• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Problem with D4

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

strangelove

Mar 13, 2005
Hi

My friend from Brazil is having a problem with his D4, he was going to dive in one place so he activated his watch in free dive mode, but he changed his mind and did not dive. Went somewhere else, took him 40 minutes, the watch locked up and the screen does not changed.

Any suggestions ?

View attachment 25577

Last edited:
The only way to reset the watch software is probably to take the battery out, however, be careful because they are sealed units and it would need to be resealed.

my 2 cents

joe

Reactions: strangelove
You can try asking on Suunto's forum. There are some real experts, and sometimes the staff answers questions too.

Suunto Discussions: Freediving

EDIT: there is for example this thread, which may be of interest, but I am currently unable to access it, so do not know whether it contains any useful tip: D6, lock out from scuba diving on a freedive!???

EDIT2: I managed to get ot the conntent through Google cache. It looks the lock-out took 48 hours in this particular case, so if it is not already longer in the case of your friend, you better wait before doing any other attempts to reset it.

Last edited:
Reactions: strangelove
Not sure if you saw my updates, so look at my previous post, if you did not see them before posting yourself

Thanks joe !

Not a problem strangelove.. It seems from reading that thread that it should only lock out for 24 hours? If that is the case then thats ok, but removing the battery would be the last resort, and it should do the job :t, but for the mean time just ask your friend to wait 24 hours :D

Joe

Thanks guys, I am passing that up to my friend, he was diving yesterday (lucky dog), got a bunch of fish too.
I will post the results.

They actually write about 48 hours there too, so waiting at least 48 hours before other attempts would be wise. Removing the battery at D4 by the user is not recommended, though it is possible.

I just heard back from my friend, it has being 72 hours since the last dive, the watch has not reset yet.

Was this ever resolved stranglove just glanced at my D4 this evening no diving or in water in months and its gone into some kinda mode that I have not seen before, depth is flashing 0.0 and the temp is reading the room temp

if i hit the top left (select) button up comes "bookmark 0 stored"

Bottom left down button toggles between corect time and flashing depth button

backlight button puts on backlight ok

bottom right button toggles between dive tim now at 166 minutes an counting to temp to dive number which is 1
trying to access suunto forums but aren't loading correctly.

no combination of holding buttons down seems to do anything so will have to wait 48 hours to see is resets itself.

Reactions: apneaboy
This is the last display on my:

View attachment 26824

I was also told by suunto brazil that some early model may required firmware updates. This is the serial number on my 82204775

This is going to be a long story with a happy ending.

When I started this thread the D4 had lock up when changing modes, from Free Dive to Scuba.
The watch was sent to suunto Brazil, the display was still on with a single number, suunto Brazil told me (my friend in Brazil)," the problem was a firmware update very common on the early models of D4, the repair would be free, but the shipping from Brazil to Finland would be 250 dollars."

Me and my friend in Brazil found 250 too expensive, and asked suunto brazil to sent the watch back, when reciving the watch the display was off, we both found odd, I told my friend to mail me watch (to america), since it was bought here in US, I was under the impression that would be easier to deal with that from U.S.

When I received the watch, I've contacted suunto america, that told me all the repairs in U.S. were done by aqualung, so I contacted aqualung then mail the watch to them. After a couple of days the store contacted me, telling me that who ever have service the watch has misplace the battery cover damaging the golden contacts, to fix that would 150 dollars, just to make it work, then check what was wrong to begin with. Since the watch was bought over the internet aqualung would not warranty.

That was very disturbing, this whole issue with internet purchases of suunto in America, was somewhat troubling, I have a 1999 toyota tacoma, I am forth owner and still get recall notices.

The watch was just a year old when it broke, it was still a suunto eventough I bought over the internet, so I told aqualung to mail me the watch back (they did with no charge - at least that).

My friend in Brazil (the watch owner), during this time, had contacted suunto Brazil - actually the guy who service the watch, told him about the issue with the golden contacts, the guy told several different stories, but at the end - two or three weeks of exchanges he gave us an email of someone in Suunto Finland.

Then I email this person in suunto finland, he told me to mail the watch to him, that would be repair or give me new one.

I am still in Brazil, but my wife (who is in Alaska) just told me suunto sent me a new watch, great, but U.S. suunto costumer need to be aware aqualung/internet issue, make sure to register your watch.

That totaly change my perception about the brand, I was very upset, now I am quite impressed.

Also the D4 is not like the D3, should only be service by suunto (the rep in Brazil was not certified on D4).

I am sorry about the long story. Happy ending

Last edited:
Thaks strangelove the display is exactly the same as mine except the 999 but will be in a few hours time. I know the sevice agent well enough so maybe back it goes. I had d3 whcih of course broke and they replaced with d4 but I paid a little extra at the time as d3 was about a year old.

Must be the firmware update, what is the serial number on yours, does it start with 8 or 9.

BTW my issue took 6 months to resolve, my friend bought another D4 now he has two !

I've heard here in Finland from a person from Suunto company, that they had problems with D3, but D4 has been very realiably, extremly few D4 have come back to them for repair (less than 1/1000).

We have D3 and D4 for freediving, both have worked very well.

Last edited:
I take my hat to suunto standing by their product, before the final outcome I was looking for a alternative to the D4, now I am solid suunto, no looking around.

Hi.

I have a brand new Suunto D4, serial starting with 9 and i'm having same lock down with my whatch (same as in the picture earlier).

I contacted to Suunto and they adviced me to send my watch back to them for repair, but i really don't want to do that coz i'm travelling at the moment and not going back home for a while.

So guys do you think that resetting the watch would be enough to get it back to work?

Thanx.

Juhani

Juhani I know its a pain but if you try a reset by taking out the batteries I would guess your invalidating the warranty as its meant to be only done by a technichan and they may give that as a reason not to sort you out then.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT