• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Poseidon Equipment????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
there are a lot of guys here (australasia) that have been using ti regs with nitrox for years, and never had any problems. besides, i've never seen anything factual that states RESEARCH has shown that there is a problem with using ti with nitrox.
as far as the split fins go, maybe i just have a lot stronger legs than most people, but i've never been left wanting for power when i did need it. i am a fairly muscular guy, so maybe for other people they don't give the kick i get out of them. i love them much better than any of the solid fins i have used in the past. the buckles are awesome!
everybody has different likes and dislikes. my kit has worked for me in all sorts of different conditions, so i have no complaints, except my mask. i use a scupapro, but the angle of vision isn't great. so, i am looking to get either the cressi sub matrix or the tusa viewtrek m-23. any thoughts on those?

porsc said:
there are a lot of guys here (australasia) that have been using ti regs with nitrox for years, and never had any problems. besides, i've never seen anything factual that states RESEARCH has shown that there is a problem with using ti with nitrox.

check this out
http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/Equipment.shtml
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11622&view=findpost&p=77140
http://www.scubaboard.com/archive/index.php/t-12362.html

your risk... :)

masks... i never liked huge masks like the Big Eyes etc - i use a Sporasub Samurai as you hardly have to equalise it.

So Johnspear04....what do you think of Poseidon regs now that you have read all the above??rofl

as far as the split fins go, maybe i just have a lot stronger legs than most people, but i've never been left wanting for power when i did need it. i am a fairly muscular guy, so maybe for other people they don't give the kick i get out of them. i love them much better than any of the solid fins i have used in the past. the buckles are awesome!rofl

They were rubbish when I was wearing them- trying to push double 112's through the water with a couple of 80's under my arm and it felt like I had 'kiddie' fins on my feet. Same thing I saw when people try to play underwater hockey in them- floppy noodles. I prefer a nice Scuba pro jet fin or, even better when wearing a drysuit, a Turtle fin. As far as buckels go, I don't use them- spring straps don't break when you need them most.:inlove

As far as an easy breathing reg goes, just add some helium to your mix and you can make any pice of crap breath like a dream . :) Of all the regs I've owned over the years I liked my Apkes the best of all- got rid of my Posiden after it started shooting chunks of ice down my throat during a slavage job
(nothing quite gets your attention like diving under 4' of pack ice in 6" vis with a slushy forming at the back of your throat because of your regulator!). I had another buddy whose Posieden froze up on him pretty solid and stopped giving him air altogether- due to it's upstream nature. Normally you would grab a back-up reg, but he had his mounted into a full face mask at the time and made a rather hurried ascent. MAybe they have fixed these issues witht he new Extreme series, but they lost me as a customer forever.

A friend of mine treid out of the atomics and said it breathed great but free flowed on him- he had it mounted on a deco bottle and was diving in 39F water. Spent his time turning the valve on and off to get through his deco- now dives Scubapro or Apeks instead. Only shop that I know who carries them sells the Brass versions and not the titianium- same ease of breathing for less money and no questions about high O2 or not.

Something to think about is where you will be diving and who you'll be diving with. It does you know good to have the most expensive reg in the world if you can't get it fixed when out on a trip- unless your like me and always carry extra parts with you so you can do a full tear down, and rebuild, while out on the boat (you also need to be a certified regulator tech for the brand of reg your working on to do this).

Jon

i agree with you, jon, about it depending where you dive, what kind of diving your doing and with whom. maybe the reason i don't experience the problems with splits is because i don't dive in a drysuit, or with all of the tech equipment. i only dive in the tropics, and with normal sport gear on. i guess if you are pushing a lot more gear around, it would be a different situation.

island_sands,
after reading those links, again it's all a bunch of hearsay. and several people eluded to the fact that those warnings of nitrox and ti regs is only for mixtures over 40%. i have spent the last several hours searching the net, and have yet to find any case where the diver was using 40% or less. so maybe this is a tech problem, but not a sportdiver problem.
as a matter of fact, here's a quote from an informed tech., and what he is saying makes all the sense in the world:

"The titanium-nitrox thing is a bit of a myth.

yes, given sufficient heat, a spark, and a pure o2 environment, titanium will combust. But so will marine brass and stainless steel. At considerably lower temperatures, in fact.
So will copper, invar, and inconel.

Use your Ti reg with nitrox with confidence. It will not combust. Brass sparks more than Ti. Remember that adiabatic decompression keeps the reg cooler as well. I would be surprised if one could release nitrox (even 50%) across a regulator orifice at speeds sufficient to create titanium sparking.
Not only that, but a Mk. 25 has a "blunt" orifice and tapered seat, so the likelyhood of creating a fire in an O2 clean piece of kit is pretty remote.

Interestingly, pure O2 flows through many titanium parts in aviation O2 systems, including valves."

when ever something new comes along, people always have fears, and misinformation swirls around it, and companies put out warnings to protect themselves until research can be done. remember how padi reacted when nitrox first came out. they were totally against it. padi said that nitrox was dangerous, and shouldn't be used; now they are promoting it!

Last edited:
porsc said:
remember how padi reacted when nitrox first came out. they were totally against it. padi said that nitrox was dangerous, and shouldn't be used; now they are promoting it!

rofl
Nitrox or correctly termed, Enriched Air (as we are all breathing nitrox on a daily basis) - IS dangerous! that's why there are special procedures for diving with it.. if you dont follow the proper procedures for breathing enriched air you can take a nasty knock.
Ask me, i know! oxtox is not a pleasant experience :yack

A friend of mine bought a titanium scubapro regulator and he was told specifically by the Scubapro dealer not to use it with N2.

Better safe... than frizzed!

for that matter, scuba diving is dangerous, just ask those who have, due to not following protocol, found themselves in a life threatening situation. rock climbing is dangerous, driving your car is dangerous if you don't follow specific guidelines.
my point is that, if you get the training, and follow the guidelines, "enriched air nitrox" isn't any more dangerous than diving on air, in fact it can be even safer.
when it first came out, padi said that it shouldn't be used at all, and now it is very popular, and becoming more so every day.

i'm really into lifting, and staying in shape. and when creatine started to become popular, a couple of people throughout the the states, died while participating in sports. several of those deaths were linked to creatine, and so there was a general panic, and a lot of information swirled around, saying that creatine was dangerous, and people should stop using it. but i had been using it since the early days and never had any problems. well, after a time it was found that in every single case of death, the athletes were taking it at a level from 8 to 14 times the recommended usage. so all of that panic was because people were abusing it, or not following guidelines. to this day, i still use it, and have never experienced any drawbacks because of it. so, i think this situation is very similar. as time goes by, i think eanx will continue to gain popularity and diving on a normal mix of 21% for all but deep dives, will become a thing of the past.

Last edited:
After reading all the problems with poseidon it makes me wonder why this is the only scuba reg that this lot will sell. I had better tell them to stock something else..... www.divex.co.uk rofl

I personally own both Cyklons and Jetstreams - Yeah - parts are a pain in the ass, but they do breathe very nice up here in the PacNW (Yo Amphibious - wassup dude???) I dive with a Poseidon analog console and use a wrist mounted computer - gotta love redundency - Not sure what my verdict is yet on the Poseidon regs - I love to hate them and hate to love them - mixed blessing/curse I guess...

But I purchased mine used and had them gone thru and they were in great shape so I can't complain on the price I paid for them...

I plan on putting them thru their paces this year while shooting video projects on some environmental short form documentaries I am developing...

I just read a review on Poseidon's BeSee line - pain to set up, but from what I understand from the article - the most comfortable BC there is - I think I read that the person who designed the line use to work for Hassleblad - 'nuff said...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT