the world. There you can compare the prices. they have some of the lowest

best regards

I agree with "tdiving”, have a look at the UWATEC range of DCs. I have one and have no problems (including the DC’s own software). rofl

Regarding the Logbook software that comes with the DC, I have to confess, I believe the Suunto package is better (or maybe, I haven’t figured out how to print the SmartTrak dive logs correctly). The downside to getting the data to your PC is that you have to buy a cable for the Suunto DCs… the older computers use a different cable (with serial port) and most laptops/notebooks do not have serial ports anymore. I am not sure about the latest range of DCs from Suunto (USB ???). The UWATEC DCs use Infar Red, easy, no cable, and all laptops/notebooks have IR.

I do not download the log book - but yes it is very easy with the IR port. And also you can change the config of DC very easily. I have a friend to tested it at 120m and it still continue to measure the depht - so you can use it as a second spare depth gauge if you do deep dives
Otherwise there is nothing better than VR3 for deep and trimix dives. and Cohran, but they are quite expensive

I just figure out that i do not have an IR port on my new laptop. And i just bought the bloody thing a month ago

Last edited:
Just remember anything posiden is a pain in the ass to find parts for. non-standard hoses.

also, most of their regs ar upsteam valved.

they are also very over priced. not a fan. check out the Apeks or Scubapro kit.

have been using a Suunto Vyper for a few years now. owned a cobra, got rid of it. much nicer to have a computer wrist mounted.

Just remember anything posiden is a pain in the ass to find parts for. non-standard hoses.

also, most of their regs ar upsteam valved.

they are also very over priced. not a fan. check out the Apeks or Scubapro kit.

DITTO

Hiya, that is not a bad deal but u can complete your set much cheaper than that with another brands..
For the reg., poseidon and apeks always attracted me in my early years in scuba. Coz of, I was seeing in magazines and videos, most of cave diver's using them. And, when I got a chance to try first time, it didn't impresive me a lot. Yeah, it is still good reg. and they proved their quality over years..But, for being US, it can be a problem to find spare part like above stated..Also, apeks known tend to free flow but not a big deal still good reg..
For the computer, I am fan of wrist comp too, but my uwatec is so sensitive and sometimes even small arm-up movements in ascent, it is beepin.. :) But, I glad to have...
Cheers,
Burak

The IR dongle for UWATEC is a USB. I have no trouble with the software except winbows 98 keeps kicking out my drivers now and then. But thats a Windows problem.

jim

yeah, i think the poseidon equipment is way over priced. when your life, and those of your students might hang in the balance, i find that there are a few items you don't skimp on. unlike some of the others in here, i never really liked the uwatech wrist computers. there's nothing major wrong with them, but i find a lot more function and comfort in the suunto's. i have a suunto D9, and it is worth every penny! it is the perfect dc. as for reg's, there isn't a company out there that make's a better reg than atomic. the atomic T2 has the highest test rating of any reg in history, both in the lab and in the water. when scubadiving mag. took the so called muscle reg's down deep, the T2 blew everything right out of the water. at a depth of just about 91 meters, the T2 had a breathing efficiency rating of 90.8, the highest score of the group. the poseidon xstream deep 90 was one of the lowest in the group barely making a rating of 75.0, the lowest of the group. atomics cheapest reg's the Z1 and Z2 blew an 81.5 and an 87.2 respectively. so if the T2 is a little out of your financial neighborhood, then the B2 or Z2 are almost the exact same reg, just without as much titanium. every single reg in the atomic stable has received perfect scores across the board on the multiple test that different groups have put them through. do you know another company who can say that?
bc's are a little different. different people, with different bodies have different requirements when it comes to a good vest. so, here i would recommend that you try several before making a choice. the one thing i can tell you, however, switching to an integrated air bc was one of the best moves i have ever made. the inflator hose is antiquated, and it will soon be left behind. the integrated air button fill and release is excellent, and really adds to the enjoyment of my diving. finally, the scubapro or atomic split fins are excellent. they are very comfortable, and both have great power and control. i hope this helps.

Last edited:
you pretty much just made a list of all the dive equipment i hate and have major safety concerns with :D

how can you hate atomic regs? they are made with the best parts, and consistantly achieve the best ratings on every test! how can you hate suunto, they lead the sporting computer industry, in not only diving, but in several other sports as well? please back up your opinion with some detail and facts.

I will never use titanium regs, for EANx issues.

Scubadiving mag.. well that's a report and not personal experience. Atomic probably paid for that survey to be published.
Poseidon are great cold water regs - recommended by loads of divers but servicing them is a pain and also parts.

I saw more atomic regs leaking/pissing air when i worked in Cayman than divemasters drinking beer! :D

Scubapro hasn't let me down yet, neither has my old Aladin pro. i also have a D9 which i am really happy with.

i hate those integrated air B.Cs, they are becoming fashionable here in dive shops, especially the Mares one.. and people fumble with them like a game of marbles. Gimme the inflator hose anyday. In any case, i use a wing and harness and could never wear a jacket style BC again.

2cents...

Well said Almost, not all :D

Suunto : Awsome kit. use it myself and recomend it to my students

Atomics: OVER PRICED OVER MARKETED TITANIUM CLAD GIMMICK. Titanium is a huge gimmick. ever heard of a regulator breaking? why pay fot titanium? Oooooo It's lighter! who cares! you're underwater! and you're most likely wearing a weightbelt! Parts are pricey, service centers are few nd far between. if they were so good why have I NEVER seen one? ever, diving all over the world? the tech folks don't use them? I'm srethey are a fine regulator, but they do nothing that a similar premium regulator cannot do for 1/2 to 2/3 the price.

Splitfins : ever tried to kick really hard in them? or Frog Kick? nuff said.

Integrated Air: not sure which one you mean so will discuss both. the Deathtrap that is the HUB and simmilar systems is what I think you mean. every tried to quickly remove the hose from one if the inflator button i stuck open? or oraly inflate with that stupid little hose? or even get at it while wearing heavy gloves? or if you are being rescued, want to have your buddy try and find it in a panic?

the other is integrated octopus/inflator. ever tried to share air on a 20" inflator hose?

well i'm glad you like your d9! lol! when did you work in cayman? a lot could have changed since then. i love my atomic B2 reg. i do a lot of deco diving, and even at depth's of 55 meters, i can lay on my back and look up, and the reg breaths like silk. it has never leaked air, even against a hard current, when i did a lot of driftdiving in the philippines. by the way, the guys at atomic use to design for scubapro. but everybody has there own opinions. and one of mine is that i absolutely hate the OLD inflator hose bc's. out with the old, in with the new.

Amphibious said:
Well said Almost, not all :D

open? or oraly inflate with that stupid little hose? or even get at it while wearing heavy gloves? or if you are being rescued, want to have your buddy try and find it in a panic?

the other is integrated octopus/inflator. ever tried to share air on a 20" inflator hose?

yes yes that horrible stupid hose that's like some sort of prosthetic urine bladder for people that can't pee rofl

ok, first of all, titanium being lighter is important, if you do travel all over the world, because almost all airlines are now charging ridiculous prices for over the limit bags, and they set their limits very low. second, having a light wt. reg in your mouth is very comfortable, and adds to your relaxing on the dive. third, titanium is the most corrosion proof metal on the planet. fourth, people on limited space boats, step on reg's, drop tanks on them, etc... having a stronger metal is an advantage. fifth, if you have titanium parts, you won't need a service center very often.
as far as integrated air, you have no idea what i am talking about, but island_sands does. integrated air means you don't have an inflator hose flopping all over the place, there are buttons on the lower side of the bc, that add's and releases air.
as for the split fins, i get great propulsion when i need it, but the thing is, in scuba diving your supposed to be divng relaxed, so why would you need to be kicking so hard. i know i get more forward thrust than most people i dive with, and i don't kick nearly as hard as they do.
finally, i don't know what part of the world you are diving, but in australasia, i see atomic reg's everywhere. they are a proven excellent reg. also, how many times in your entire diving career, excluding classes, have you ever had to orally inflate your vest? as far as your buddy trying to find out how to do it... isn't that what the predive check is all about? i suppose you hate integrated weights as well? sounds like you don't care for technology to me. a lot of divers get used to a piece of equipment, and when something new comes out, they bash it in an effort to resist change. i don't know if that's you, but it sure sounds close.

Last edited:
porsc said:
ok, first of all, titanium being lighter is important, if you do travel all over the world, because almost all airlines are now charging ridiculous prices for over the limit bags, and they set their limits very low. second, having a light wt. reg in your mouth is very comfortable, and adds to your relaxing on the dive.

So the extra $$$$$ is worth saving a few ounces?

porsc said:
third, titanium is the most corrosion proof metal on the planet.

untll you expose it to hyperoxic enviroments :D

porsc said:
fourth, people on limited space boats, step on reg's, drop tanks on them, etc... having a stronger metal is an advantage.

getting in the habbit of keeping your regs offtedeck ith fix this problem and save you lots of money :D

porsc said:
fifth, if you have titanium parts, you won't need a service center very often.

don't suppose they make their HP seat out of TI too?

porsc said:
as far as integrated air, you have no idea what i am talking about, but island_sands does. integrated air means you don't have an inflator hose flopping all over the place, there are buttons on the lower side of the bc, that add's and releases air.

Read my post again, this is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

porsc said:
as for the split fins, i get great propulsion when i need it, but the thing is, in scuba diving your supposed to be divng relaxed, so why would you need to be kicking so hard. i know i get more forward thrust than most people i dive with, and i don't kick nearly as hard as they do.

you're not supposed to have to rescue anyone in scuba diving either.

porsc said:
ok, first of all, titanium being lighter is important, if you do travel all over the world, because almost all airlines are now charging ridiculous prices for over the limit bags, and they set their limits very low. second, having a light wt. reg in your mouth is very comfortable, and adds to your relaxing on the dive. third, titanium is the most corrosion proof metal on the planet. fourth, people on limited space boats, step on reg's, drop tanks on them, etc... having a stronger metal is an advantage. fifth, if you have titanium parts, you won't need a service center very often.

interesting.
check out these threads
split fins

titanium regs (dangerous for eanx)

maybe light, but for the popularity of using Nitrox they are not recommended.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT