• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pressure/Sore throat during statics...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TexasBlue84

Oct 6, 2002
Ive started using Apnea tables to do some dry static training, as I dont get to dive very often. When I am doing it I notice that there is alot of pressure on my lungs, especially at the top. Also, after about the 50 second mark, my throat begins to get sore...

Anyone else have this happen to them, or have any advice on how to alleviate these symtoms? Or is this normal, especially for beginners?

Thanks in advance,
TB84

I sometimes get a bit of the sore throat after doing many statics. Try relaxing all your chest and diaphram muscles as best as you can. Use as little energy as you can to keep the air in.

Does it help at all to take in slightly less air ? If so pack stretching might help to make your chest muscles looser.

Lastly, Paul Kotik (Deeper Blue Editor and all around nice guy) described a technique to me for using your tongue instead of your throat muscles to keep the air in. (He heard about it from Bill Stromberg) I haven't quite figured that out yet, but he swears by it.

Good luck ! :)

I think I always use my tongue to keep the air in, but it would be good to know more about Paul Kotik's technique.

Lucia

Eric Fattah has a number of exercises in his classic document that describes the Fresnel technique and equalization techniques derived from it (Fresnel-Fattah).

Among the topics in the document are a number of exercises that walk the reader through the various mechanisms that can be used to block air, re-route air etc. These include exercises that involve forming a seal by pressing the tongue against the roof of the mouth. Hopefuly this is related to the technique that Meir is describing.

Eric's document has some nice figures that help sort out the mechanics of what's going on when you use various techniques to block or re-route air -- pretty much considered a "must read" document.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT